RocketArenaUT - I miss you!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SuperGoop

Mar 26, 2004
There are various version of RA (mostly for 2003), but none so simple and fun as the original RA for UT1999. You will remember that each "map/theme" contained a cluster of 4-5 smaller maps that players can jump in or out.

What I liked the most was that only the game rules changed. All weapons and gameplay remained untouched.

It took a simple idea from the arcade fighting games like Street Fighter, or Virtua Fighter. It is a 1-on-1 fight to the death with no extra health or ammo. Everybody else just stood in line watching as spectulator. The winner stays on, and the loser goes to the end of the line. SO SIMPLE and yet it kept me playing for hundreds of hours in the good old days of UT1999. There is so much strategy involved in this simple cat-and-mouse / gladiator gameplay. I miss it and hope someone will make it popular again.

Interestingly, the original release link is still active:

http://www.planetunreal.com/arena/ and http://www.planetunreal.com/arena/maps.html#Akuma

Below are some screenshots from RA-UT1999 - they still look good to me (5 years later)! Click the above links to see more screenshots.

ra-ebolt1-1.jpg

ra-davidm22-1.jpg

ra-akuma1-1.jpg

DDRRE

Flesh is a design flaw.
Feb 13, 2004
Israel
:)
Most Israeli UT1 servers are based upon RA....
Too bad I can't seem to play UT1 anymore, it's too hard without double dodging and double jumping.

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
Now that's one mod I would be down for.

'cept the thing is, this ut2004 rocket launcher ain't quite what the 99 version was...that will take getting used to. Not too fond of it.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Having said that, I'm not certain that Rocketeer is exactly like the UT RocketArena. Word was that the original coder for RocketArena UT was working on it, but that's been ages, so I'm guessing it fell through.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
Rocket Arena is my favorite modification for ANY game, ever. One of my best chances at Godlike happened playing it, and the tournament I established many eons ago (4 years :p) was pretty fun until people got bored of it. :p

Let's hope we see it again, in any sort.