Ideas for spotting an aimbot...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Smid

Apr 5, 2001
Here
Visit site
I think I can spot them (play on instagib server), and can tell the difference between a good player and someone who's aim is a bit too accurate and consistent... Good players have good and bad days...

So an idea is, that I suspect someone of using an aimbot, so once I get out of its range, I go off to a quite hiding spot, feign death and wait (somewhere like right at the back of the base in CTF-Face, just in sight from middle of map).

If they zap me from a distance, when I'm feigning, its a sure sign?

Reckon this will work?

Smid

KixAhhz

Banned
May 4, 2001
itcam.filetap.com
Dunno about the map as it wont run without crashing my UT proggy......as for is feigning death a good way...If I see someone layin there, and I got half a chance, I gib them just to make sure. I guess if they are killin yer barly visible corpse(fake) from half a map away it might be a give away...:instagib:

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
aimboted.png

:rolleyes:

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
Feigning death in insta gib is stupid since most good players know that your body explodes when shot and doesn't leave a corpse except for when a player switches teams. I shoot all feigned players when playing. Sitting back and trying to determine if someone is a little too good or not is stupid anyway. Every day I play there is someone that is convinced that my aim is a little too good.

The best way to tell is just watch the player play. If all they do is sit up on the tower and fire away and rack up large amounts of kills but can't seem to do anything else worth a Sh*t then they are probably cheating. But if going 1 on 1 against someone and they are all over you maneuvering and dodging like a mad man then this is a good sign they are just good.

The sure fire way to tell is just switch to the persons team, Hit F5 to switch to their view. Type BEHINDVIEW 0 to see through their eyes. Now watch his screen and see if it instantly locks on to targets. The keyword is instant here, don't confuse it with someone with fast reflexes.

as long as they're not on a really low ping, you can normally get in close enough for a quick battle. As you dodge around, a true aimbot will always be looking directly at you, whereas a human will often track you a lot slower, and, on occasion will turn the wrong way.
Switching teams and behindviewing is the only real way of knowing, but what I said will give you a good idea.
Also, if they have twice everyone else's score, and still run in straight lines and don't exhibit any real tactical skill, that's a bit of a giveaway, but ffs, spec before you accuse, I'm getting sick of being called an aimbot after about 2 minutes of playing...

whoah, I'm running out of 2 cents here...

My_Oozing_Eye|PuF

The Original Brother Ooze!
Apr 7, 2000
Minneapolis, MN, USA
Visit site
Or....

Or you could just play on servers with CSHP ;) Then you wouldn't have to worry about it would you?

Seriously though, you guys are making WAY too many accusations about aimbot usage... there just are not that many people using it.

MOe

Rev.Whoopass

Sperm Bot
Aug 5, 2000
Connecticut
Visit site
Feigning death is not a way to catch a suspect botter.I will ALWAYS shoot a dead carcass on the ground,whether it is CTF,TDM,INSTA.....it is a good thing to do,just use a primary shock ,and sometimes you actually get a frag.

Stephanie

Nov 6, 2000
Visit site
Actually it's not as dumb an idea as some of you think. Cause when people feign death, the aimbot usually misses that person cause it either aims for the head of the body. If you notice someone keeps firing a shot right above you then that's a pretty good sign they're an aimbot.

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by Stephanie
Actually it's not as dumb an idea as some of you think. Cause when people feign death, the aimbot usually misses that person cause it either aims for the head of the body. If you notice someone keeps firing a shot right above you then that's a pretty good sign they're an aimbot.

Erm.. somehow I doubt that.. Ill leave my trust in CSHP and my own judgement thanks :)

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Best way to see if someones an aimbot user. Spec them with behindview 0, and see if they track people thro walls. Aimbots will track people thro walls, real players certainly wont track a player thro a wall with their crosshair.

Smid

Apr 5, 2001
Here
Visit site
The ultimate solution to an aimbot is really just to leave the server...

Slick_willy, as for bodies exploding in instagib, not always. I've seen dead bots in instagib lying around, and you can always crater in Face...

Smid

DeeperShade

Banned
Dec 8, 2000
www.tar-valon.com
Originally posted by Smid
The ultimate solution to an aimbot is really just to leave the server...

Slick_willy, as for bodies exploding in instagib, not always. I've seen dead bots in instagib lying around, and you can always crater in Face...

Smid

Erm.. but if you crater, then you explode.... erm... how long have you been playing UT? :p

Slick_Willy

Anyone Else Want Some?
and the bots are laying around because they switched teams and left a corpse, like I said. There maybe other ways to leave a corpse but I'm sure it rarely happens.

Still, as far as spotting aimbots, it just takes experience. I can usually detect someone everytime but I've been playing a while and know the game inside and out and I've tested many bots so I know how they work. The worst thing you can do is open your mouth when you don't know for sure. Accusations that aren't true only make you look like a dumb a$$. I was playing someone last night and everytime I shot him he had something to say: "That's impossible", "BS", "No one can aim that fast", "Nice Aimbot", "You must suck really bad to have to cheat" <- My favorite. Only problem was he was with me and others on a server that know me so we all couldn't help but just sit back and think what a total loser this guy is.

Smid

Apr 5, 2001
Here
Visit site
The few times I've decided that the player has an aimbot, its easier to just walk away than complain. I only ever mention it to others if I know them, and have specc'ed them...

I see vastly uneven teams far me than suspected
aimbots. 6 vs 1?

Smid

Boogey

Talvin Singh fanboy
Aug 31, 2000
Visit site
Yeah, speccing with behindview 0 is the way to go. Even if the user of the aimbot can switch it on/off by holding down a key or sumthing, he's gonna have a HARD time to disguise it if you know what to look for.

For instance, the other day I specced someone I suspected to be an aimbot user (I wasn't the only one to suspect this). At one time he was chasing someone with the mini (hardly used anything else), as some other dude was launched right past him at great speed by the splash of some rockets, and his aim instantly locked on to this fastmoving midair target and mowed him down (while flying) in a fraction of a second. :rolleyes:

At some other point he was apparently too slow at turning it off as he made alot'o'holes in the floor as his target fell off a ledge.

He denied the use of the bot with the reasoning that the server had cshp4w installed, but left the server after the game.

Valk

Mom, kitty's being a dildo!!
Dec 21, 2000
Great Lakes State
Visit site
I don't even think that behindview 0 is %100 either. I was on a lame-o all face pub last weekend, and this guy joined named something-bot. He was obviously using some sort of aim/elfbot, as he went godlike with sniper only in just a few moments. I changed to his team and specced with behindview 0 for the rest of the game. It didn't really look like any out of the ordinary. I know the latest version of the elfbot allows for smooth movement for aiming, and other anti detection type settings. In this case it was totally obvious due to his score, taunts, and his name, but I can see how it may be hard to prove in other cases....

On a side note, I've played with the latest elfbot offline, and I can't understand how people can use stuff like that. I actually found it harder to play with it, than without it....totally dumb.