Midway + In-Game Advertising

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

RaptoR

been here far too long
May 7, 2000
UK
www.androidcentral.com
Gamasutra is reporting that UT2007 publisher Midway Games is expanding its in-game advertising programme, dealing with in-game advertisers Double Fusion.

"Major publisher and developer Midway has announced a significant expansion of its in-game advertising strategy, revealing a multi-year, multi-game deal with in-game ad firm Double Fusion to provide dynamic, in-game advertising to upcoming Midway titles.

According to the firms, the deal includes multiple next generation titles, including Stranglehold, the forthcoming Midway title developed in collaboration with John Woo, as well as other un-named titles. This announcement is one of the first major publisher deals for Double Fusion, which recently announced a $10 million financing round, and is one of the notable players in the in-game ad market alongside Massive Inc. and IGA Partners.

More here.

Thanks to Iceboy2003 for sending this one our way.

communist

Mar 19, 2002
Vandenberg Airbase
Visit site
:tdown::mad:
If that means they'll reduce the price - OK - but that is not gonna happen I think. So we're going to pay so they can deliver us in-game ads. I'm sure there will be ways of blocking it, like blocking their servers unless they run game specific stuff on the same ip. For any SP game this wont work much - for internet mp.. arent we suffering enough lag and what not?

mackey

Cometh the apocalypse.
Aug 27, 2004
England
www.fpscentral.com
I can see advertising fitting in in some games (like Anarchy Online with it's billboards, they feel appropriate to the setting) but other games, not so sure.

World War II games with advertising? Sonic/Mario? You know what I mean. You would loose the atmosphere and for me, would totally spoil the experience.

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Yeah, maybe they need to start advertising that 2k7 exists and not rely soley on third party sites like BuF to spread the word. :c

Oh and I really do hope that 2k7 doesn't have in game advertising. I know I'd not play it with advertising in the game and within a week there would be a mut that would get rid of it.

Manticore

Official BUF Angel of Death (also Birthdays)
Staff member
Nov 5, 2003
Optimum Trajectory-Circus of Values
NegativeTrend said:
Not buying UT2007 if it has this crap in it.

Selerox said:
This had better not be in UT2007.

Stick this as an addition to the list of ways to screw up UT2007.....

Fordy said:
Im not playing any game with poxy in-game advertising. If i want to see adverts i'll switch on the tv or read a mag.
Damn straight.

EggBoy

Apr 26, 2005
This would be fine if it just means product placement, which they do in many good movies and tv shows. Can't hurt if the vending machines in HL2 or Deus Ex actually had the Coke brand on them instead of some fictional stuff. It would add to the immersion. In limited quantities it would be fine for sports games too.

But if they put big banner ads all over the place in UT or other games where it just doesnt fit in, its just gonna hugely piss people off unless the game is freeware. Should be easy enough to remove them anyway so its pointless.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I am definitely finished with the Unreal series if this happens.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Nemephosis said:
I am definitely finished with the Unreal series if this happens.

Though if things like this get a foothold it will probably spread meaning with other companies following suite and you'd have to quit gaming all together. :|

I'm gunna get thrashed for saying this, but in "realistic games" (such as CS:S, BF2 etc.) I probably would'nt mind so much. As at the moment games have 'fake' bilboards anyways depicting fake soda ad's etc. So in games like that I don't see that much harm... as their in esence there anyways as they are trying to reproduce a real life setting and real life settings will mean that ads like bilboards are present anyways.
But I deffenatly don't wanna see an add for e.g. Mazda in UT 2007... infact I don't wanna see an add for any brand I know in UT 2007 as that is in an unreal setting . (hope you catch my drift)

Last edited:

Blaaguuu

taunt pthrust
May 27, 2002
Earshot of monkeys
Visit site
Unless ads in a game fit well, like its a modern game wher eyou are out on the streets, and you see stores and billboard, and they dont seem forced, i will not buy a game with ads. Games are already to expensive, and if it provided a way for publishers to lower prices and still know they will get a good profit, then i might be OK with seeign a few ads... but i doubt they are planning to lower prices. Are Electronic Arts and Midway really in such desperate need for money as to piss on the consumers to make an extra few bucks?

Know this Epic... if midway makes you put ads in UT2007, you better find a new publisher quick, because as much as it would pain me, i will not buy it.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
|dub| said:
Though if things like this get a foothold it will probably spread meaning with other companies following suite and you'd have to quit gaming all together. :|
Then I would.

swag

Global Agenda Dev
Jan 12, 2004
Upside your head
Seems to me that the advertisement gimmic was to help avert the cost of the game development .. seems to me now that it's nothing more than ingame spam. And not the good kind either! :lol:

atticbat

FragBait
I suppose it would be cool if you could shoot the messenger :) Like having annoying suits pop up in game with signs advertising shiznit and you could get extra 'points' for fragging them ;)

I suupose we shall also see the advent of 'ad-lag', as the game server loads up a new block of advertising as you are getting ready for that ultimate head shot only to see it lock up momentarily, returning to smooth gameplay in time to see that twelve year old frag your a$$ and having to listen to the commercial as the rag doll effects kick in.

Though... heh... I could see between map 'ads' or death 'ads' that play in those moments between playing.

*this post brought to you by Duh-reetos*