Have you read LOTR?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which have you read?

• I tried to read the Lord of the Rings....

Votes: 1 4.3%
  • I've read the Lord of the Rings once

Votes: 6 26.1%
  • I've read the Lord of the Rings several times

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I've read LOTR several times, and tried to read the Silmarillion

Votes: 5 21.7%
  • I've read LOTR several times, and read the Silmarillion

Votes: 4 17.4%
  • I've not even tried to read LOTR

Votes: 3 13.0%

• Total voters

iolair

Mostly Harmless
Jun 4, 2001
Asturias, España
neil.gratton.org
With the impending release of the film :)D woohoo!!!), how many people here have actually read the book?

Well, if you haven't ... the film is no excuse not to, as it will be taking a different take on some things in the book, and leaving others out altogether (otherwise the 3 films would total more than 24 hours...)

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I am read the LOTR's for my 3rd time right now. I havent read the book in 2 years. Its in my opinion one of the best books ever created. The hobbit is most favorite, which is the prequel to LOTR. I have read the hobbit 3 times also.

The Dopefish

Eat your veggies!
Apr 17, 2000
Springfield, MA, USA
When I want to read a book that is coming out in the theaters (or is already out), I'll see the movie first, then read the book. I do that because the two compliment each other in a way. For example, Fight Club. I saw the movie first and got the basic idea of the book, then I read the book and got a more in-depth look at what the movie was supposed to show.

Karma 13

Licensed to Bore into Submission
Oct 20, 2001
Outer Moon of Phobos
Visit site
Jeez, it's been probably ten, maybe twelve years ago since I read it. Still remember the plotline, for the most part. Didn't really do anything for me at the time, but then again, I was like twelve. Maybe I'll give it another go if I can find the time....

gramps

Mar 27, 2000
www.crookram.net
i'm re-reading it right now, for the 6th or 7th time i reckon. :) i just love it! i tried to read the Silmarillion(sp?) but it got boring real fast for some reason. still, LOTR and The Hobbit are excellent books.

/me can't wait to see the movie. it will blow Harry Potter away!

The_Inflictor

Honest and unmerciful
Mar 25, 2000
Midlands
I've read LOTR 2.5 times.

The last time I touched it was nearly 10 years ago when my family was driving across Canada (Saskatoon to Vancouver). Our holiday ended and I never bothered to finish the book.

I've read the Hobbit as well (after reading the LOTR the first time) but haven't got round to the Silmarillion.

Anyone remember the animated version that was never finished because the guy who was doing it died?

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I've read about 0.6 of it. I didnt like it, his writing style frankly sucked. He went into far too much detail describing exactly what things looked like. I dont like it when writers *force* you to see it their way. I like to use my imagination to picture the scene.

_Zd_3s_

Regristered User
Originally posted by LordKhaine
I've read about 0.6 of it. I didnt like it, his writing style frankly sucked. He went into far too much detail describing exactly what things looked like. I dont like it when writers *force* you to see it their way. I like to use my imagination to picture the scene.
:con:
I'm sorry, but IMO that's just bull****. :) I think it's just the opposite. Tolkien left a lot to your own imagination. :)

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Each to his own I guess, I just found his style overly detailed and frankly boring. I like to imagine the finer points of whats happening, and its annoying to see half of the book covering tiny things best left to the imagination.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
The trick to getting through the Silmarillion is to get past the beginning days. Once Melkor is unchained and Feanor gets all paranoid.... OOOOOOOhhhhh Then it ghets Danm good.

Suck'a[osX]

Jan 23, 2001
Visit site
LOTR.....mmmmmmmmm

LOTR is such an epic and wonderfully written tale. the imagary and events that Tolkien present are nothing short of spectacular. i have read LOTR 3 times and am now only beginning to discover all the depth put into Middle Earth. The movie is going to no doubt rock the movie world (especially in the fantasy genre...which has never really impressed me all that much anyway) There is no doubt however that this is a tough trilogy to read and takes a significant amount of attention to fully appreciate, but if you have any interest in fantasy whatsoever, then this is the ultimate series to read :) oh yeah..i have tried the silmarillion, but i coulndt seem to get though the first part...but from what i hear it gets cool so i have decided to pick it back up again today.

2 more weeks...just 2 more weeks :D

Divinorum[osX]