Quake III a joke

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

THE**WRAITH_DS

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
I hate to admit it, but Quake is worse then UT when it comes to connections.. But that doesnt mean nothing!!!

------------------
I am the one!!!!

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
Connections? Well, I get better pings playing Quake 3, nearly 50ms lower than UT. Q3 fortunately doesn't lag me as to where I end up being placed over an edge and fall into lava, etc. Unreal Tournament pings are average of about 120 for me lately. Although UT doesn't give me the phone jack like Q3 does, it can be laggy and that throws off my shooting and I sometimes end up falling off of ledges.

If I have any argument to make, it's that all of id software's games have GREAT networking and I always get good pings and have no problems with lag except occassionaly. I won't credit Epic until I can get below 100 pings in more than half the games I play because that is what I get when I play Q3.

Q3 I get below 100ms ping about 80% of the time, UT I get over 100ms ping like 80% of the time.

Satsu

Nov 20, 1999
place
Oh yeah, and one more thing. What's up with Unreal and Unreal Tournament? Whenever I play a LAN game of Unreal/UT I get a 30-60 ping, WTF!? That's the ping I get when I play friends through cable modems that live 5 miles away. When I play Q3 LAN game the pings range from 0-10 and it's not laggy.

XSenergy

Nov 26, 1999
Arlington, TX USA
Visit site
Satsu, numbers don't mean sh*t. Epic could have made it say you have 500 ping when it was really 50 and people like you would be dumb enough to believe it and whine. So you think when you host you're supposed to get 0 ping right? Well let's see, in Quake2 you get a ping of like 30 to 50 when hosting. It's still instantaneous and there is no lag time whatsoever. There is no lag, it's just a damn number. When you have 30 ping, do you really even notice it? I mean are you a f*ckin' robot or something? There's no way a human can notice that unless they put reaction implants in your *** or something. The number says 50, but it may actually be 10 or 20 or maybe even 100. When you played Shogo on a lan, you would never get pings over 5, but that's what it said. It wasn't really that instant. I hope epic releases a patch one day which displays pings 100% higher than usual without touching the netcode to see how many people complain about the ping instead of the actual lag.

bullet2.gif

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

Fireseal

LOL XSenergy /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif True, oh so true. Oh, and stop complaining about your damn pings you stupid LPB's!! At least you aren't using dial-up, geez.

bullet2.gif

What is the average flight speed of an unladen swallow?

Putrefaction

Nov 17, 1999
people.we.mediaone.net
The pings shown UT are VERY inaccurate. If you look at the score board ping and compare it with the stat net(f6) ping and compare that with the gamespy ping and compare that with the ingame browser ping, the are ALL very different. In gamespy, it will show a game with 50 ping, then when I enter the scoreboard show 180, the stat net shows 90, and the ingame browser will show 120. Sometimes the scoreboard will show a ping of 240 or something high but when I play I have no lag. I use gamespy with every game and it is pretty much correct in the ping times, so I assume the gamespy pings are right. I rarely see a ping under 100 for me on the scoreboard but it feels like I know I playing with a 40 ping. So what I am saying is, the scoreboard sucks!

THE**WRAITH_DS

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
Well not to critisize, but I saw no difference in my ping playing QIII although I will honestly admit graphics in UT are way better then QIII by a long shot!! Someone showed me where this download for a good modem optimizer was and it works up to a point, I feel if I adjust it just to a certain point It cleans alot up in a game,however it will raise your ping above its normal reading if it is set by the programs recomended settings,and slow some web pages down from loading up faster.. I also experimented around by lowering my max tic from 20 down to 10 and seems to have and effect on game play,and plan on raising it one # at a time to see if I can balance out the gameplay.. I find that setting the net speed to 5000 is maybe to high for my connection so I plan to lower it to 4500 to see if that will even out.. I really felt that if QIII is going to look like the latest demo they have, then I think I will pass buying the full version.. I was not impressed with the game at all,and UT definitly rocks over QIII graphics , levels, weapons and playability.. I am quite happy with my robot voice and skin and feel that I do not need no other skins to make me play the game.. I may be having problems over the net playing the game, but I eventually will overcome that problem somehow.. Even if I have to knock a cablemodem user over the head and steal his cablemodem /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif Just kidding.. My town will have that option sometime next year, although their behind in the times I will wait patiently.. But when it does happen you will know about it hehe.... I like UT more then you people think I do, and don't mistake me for what I have been raving about in the past in this forum.. Yes I admit I get an attitude problem pretty quick, but if you have been through what I have you would understand..Anyways back off to the drawling board I go...

bullet2.gif

I am the one!!!!

IlIIllllI1

gheym0
Nov 21, 1999
q3 joke ha! look at ut its already dead!!
unrealisdead.jpg

[This message has been edited by IlIIllllI1 (edited 12-03-1999).]

Nov 29, 1999
Florida
Visit site
well i bought Q3A, and its safe to say that UT is in no danger. Q3A full is just the test with more skins/models and maps. Its not a bad game but the connections i was getting were horrible. It is also no where near the speed of UT(set on Hardcore).
I think ID is slipping in thier old age...hehe

The Gravedigger

Nov 25, 1999
Yeah, ID has better marketing: Q3A lies about ping, it displays WAY lower in the browser than it actually is. Hence, some newbie idiots draw the conclusion that the ping is actually lower.

bootybandit

flak spammer extraordinaire
Nov 28, 1999
L.A. (lower alabama)
Visit site
Being stuck with a 56K dial-up, I hardly pay attention to the ping in the UBrowser. I just start joining servers until I find a good connection. The ping numbers indicate virtually nothing about the actual connection quality.

TheQat

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
I've found the ping numbers in UT online to be fairly accurate until I'm in the game. Even outside of it, though, the pings get off track VERY quickly, i.e. 15 seconds after I ping a server it may have gone up 500. So I just try to click in ASAP (after pinging all servers) on the lowest ping on whatever map I wanna play /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

--Qat

BirddoG

Nov 20, 1999
Visit site
wow wraith
i actually agree with you on some thing
yes the q3 demo was a complete joke and from what ive herd already Q3 is just a bigger demo
i like to laugh at jokes

THE**WRAITH_DS

Nov 10, 1999
Visit site
Bar code, I do not know why you posted that to my topic, but damnit I would appreciate you removing it at once!!!!!! I am sorry your a QIII fan and that UT does not meet your approval, but posting that death certifercate was uncalled for!!!!! I gave QIII a try and did not find the game to my liking, and only posted what I did to state that the game itself is not as good as you would like it to be!!! Live with it thats life!!!

bullet2.gif

I am the one!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.