Steve Polge about UT3 Expansion Pack

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Based on his comment, it kind of sounds like an update AND an expansion pack.

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
You guys do know I was pretty much a fan of UT3 from the beginning right? I certainly don't want to see UT fail, because regardless of what multiplayer games I try (TF2, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4), and despite them all being great games, I just want a deathmatch game. Good ol' fashion rockets and plasma deathmatch.

Did you see how big the thread was when this was initially posted? People are willing to give Epic a second chance...but for god's sake Epic, DON'T **** THIS UP. This is it, if you mess it up this time, UT is dead.

rAt.8^].bAg

Don't eff wid Gkublok
Aug 10, 2008
Right now they're too interested in milking GoW2 for all it's worth. They made way bux on UE3, WTF do they give a sh!t about UT3 for (except doing 2 titles for above mentioned contract w. Midway)?

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
You guys do know I was pretty much a fan of UT3 from the beginning right? I certainly don't want to see UT fail, because regardless of what multiplayer games I try (TF2, Left 4 Dead, Call of Duty 4), and despite them all being great games, I just want a deathmatch game. Good ol' fashion rockets and plasma deathmatch.
You forgot to mention that you also want it on a "current" engine for some stupid reason. There are plenty of games that apply to what you want... until you stick in the fact that if it doesn't have shiny Shader 3.0 things and bloom you don't want to play it. :/

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
You forgot to mention that you also want it on a "current" engine for some stupid reason. There are plenty of games that apply to what you want... until you stick in the fact that if it doesn't have shiny Shader 3.0 things and bloom you don't want to play it. :/

None of those games are UT.

T2A`

I'm dead.
Jan 10, 2004
Richmond, VA
So, you want a deathmatch game on a current engine that is UT.

Good luck with that search. At least you're not pigeonholing yourself or anything. D:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
I mean, if the game still had a thriving community you might expect that they could release an expansion that would sell reasonably well, but I'm not sure that has any validity at this point.

I have never read before that they will sell this expansion, do they?

GreatEmerald

Khnumhotep
Jan 20, 2008
Lithuania
Comparing multiplayer-focused first person shooter games in the same series (with, by and large, the same weapons, and in some cases the same maps) is not exactly a case of comparing apples and oranges. Comparing them and saying that one was a "better" game than other doesn't preclude making statements about their relative strengths and weaknesses. Pushing everything into the morass of "Well, it's different" isn't really helpful when critically discussing areas where games improved, failed to improve, or regressed.

However, where some people think that something has "regressed", other people will think that it "progressed". Like, the movement. It's all good in all of the titles, yet people keep whining about it.

None of those games are UT.

Yes, even UT99 has Shader 3 and bloom. D:

sneh

-
Apr 11, 2008
www.grozmo.com
1999..2009.. I really do hope it is "large"

Anyone telling themselves it won't cost money is probably going to be disappointed. In fact, if it doesn't cost money it probably will be a disappointment
(how much do you expect for free?.. a couple maps maybe? lol)

Unless they're hoping to make money from selling more of the base game, but I mean - for people that didn't buy the game in the first place, why would they buy it now just because it's got more "stuff".

Last edited:

Severin

Feb 8, 2008
This is what I'm most afraid of. UT3 has the most fun UT gameplay I've ever played, and the idea of them turning it back into the nerfed-to-hell, floaty, overly cartoony, mini-me 2k4 style sounds dreadful.
I'll just skip the "update" if that's what they do, considering I spent more time tweaking mutators trying to get back to the UT feel than I actually spent playing 2k4 by the end...

Lol, How can you say 2k4 was nerfed when UT3 is a skill-free, feature poor, bug riddled spamfest nothing and more. I can live with either system of movement/weapon balance but UT3 was the game that was 'nerfed-to-hell' not 2k4. Who needs to move or aim well when all you have to do is run around with your finger held down on the RL fire button.

Last edited:

cosmix

XoXo
May 20, 2006
Germany
1999..2009.. I really do hope it is "large"

Anyone telling themselves it won't cost money is probably going to be disappointed. In fact, if it doesn't cost money it probably will be a disappointment
(how much do you expect for free?.. a couple maps maybe? lol)

Unless they're hoping to make money from selling more of the base game, but I mean - for people that didn't buy the game in the first place, why would they buy it now just because it's got more "stuff".

Some new maps where they show and explain the new technology that will hopefully come with the expansion would be nice. :) On the other hand we have enough good maps. That's not the point. I mean MSUC contest will bring and have brought us more than enough good maps.

No, I don't think they will sell the expansion (and upgrade). And they really do good to share it for free.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
This game actually gave me hope after UT2k4! - one cent below.

I agree with the people who said UT3 has a really great core gameplay. FullBleed got it with his first post in this thread.

Poker

Anus Retentus
Apr 17, 2006
Indeed, a year and a day out makes the decade exactly in fact. You've got to think they have that circled on the calendar, and not just for champagne popping. It just makes too much sense.

all you have to do is run around with your finger held down on the RL fire button.
um ... ok you need some stiffer competition. :lol:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Lol, How can you say 2k4 was nerfed when UT3 is a skill-free, feature poor, bug riddled spamfest nothing and more. I can live with either system of movement/weapon balance but UT3 was the game that was 'nerfed-to-hell' not 2k4. Who needs to move or aim well when all you have to do is run around with your finger held down on the RL fire button.
I don't even know how to respond to this.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Lol, How can you say UT was nerfed when UT 2x is a skill-free, feature poor, bug riddled bouncefest nothing and more. I can live with either system of movement/weapon balance but UT 2x was the game that was 'nerfed-to-hell' not UT. Who needs to move or aim well when all you have to do is hop around with your finger held down on the SR fire button.

I've edited your post to reflect the popular arguments between UT and UT2x players when the latter first hit the scene.

JEnepas

Feb 5, 2008

I will answer ...you obviously haven't played much DM against the best players who go 50-4 K-D against other, very good players. I loved Ut2004 but tbf UT3 is faster , it requires a different mindset and it demands 100% concentration (unlike floaty 2k4) if anything,it could be too intense for most people , that's why they stick to other shooters and put down UT3. I agree, it can get way too crazy on certain small confined DM maps when a server is full. However , to characterize it as needing no skill is mad, just spectate some of the best UT3 DM'ers.

It is bug riddled though, that much is true

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Like, Unreal II is considered to be not good, but why? Because they rushed. They didn't complete MP, and that left the game with small replayability. U2XMP was never finished too, yet it's still fun as it has MP! But if they didn't rush again, they would have made it even better. So they *really* shouldn't rush. U1 was developed in like 3 years - and it was fantastic back then. You can create miracles if you have enough time. And I guess they should take their time and make UT3 playable on lower end PCs for now...

And yes, UT3 is nice, only if it was playable both online and offline!..

Sorry, but no....first you don't even have full UT3 as you said, and about U2, it was officially, yes officially said that the multiplayer was scrapped because of decisions they made with Atari, Epic, Atari, Legend and DE sat down together and came down to that decision, to not cause and Atari had more powerful veta word as they owned Legend(Atari didn't own Epic or DE)..

That means even if they got more time for U2, it was not supposed to have multiplayer and the later phases of developement, since like summer 2002...
So really it proves these changes were made later and it was officially stated during 2002 that they are removing these things and even changing a lot concept of the game, so nobody should have been surprised that U2 = no MP.

UnrealGrrl

Enemy flag carrier is Her!
Jun 16, 2000
www.unrealgrrl.com
I will answer ...you obviously haven't played much DM against the best players who go 50-4 K-D against other, very good players. I loved Ut2004 but tbf UT3 is faster , it requires a different mindset and it demands 100% concentration (unlike floaty 2k4) if anything,it could be too intense for most people , that's why they stick to other shooters and put down UT3. I agree, it can get way too crazy on certain small confined DM maps when a server is full. However , to characterize it as needing no skill is mad, just spectate some of the best UT3 DM'ers.

same can be said of ANY UT game. a skilled player ALWAYS destroys n00bs and average players. thats ALWAYS how it has been... the difference with UT3 is that (in more ways like UT) its a lil bit more of a level playing field... i do agree that UT has always needed skill and practice to be good and if you want a casual shooter UT was never it. there are no easy frags in ut.

i think what i snipped from Scuzz below puts it best that UT players and UT3 players definitely have somewhat more of a kinship because it really is 2k4 that made UT different with the extra movement that you HAD to learn to play. p.s. if the best players are going 50-0 on guys who dont dodge or use tl, then thats just being a llama.

i loved 2k4 too and logged a bazillion hours on it... but unlike players who came to the game during that time, i still feel that UT and UT3 are really more "unreal".

whatever happens with this update and expansion... as long as they really wait "till its done" this time we can hope for the best. cant imagine what they are going to do, but I'm hopigng that it can do even 1/2 what 2k4 did for ut2003 in fixing and polishing what is an unfinished game (for PC). thx Epic - looking forward to it!

A damned shame, too, because ultimately I feel it's the best of the series next to the original. I think most long term UT players (from the UT99 days) feel that way, too. Now for the generation that came into the series with UT2003/4 I wouldn't expect them to feel that way. Where as the classic UT99 community felt that UT2003/4 was a betrayal of the classic formula, now the hardcore UT2003/4 players now feel a little backhanded by UT3.

but with very few exceptions Unreal Tournament and Q3 were really the last of the MASSIVE COMMUNITY games (not counting Counter Strike...etc). A few games have bumped some big numbers since, but Jesus, UT was a long term and massive success.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.