The Dreamcast is dead? Maybe not...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zaccix

Truth, by Banksy
Nov 10, 1999
London, UK
From Gameswire:
Sega of Japan looks all set to blow the cobwebs off its Dreamcast plant, in order to re-start production of its formerly deceased console.

The move follows unexpectedly high demand for Dreamcast, and was preceded by Sega withdrawing thousands of units from the American market to be converted and shipped back to its home territory of Japan.

CRI, Sega`s manufacturing subsidiary has reported demand for Dreamcast almost on par with what it was this time last year. As a result, Sega has cranked up production and expects to have finished units in stores by February or March next year. Just in time to go head to head with Xbox.

It is good news, especially for Sega, that the multitudes have finally caught on to what a great console Dreamcast was, and the tons of top quality games it played host to. More rejuvenated Dreamcast news as we get it.
The thing that initially "killed" the DC in the first place was mass ignorance. Everyone thought that the PS2 was the next great saviour of console gaming, a sentiment incited by the gaming press, and didn't give the DC a second look. Also, the almost complete lack of advertising in the UK didn't help much over here either.

Admittedly, Sega shouldn't be given this second chance after they just caved in and left DC users high and dry. (And US gamers might not forgive them too soon for handing over Shenmue II to the Xbox). However, this time I hope people will look at the DC and see its merits, instead of seeing it solely as a competitor to the PS2. Besides, the PS2 isn't the only game in town now with Xbox and Gamecube around.

I'm glad I've kept my DC. It's still a kickass machine. :)

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
now im damn glad i kept mine too. its an awesome system, good games. maybe its time to get a new VCR so i can use my DC again... (last one's video in jack died 4 weeks ago, and my TV dosent have them, adding any more RFUs wouldent be good on the signal (3 is enough ffs)

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
yeah if I was sega I would make an ethernet adaptor that will let you connect the DC to your home network, that would let you use broadband DSL or anything else you'd want.

Of course X-box made the mistake of making that the only way to connect to the internet...if my memory serves me correctly

Super Feen

probably not a skrull
Jun 23, 2001
Erection Cove
feck ya, I just bought a brand new DC for 40 us dollars about a month ago, and at my local Funcoland I can get games ranging from $7-20. It should be illegal to sell this much fun for so cheap:D

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
Bought my DC the day they came out and I love it. There are some really good (not to mention fresh and original) games out for it. The crap a$$ controller is the DC's only downside really.

L_S

Nov 24, 1999
They're too damn big. The controller cord comes out the wrong end. The spring on the joystick is too weak. Buttons just dont feel right. All my humble opinion of course.

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Im content with my pc thank you! Although I really would love the Sonic Adventure games...

If the DC price goes back up then the sales prices will just fall. Its a shame Sega made a good machine and really deserve the boost, Sony are just the new thing on the block and everyone wants one (which is a stupid way of thinking, the PS2 isn't that much better than the DC).

Oh well...

Does this mean that Sega won't be making games for the PS2 (or any other console) anymore?

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by TossMonkey

Does this mean that Sega won't be making games for the PS2 (or any other console) anymore?

No, they are developing for the PS2 and Gamecube. Don't know about that big console though...

Iceblade

Fragged Lurker
Mar 14, 2001
Visit site
I'm still a proud owner of a Dreamcast. Sure, there aren't any more games coming out for it now (Tennis 2K2 is most likely the final game), but the games that ARE out are pretty great. 'Sides, I can always import games I can't get, like the European version of Shenmue II, Headhunters, and Japanese games such as Super Robot Wars Alpha, Love Hina: Smile Again, Quiz Oh My Goddess!, and some other novelty games that I'd have too much trouble understanding. Just 'cause it's dead doesn't mean that it's not fun anymore.

Iceblade

Fragged Lurker
Mar 14, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by Twisted Metal

No, they are developing for the PS2 and Gamecube. Don't know about that big console though...
They've got some stuff in store for the Xbox, not counting Shenmue II. Like... Crazy Taxi Next. Yay. Another Crazy Taxi 1. Crazy Taxi 2 wasn't anything to write home about (the first one was GREAT though).

Iceblade

Fragged Lurker
Mar 14, 2001
Visit site
Originally posted by TossMonkey
Isn't jet set radio coming onto the X-Box? It looks pretty good.
Yeah, you're right about that. Hopefully Sega/Smilebit can pull off a major hit with it for the masses; the first one was great, but I don't think a lot of people got it.