OpenOffice.org file sizes

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kaligraphic

Charles leChaud is my hero
Oct 22, 2002
Everywhere.
www.google.com
Anyone ever look at the filesizes on Oo_Org files? Oo_Org makes smaller Word files than Word does. For instance, I could save a document as an Oo_Org file, and it might be ~10KB. Saving it in Oo_Org as a Word .doc will inflate it to ~20KB, and opening that in Word and saving it will bring it to ~30KB.

Kinda funny, given that the 20KB file and the 30KB file open exactly the same.

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
All in all, I doubt 20-30kb will make much of a difference in this present time. Hell, my friend just got a computer with dual 500gb hard drives (He needs that much space for his job)

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Raffi_B said:
All in all, I doubt 20-30kb will make much of a difference in this present time. Hell, my friend just got a computer with dual 500gb hard drives (He needs that much space for his job)
Dual 500GB hard drives? Not 50GB?
Damn...1TB of disk space in one computer!

Papapishu

我是康
Jun 18, 2001
void
www.vovoid.com
YOu think 50 is much?
I have 240, and I think that's very little.
500 GB is a reasonable size, but with the current standards, I'd prefer a whole TB at least (or two...)

Mar 6, 2000
London
www.mox-guild.com
Hadmar said:
http://www.lacie.com/products/product.htm?id=10081
They use two 250GB drives in one case IIRC.

Ah so its kind of cheating.

I was going to say, here in the mainframe world theres no one using 500GB disks and we'd see them here first before it drifted down to the PC market.

Lots of 3990 based crap though (how many 72GB seagate barracudas can you fit in an IBM shark?? :D)

I still think it was a typo though (he meant 2x50GB). Hell even most peoples JBOD's on their SAN's don't put that much space in a single drive.

Its all about spof's..........