Building Skills...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
Being a level designer who is now working on developing some scripting and modelling skills, I find myself constantly sifting through sites, books, and forums looking for new tips, tutorials, and suggestions. I figure that there are probably many others like me out there who just want to work on expanding and improving their editing "tool belt" without dedicating their first born to some other guys half-baked mod scheme. I was thinking that it might be cool to put together a little team or community of editing hobbyists who want to share ideas, suggestions, and resources in a joint effort to improve all of our abilities. We could just help each other with our projects or we could even freelance a bit and offer short term help to promising mods that are short on manpower. I find that a lot of people on the forums are very nice and helpful, but it would be cool to get a team of regulars together to support one another.
Anyway, if this sounds remotely interesting to anyone, please drop me some email and we can go from there. If figure we can see who all is seriously interested and then decide how we can best raise the old learning curve a bit. And for those of you who are not interested, but know of some good uscript resources (other than Tim's stuff,) an email with any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks and everyone have a good one!

jbjbjb@home.com

pepslet

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
Well I did have an idea once of making a "Unreal engine editors site", where anybody could register and pimp his work, write colums/tutorials, and have acces to a developers forum, but it would be a lot of work.

Still interested in making it though, I just don't have a lot of free time on my hands to do it :/

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
work...

I hear ya... I used to run a gaming news site and it was an outrageous drain on my time. I figure we could put something together that would be low key and not require too much maintainance. A forum, place to post news, and place to post code snippets, models, etc. Or we could go even simpler than that, and the team could just send in stuff as they create and/or find it, and we could condense it all into a weekly newsletter with attatched files/scripts. Anyway, there are lots of options. Let's brainstorm and see what we can come up with. Definately needs to be low maintainance though, as thats why I gave up working on my previous site (it didn't leave me any time to play the games or work on mapping.)

pepslet

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
Well the nice thing about what I was thinking is that it is low maintenance. Everything would be higly dynamic (php/mysql things like that) and the only thing you would need is some 'admins' to make sure everything runs nice and smoothly. (for the forums for example)

Thing is, to build and test a system like that is a pretty big time consuming job (but a very nice challenge though) :)

The nice thing is that the level of maintenance is pretty low (update some scripts now and then, and do some adminning)

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
right...

Yeah, I used mostly php4 scripts and mysql on my previous site and you really can do some nice stuff with that combo. I actually still have my news posting and forums scripts some where on my HD, so if we decided to go that route, I could probably just tweak my old stuff to suit our purposes. Let's see who else wants on board and then we can all decide what suits our needs.

TaoPaiPai

Commisaire Van Loc
Jun 13, 2000
Matnik
Visit site
Originally posted by scabiesbaby
Being a level designer who is now working on developing some scripting and modelling skills, I find myself constantly sifting through sites, books, and forums looking for new tips, tutorials, and suggestions. I figure that there are probably many others like me out there who just want to work on expanding and improving their editing "tool belt" without dedicating their first born to some other guys half-baked mod scheme. I was thinking that it might be cool to put together a little team or community of editing hobbyists who want to share ideas, suggestions, and resources in a joint effort to improve all of our abilities. We could just help each other with our projects or we could even freelance a bit and offer short term help to promising mods that are short on manpower. I find that a lot of people on the forums are very nice and helpful, but it would be cool to get a team of regulars together to support one another.
Anyway, if this sounds remotely interesting to anyone, please drop me some email and we can go from there. If figure we can see who all is seriously interested and then decide how we can best raise the old learning curve a bit. And for those of you who are not interested, but know of some good uscript resources (other than Tim's stuff,) an email with any suggestions would also be greatly appreciated. Thanks and everyone have a good one!

jbjbjb@home.com

That's an excellent,excellent idea.In fact I think I've already heard of something similar.
PlanetUnreal or planetUnrealEditingForum it was called ....

But all sarcasm apart,it would indeed be a great idea to have a PuF-Ed Showcase website,where all the great people of this forum would showcase and upload their maps,scripts,textures,whatever...(instead of everyone maintaining his own selfish website..)

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
Heh...

Heh...your sarcasm was anticipated and appreciated. :p

I have found many good resources here at PU, but like you said it would be nice to have a place where we can conveniently post up sample code/models/maps. I am finding that I learn the most from sifting though other editor's work and learning from their successes and mistakes. Anyway, I figure we could just expand upon the resources here to make it kind of a "one stop shopping" for editors, coders, modellers, etc.

Keep in mind that my initial plan was to just put together a group of good people who would team up to be a good resource for individuals and teams that are struggling or stuck on a certain problem. The goal being that we could learn a lot from one another by working on stuff together, while helping out people who need it. People could submit some code, a model, a level, etc to us and we could clean it up and make suggestions. Right now I'm just brainstorming and want to see who's interested before we decide how we want to set things up. If you guys want a dedicated community editing site, then that is something that we could definately put together. Thanks for the input and please keep it coming.

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
Sounds good...

Beautiful ladies and free flowing beverage.....excellent.

I would suggest ONE rule: No Egos.

Man I totally second that motion. That's one of the main reasons that I want to build skills by freelancing rather than joining another mod team. People get so wound up over who gets credit for what and who is in charge of what. I figure we'll work as a team and if anyone wants to credit us for something, they can just thank the team, not individuals. After all the point of working on stuff is to get better skills and create content that people can enjoy. I am not too worried about attracting jerks to the group as glory seekers and egomaniacs tend not to be all that interested in teamwork and helping others.

pepslet

Feb 7, 2000
Visit site
Re: Sounds good...

Originally posted by scabiesbaby
Man I totally second that motion. That's one of the main reasons that I want to build skills by freelancing rather than joining another mod team. People get so wound up over who gets credit for what and who is in charge of what. I figure we'll work as a team and if anyone wants to credit us for something, they can just thank the team, not individuals. After all the point of working on stuff is to get better skills and create content that people can enjoy. I am not too worried about attracting jerks to the group as glory seekers and egomaniacs tend not to be all that interested in teamwork and helping others.

word! :)

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
OK.....

So it sounds like we have a solid group of interested people, so to get the ball rolling, it would be great if everyone could email me with information on how they'd like to contribute. Most people have shown interest in providing two services: a web site to post sample code, models, etc so that you can get help and feedback on them, and the team would also be "editing mercenaries" as stryker so nicely put it. Basicly we would try to help those who need it and work through some small projects to improve all of our skills. Everyone agrees that it needs to be a team effort with NO EGOS!
Anyway, let me know via email if you want to help with the site itself, if you want to contribute as a coding/mapping/modelling pimp, or both. Once we know who wants to do what, we can get things organized and get a site up. Thanks again. -JB

Email me at: jbjbjb@home.com

scabiesbaby

BSP Casualty
May 1, 2001
www.scabiesbaby.com
k...

Stryke and I are going to get an initial site started and hopefully we can get it hosted here at PU. I'll be out of town for a few days, but go ahead and post any ideas/suggestions/questions here or just drop me some email. Thanks. -JB

jbjbjb@home.com