UT2k7 - destructable environments

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Hashassin

phunzor
Jul 11, 2005
Sydney
I've been playing unreal since the original- and I am very pleased to hear that there is a new UT under works. One aspect that I believe has been missing in many a FPS is "destructable environments". Obviously previous technologies haven't allowed for such extravagant ideas, but now that they are, I just can't wait. I adore the idea of shooting some rockets at an overhang only to create a mini-avalanche which would squish any unsuspecting victims, or blowing a hole in a wall to open up a new entrance on an enemy base.. I mean the weapons in unreal are so high-powered, it would be nice to see them seriously affect the surrounding environments..

However what I would like to see is a much more lethal environment, impact hammering someone stomach first into a spike on a wall.. or better yet, a bed of spikes, a meat grinder, massive cogs.. the list goes on and on, and knowing the imagination of the Unreal team, who knows what they can come up with. With this idea I would like to have the ability to blow a hole in the floor or wall to open up entirely new areas, fitted with numerous booby traps, designed to kill. Epic could easily borrow some ideas from Midway's Mortal Kombat: Deception (although a poor fighter, some of the concept were brill imho), smashing someone through a wall, and then have them land in some crazy metal pressing machine.. Imagine yourself on one of those outerspace stations, smashing a hole in the roof to expose the "universe", creating a vacuum, which can suck your enemies out into the void.. Or maybe some "alive" environments- blowing a hole in the floor to reveal some ancient dragon den, equipped with its very own fire breathing motherF8cker that wants YOU for dinner.. If the environment can be your enemy, then it can also be you greatest asset to victory..

what do you think?

I'd like destructable environments, but as in some preset little events that trigger full/partial destruction of the said thing, so you can't just put ditches everywhere. This way in Onslaught/Conquest a long battle would produce a really realistically warlike transition from the fine setting it is to a really messy graveyard.

kafros

F1 manta tryouts
Jan 21, 2005
Under Articstronghold's bridge
destructable environments can provide unlimited fun but for single player experience only. Getting constantly stuck somewhere because of debris must be too annoying in multiplayer.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Self pimpage!:D
http://www.beyondunreal.com/content/articles/128_1.php

BeyondUnreal: How will the enchanced physics impact the gameplay of modes such as Conquest and Onslaught, and will the ability to interact with objects and the environment be utilized in other gametypes such as DM and CTF?

Steve Polge: That will definately depend on a per-level basis. Like we'll have, for example, a few levels where we really go crazy with destructable environments and kind of make that the focus of the level. For the most part the thing is that [destructable environments] can really effect gameplay kind of in a way that's out of the control of the design of the game, where you basically don't want to end up in a pile of rubble that you're playing over. However, we will certainly have damageable environments. I say the biggest area the physics effects us is things like the vehicles and other physical objects. Vehicles and physics are much more complex and realistic than they were in 2k4. In 2k4 the tank kind of felt like you were pushing a box around. Now it really feels like a tank: The treads deform as you're going over terrain and it all just feels very solid and much more natural to drive. We will also have what we call "damageable environments" everywhere, which means that you'll see the effects, so it will be more than just a decal or a blotch, you'll actually see some 3D effects to it when you inflict major damage. How much of that we allow to be gameplay focused, like I said, will probably be a per level basis. So we might have like a deathmatch level where it's really all about, you know, blowing up the catwalk so the guy falls to his death and that kind of thing, but we'll also have some more traditional gameplay.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Hashassin said:
However what I would like to see is a much more lethal environment, impact hammering someone stomach first into a spike on a wall.. or better yet, a bed of spikes, a meat grinder, massive cogs.. the list goes on and on, and knowing the imagination of the Unreal team, who knows what they can come up with. With this idea I would like to have the ability to blow a hole in the floor or wall to open up entirely new areas, fitted with numerous booby traps, designed to kill. Epic could easily borrow some ideas from Midway's Mortal Kombat: Deception (although a poor fighter, some of the concept were brill imho), smashing someone through a wall, and then have them land in some crazy metal pressing machine.. Imagine yourself on one of those outerspace stations, smashing a hole in the roof to expose the "universe", creating a vacuum, which can suck your enemies out into the void.. Or maybe some "alive" environments- blowing a hole in the floor to reveal some ancient dragon den, equipped with its very own fire breathing motherF8cker that wants YOU for dinner.. If the environment can be your enemy, then it can also be you greatest asset to victory..

what do you think?
I really like the idea of more level hazards. The occasional lavapit or goopit could really be expanded on. The more creative ways to kill your opponent the better. :D

Oh, and bring back longler lasting gibs and blood stains! :eek:

Hashassin

phunzor
Jul 11, 2005
Sydney
spineblaZe said:
Oh, and bring back longler lasting gibs and blood stains! :eek:

Yeah, i agree, computers these days are powerful enough to keep decals, gibs and bodies. By the end of a DM round there should be bits and pieces of people everywhere, or maybe im just a bit too gore enthused :D

EL BOURIKO

May 24, 2005
I would really like to experience such things in a much more serious way than only barrel explosions.

Of course some destroyed maps can become really messy after a while, but the real fun here, is that you will never have twice the same map after some few minutes!!!
And if you get stuck because of some destructions, hey! that s just part of the game... and you still can suicide with your hammer to come back on the pitch.

gregori

BUF Refugee
May 5, 2005
Baile Atha Cliath, Eireann
maybe your base regenrated damage done to it over time in conquest, or the more the points of the map you control regenrate depending on your share of tarydium resources.

Anyway destructable maps could have interesting strategical uses in conquest, like driving a goliath through a building front in a city map to get some where quicker,
or colapsing sniper towers/scaffolding and building were snipers are about,
or using the rubble from a colapsed building to block a road, knocking over a tree to bridge a forest gorge, raising the water level a bit by colapsing a dam,
plenty of different possible uses of destructable enviroment once there not all set pieces!

Xipher

I didn't break it, you did
Feb 15, 2004
Iowa
Vault said:
red faction anyone? that was awsome.... good times.. good times...
Yea, although I wasn't a fan of the gameplay itself, the destruction part was fun.

Vault

May 29, 2005
anyone seen the screenshots and story about "Black" at Gamespot? i'd like of some of those effect to be imlplemented, with every bullet kicking up dirt, and a single grenade being able to topple a pillar, and several being able to destroy the build supports, topple the building, squishing your enemies unerneath

Last edited:

->Sachiel<-

Jul 24, 2005
I think destructable environments would add to gameplay, have you played red faction? There was on e lever where there are two forts with super weapons on top of them and a field to march from one to the other. at the beginning of the game the best weapon is the railgun sniperrifle weapon due to thr walls of the forrts. by the end its the rocket launcher because the walls on the forts turned into swiss cheese!

Swerto

The Founder Of The PL4Y4 H474Z
Jul 29, 2005
you do know the enviorments are more powerful in the UT games than in this time. dirt and cement are one thing but the alloy on the ships? just put a button on a wall you can push to open a door into the vacum!

and i've beaten red faction like 3 times... if you include the time i cheated to get infinite c4 to blow my way across the map!!!!

Last edited:

Vault

May 29, 2005
->Sachiel<- said:
I think destructable environments would add to gameplay, have you played red faction? There was on e lever where there are two forts with super weapons on top of them and a field to march from one to the other. at the beginning of the game the best weapon is the railgun sniperrifle weapon due to thr walls of the forrts. by the end its the rocket launcher because the walls on the forts turned into swiss cheese!

oooo yeah, your making me wanna play it again!

Bullet10k

Apr 9, 2005
Yea, I love Red Faction too, beat it like 3 times like Swerto and cheated my way through (blew my way up to another level).

*me checks to see if its still installed so I can play*
*Finds out its not*

Too bad RF2 sucked, its sux that its barely even mentioned anywhere as a good game. And the RF community is so dead now.

I would love to see destructible environments and damageable environments in ut2k7.

wooda

Jul 30, 2005
Yes, it would be cool, yes it would be fun, but no, it shouldn't be done, it would take too much time from the level designers, they would have to create too much new content, they could use that time to make more and better maps instead.
Destructable bridges and stuff like that would be nice, but only to a certain extent, nobody likes to run with the flag, and then get stuck in front of a blown up bridge only several meters infront of his base, it would work well in conquest though, and would probably be implemented.

Wowbagger

Curing the infection...
May 20, 2000
Sweden
Visit site
One (maybe cheap) way to do this would be to let the Static Meshes be destructable to a certain degree.
That way the rocket you just dodged really FEELS lethal when you see the damage it did and at the same time it wont change the flow (not that much anyway) of the map since the BSP still is there.