Wouldn't it have been nice to have an ending for UT?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

EternalSpark

Fear Mah Leet Glasses
Aug 8, 2001
Land of Fnord
www.deusfortress.com
I, personally, would have liked to see what would happen now that Xan is gone. Moreso, I'd like to see if Xan was a Robot or something. Personally, I think it would have been a shock if Xan was a Nali who got mutiliated by the Skaarj (losing his lower arms) and had to be rebuilt with robotic parts or something..

Granted, you might not think the whole Xan-as-Nali thing would work (it would have given the designers an excuse to use all the unreal1 textures and stuff), but I would have liked to seen an ending to UT, with a surprise or two..

Do you agree, that UT needed more of an ending? And if so, what would your ending be?

Mana

Aloha!
Sep 28, 2000
www.clansfx.com
My ending...

After severing Xan's head with my trusty shock primary, his masked head falls and rolls on the floor. I look at it horrifically as the front of the mask explodes, revealing my own discombobulated facial expression!

Hmm....where have I seen this before? ;)

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
most games I'd like to see an ending in but UT didn't bother me....probably because I was'nt expecting anything.
As for XAN I think he's a man who wears that suit of armour...I recall reading that in the manual or somewhere.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
Re: My ending...

Originally posted by Mana
Hmm....where have I seen this before? ;)
Star Wars II - The Empire Strikes Back :)

It doesn't worry me too much either. As for Xan: He is either a human or a Skaarj in a suit. It was never told

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
xan looks like hes a robot

if he isn't he must be human because

1.if he was a skaarj hybrid he would have a tail

2. no way in hell he could be a nali because he doesn't have 4 arms

3.another reason he can't be nali is because he doesn't speak the same language nalis speak

4.hes unquestionably not a warcow,there is no way in hell thats going to happen,so obvious that this paragaph shouldn't exist to at least tell you that

Last edited:

EternalSpark

Fear Mah Leet Glasses
Aug 8, 2001
Land of Fnord
www.deusfortress.com
Originally posted by Ice Lord
if he was a skaarj hybrid he would have a tail

Not neccesarily. While all the Hybirds in the Tourny have tails, the possibility that some would not. But I doubt he would be a Hybrid.

2. no way in hell he could be a nali because he doesn't have 4 arms

As I stated, he could have been mutilated by the Skaarj, losing 2 of his arms.

3.another reason he can't be nali is because he doesn't speak the same language nalis speak

Technically, he looks like a robot - perhaps his suit would have a built in translator? Here's my idea about how Xan, possibly, could have been a Nali - if I had time to write a fanfic, this is what it would be.

'Xan' was a Nali taken as a Skaarj slave around the Unreal 1 time. He was stubborn and refused to work, even attacking a Skaarj. Losing the fight, he was crucified. He nearly died, but was found when a detachment of marines found him during the Return to Na Pali time. His lower arms were too atrophied to be any use, so they were amputated. To keep him alive the scientists onboard the marine's vessel gave him technological parts, and a built in translator. But basically, the humans treat him poorly like the Skaarj did, so he kills 'em. But nobody finds him and/or arrests him, and memory of this Nali fades, untill an upstart named Xan is fighting and winning a tournement. Nobody knows its a nali, cuz he wears a massive amount of armor.

Just my idea. I figured it would have been rather cool to see this as an end-of-UT video, where Xan, as he dies, tells your character all this.

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
that would have been sucha cool twist.. That could have easily made the single player gaem so much more of an experience.
Someone should make a single player plus mod using that story line.

Argh but wait UT takes place a few centuries after Unreal doesnt it? The general story could stay the same, just dont make him from that time period :D

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by [IsP]KaRnAgE
that would have been sucha cool twist.. That could have easily made the single player gaem so much more of an experience.
Someone should make a single player plus mod using that story line.

Argh but wait UT takes place a few centuries after Unreal doesnt it? The general story could stay the same, just dont make him from that time period :D

but nalis could be immortal,or maybe the technological parts could have caused the same effect

Cryognosis

might never have a icon
Aug 2, 2001
Originally posted by EternalSpark
Losing the fight, he was crucified. He nearly died, but was found when a detachment of marines found him during the Return to Na Pali time. His lower arms were too atrophied to be any use, so they were amputated. To keep him alive the scientists onboard the marine's vessel gave him technological parts, and a built in translator.

the way the skaarj do it is they hang the nali by his upper arms,not his lower,so he would have his upper arms amputated

EternalSpark

Fear Mah Leet Glasses
Aug 8, 2001
Land of Fnord
www.deusfortress.com
Originally posted by [IsP]KaRnAgE
hmm.. maybe a skaarj troopers razor jack cut them off? secondary fire :D Or it could have just been torture...

In my Idea If I Could Make It A FanFic, and the Curifixion idea didnt work (I never played much of Unreal), I would have said the ruining of the arms was symbolic for the nali people - if "Xan" wont work, he will be rendered useless - to a mere Two Armed Nali.

The Xenonerd

Jul 24, 2001
angelfire.com
I've always thought of Xan as some crazy old rich guy, the insane CEO of Liandri, who' s lost in his obsession with combat and the desire to be the greatest warrior in the world. He puts a large chunk of his fortune into building that battle suit in order to maintain his strength and speed as he ages. His mask makes his voice come out like some dead machine in order to unnerve his enemies.

After you defeat him in his Tournament, he doesn't give up however, he gives up his old battle-suit to you as a reward for showing him that he still has a ways to go and goes on to build a bigger, more powerful one, based on the technology of the Skaarj Warboss (provided you downloaded the Bonus Pack 4, ^_^) and returns to the world of battle with his Mark II suit to try and once again become the champion of DeathMatch.

That's what I've always imagined Xan as being like.

EternalSpark

Fear Mah Leet Glasses
Aug 8, 2001
Land of Fnord
www.deusfortress.com
Originally posted by The Xenonerd
I've always thought of Xan as some crazy old rich guy, the insane CEO of Liandri, who' s lost in his obsession with combat and the desire to be the greatest warrior in the world. He puts a large chunk of his fortune into building that battle suit in order to maintain his strength and speed as he ages. His mask makes his voice come out like some dead machine in order to unnerve his enemies.

After you defeat him in his Tournament, he doesn't give up however, he gives up his old battle-suit to you as a reward for showing him that he still has a ways to go and goes on to build a bigger, more powerful one, based on the technology of the Skaarj Warboss (provided you downloaded the Bonus Pack 4, ^_^) and returns to the world of battle with his Mark II suit to try and once again become the champion of DeathMatch.

That's what I've always imagined Xan as being like.

Its a good view, but it doesnt shock or anything. Just listen to him - "I am the alpha and the omega" - this dude, no matter the species, is dead set on war.

I also like my ending cuz its ironic. A member of a typically pacifist people being the leader of a fighting tornament?