SB Live! & DTS2500 (HELP!!!)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

The Toastman

Apr 19, 2000
Arkansas, USA
Visit site
First, let me say "cool setup!". Okay, that said, the first thing you should try is updating to the latest liveware (liveware 3.0). There is also an update to Liveware 3.0 containing bug fixes (sort of a lw 3.1, though creative just calls it an update) that was released in November. Make certain you get it as well. EAX support has been revised to EAX 2.0 in the new liveware, which may be what UT needs. I have a Live Value with a four-speaker setup and it works fine with lw 3.0 and UT 4.13 (haven't tried 4.20 yet). Just FYI, supposedly UTs surround implementation isn't as good as its 4-speaker implementation, so you might try using 4-speaker mode (check "use hardware sound" and set speaker mode to 4-speaker in liveware) instead of surround mode. Hope some of my rambling helps.

drizzle

Apr 14, 2000
Lafayette, LA
www.utilitygeek.com
Last night I just got my new sound system stuff in. It's the X-Gamer Live! card along with the DTS2500 Home Theatre System 5.1.

I've got everything hooked up, and all the drivers/software for the card is installed. When I go to play UT I change the Live! software to 'Games - EAX' and then I start UT.

My problem -When I enable 'Surround Sound' I get sound distortions. At times the bass completely drops out. Also, for some reason when picking up items (like vials, ammo, etc) the sound that UT makes when you pick them up is seriously too loud!!! I've tried adjusting the control knobs on the panel. If I enable the 'Use 3D Hardware' for sound, it seems that the game suffers a performance hit and isn't nearly as smooth as without it.

The specs:

Athlon 700Mhz
256MB RAM
MS K7-Pro
Maxtor 20.4GB
Voodoo3 3000
SB Live! X-Gamer

Any tips on what I should check out first? I'm quite lost here. I have the 'retail cd' drivers installed for the SB Live!. If both options are disabled, the sound is fine...but with the Surrond Sound option not checked I'm sure that I'm not getting the quality I should be.

Glock-GSN

May 26, 2000
www.planetavp.com
I'm having the same exact problem. I don't know what is the cause of it, though.

I also have an SB Live X gamer with a 2 speaker setup.

The same thing is occuring.

Glock-GSN

May 26, 2000
www.planetavp.com
I know.

I think this is a UT bug, though.

Because this only started until after 420 was installed.

Then all of the sudden, it was 413 that was messing up.

Got a question for you, did you go from fullscreen to windowed mode, and back again? Because I think that's how mine started.

drizzle

Apr 14, 2000
Lafayette, LA
www.utilitygeek.com
I only went from Full Screen to Windowed to make adjustments to see if I could fix the problem. But it was happening before I did that. --it's really killing me to because this just SHOULDN'T be happening!!!

Guess I'll try updating drivers/LiveWare tonight...but I'm really not counting on that fixing the problem. Like you said, it appears to be a UT problem...

drizzle

Apr 14, 2000
Lafayette, LA
www.utilitygeek.com
Hey!!!

I've got it working correctly now! I'm so happy since this was really eating at me!! Ok, what I did. I installed the latest drivers for the sound card (SB Live! X Gamer) and the latest version of LiveWare 3.x. I also selected 'Use 3D Hardware' for sound in the UT preferences and left 'Surround Sound' unchecked. Good thing I didn't have to do that on my 56k here at home. That was a good 30MB of stuff! Unreal Tournament is version 4.05. I'm thinking of keeping at this version since it's working.

Does anyone know if version 4.2 has any problems associated with the sound?

Glock-GSN, try what I did. Download the latest updates and see if it helps. UT rocks in Surround!!!