more ladder woes....and lighting suggestions

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Madd_Cracker

scrawny pale dude
Sep 11, 2005
unitedstates
profile.myspace.com
my first post woohoo! come to think of it, its actually not that exciting....
i got the ladder to work well enough but when i go down them the player gets stuck, also i kinda need lighting suggestions for the map Base, the larger rooms have no light sources and as an artist that bugs the crap out of me.
any ways its good that we finally have a way to talk with more efficience good job mr. bond!

livingtarget

BulletCatcher
Mar 15, 2002
Aberdeen
I did a ladder not so long ago, the code is a bit long-ish. Anyhow here's the gist of it.

class SaLadder extends SaKeypoint;

event Touch( Actor Other )
{
if (SaPlayer(Other) != none && Region.Zone.bWaterZone == false)
{
SaPlayer(Other).bClimbing = true;
Pawn(Other).bAltFire = 0;
Pawn(Other).bFire = 0;
SaPlayer(Other).GotoState('Climbing');
}
}

event UnTouch( Actor Other )
{
if (SaPlayer(Other) != none && Region.Zone.bWaterZone == false)
{
SaPlayer(Other).GotoState('PlayerWalking');
}
}

defaultproperties
{
bCollideActors=True
}

When the player touches that it will send it to a climbing state in SaPlayer (which extends PlayerPawn)
And in there I slow down the x + y axes. Then pressing jump will make you go up (increase velocity.z). And crouch will take you down (decrease velocity.z).

And heya mr. bond. We both used to be on strategy-x some time ago :)
I'm still working lovingly on SA. Almost in a bug free state now.

The site could do with a bit of a makeover to be honest. Maybe someone could do you some graphics?

MrBond

ZHP Founder
Sep 23, 2003
USA
zerohour-productions.net
livingtarget said:
Then pressing jump will make you go up (increase velocity.z). And crouch will take you down (decrease velocity.z).

Only problem is, bots won't exactly work too well like that. Fine with human players, though. May give that a look when I get to improving the bot AI.

And heya mr. bond. We both used to be on strategy-x some time ago :)
I'm still working lovingly on SA. Almost in a bug free state now.

The site could do with a bit of a makeover to be honest. Maybe someone could do you some graphics?

I remember. Good ol' Strategy-X has seen better days, no? Which site are you referring to? If it's mine, I heartily agree: that design is a little...oldish. I would change it, really, I would, but...time is a precious commodity.

Anyhow, Madd_Cracker, the ladder is a little...spotty. It's designed to "kick" the players' away from it when they get high (heh heh...."high") or low enough. Maybe I didn't make it kick hard enough. In any case, it needs work. Usually the bots work fine (though they get stuck for a couple of seconds).

Tell you what -- since the BetaV3 release is near, if I improve the ladder any, I'll make any necessary changes to maps with them in, instead of sending out another internal release.

As for the lighting...well, that's a real issue. If no light sources show in the original, then I guess none should be shown here. Try your best to match the lighting effects, even if there's no apparent source. Or, if you're adventurous, you can create some sources if you'd like.