3 UnrealEngine RUNTIME doubts

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capablanca

Apr 29, 2004
I´d like to produce a walkthrough project about my own house... :)

I read in UnrealEngine license that i can use the UnrealEngine Runtime (i cannot make a game, but I can make a walkthrough without COMMERCIAL use - i want just distribute it for friends).

So, i have 3 questions:

1) Must I use UnrealEd to do all things? If so, can i use all UnrealEd resources to use in my own house project?

2) I´d like to do a stand alone application (so people could execute my project). What must i do? I can do this just with UnrealEd?

3) Finally, :), do you know any TUTORIAL made spefically for UnrealEngine RUNTIME projects?

Thx. for now.

Vito

Mar 18, 2002
Yes. UnrealEd is how you build the levels. You can import outside assets that you've created in 3D Studio MAX or Maya, such as new characters, new objects, etc., as well as import new textures and things, but ultimately all the placement, construction and lighting has to be done in UnrealEd.

Yes, you can use whatever assets are shipped with the Runtime or available in the Runtime bonus static mesh and texture packages in your projects.

Yes, you can distribute your project as a standalone program. This is more in the packaging of your map and the Runtime binaries, not so much something you do with one click in the editor.

UDN is the official reference site for the Runtime. Most UT2003/4 tutorials are applicable as well, at least on a high level (the actual UI differs in places).

Capablanca

Apr 29, 2004
Thx for your REPLY, Vito...

When I distribute my project, can i distribute the RUNTIME binaries too? (because i think that my friends will not see my project unless they have the RUNTIME binaries installed too).

I´d like to download a stand alone project made with UnrealEngine2 RUNTIME... Do you know where i can download it? (could be a very simple example)

Again, thx. very much.

ttl

Oct 22, 2003
The idea is (correct me if I am wrong) is that you should redistribute the runtime binaries in you're own package, so its one complete standalone package. Of course you have to abide the rules in the EULA.

Capablanca

Apr 29, 2004
ttl said:
The idea is (correct me if I am wrong) is that you should redistribute the runtime binaries in you're own package, so its one complete standalone package. Of course you have to abide the rules in the EULA.

Sorry, what "ABIDE" means? (my english is not so good)

ttl

Oct 22, 2003
in that sentence it could be replaced with "follow", so "follow the rules"