Why does UT go soooooo slow???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PissballPeat

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
Man I cant believe that Epic pulled a boner like this again!
this game is as buggy as Unreal was a year and a half later.

You would think that after all of this time and work and tweaking that they would have a relativly bug free game by now!

The only thing worse the the bugs is the networking.

unreal....

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
The only problem with UT are jerks that don't have a clue how to tweak their damn systems. So go here and do some tweaks and be happy or better yet if you don't friggin like the game "take it back" and go play something else. Also for best performance with most newer games you need 128MB of ram IMHO.
http://www.gamesurge.com/ut/tweakguide.shtml

For network issues then go here and tweak your stupid modem. http://home.inreach.com/echevarr/pingpage.htm

XSenergy

Nov 26, 1999
Arlington, TX USA
Visit site
Helfgott, it's the ram. Get 128, helped my game like a Bitch. And Pissball, not as an insult just calling your name, you make pulling a boner sound like something bad. The game really isn't that buggy. Any examples of bugs? Jeez what a dumb a-s-s. Why do stupid people come to this forum? People with names like PissballPeat. How did Epic pull a boner?! wtf? your name reminds me of names like Dickwad, CrotchHugger, TyphoonX etc. Pissballpeat... That was funny to me when I was thirteen.

bullet2.gif

For Unlawful Carnal Knowledge...

PissballPeat

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
examples of bugs???? are you kidding???
read the hundreds of post on all of the UT forums areound the net.
d3d is a joke games with more then 8 players on the net are laughable bugs are cralwing all over this release.
Dont be silly
God

Cicero

Once again.. I reiterate.. I'm running a Celery 300a o/c'ed to 450, 96 MB RAM, and a TNT (not even a TNT2) and it runs FINE. No problems at all.

Yeah, there's the small bug where it doesn't detect D3D in the auto-detection process, so just pick D3D yourself? Did you set it to software rendering on accident?

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Okay, I know a response is only dignifying the ignorance. But, for anyone new here who really wants to know....UT runs very nicely on an average system (300mhz and up)with at LEAST 64MB ram (128 is better).

Get yourself at least a 56k modem (cable, etc. of course is better). If you want to see all the graphic frills get a Voodoo card, as it was designed with that API in mind. Run it in software if you like, it still looks great.

Why anyone would want to waste our time with fantastic stories of bugs and problems; and why anyone would want to put down the absolutely amazing work that Epic did....I'll never know.

Let's hope the infantile and uninformed comments soon subside. Please, if you have an example of a bug, or any specific problems, let's hear 'em! If not, let's not continue this any farther.

Just my opinion.

The Gravedigger

Nov 25, 1999
PissBall, you are just a Shack Trash ID Fanboy come over here to troll, either that or your system is some crappy home built one that sounds great on paper, but is prolly held together with crocodile clips.

FYI on my 292mhz 64mb Voodoo1 system it ROCKS.

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
I've said it before, and I'll say it again... I just don't get it.

Peeball, please explain something to me. What are you trying to accomplish, by bashing UT? You keep saying how bad this game is, but I (along with thousands of others) just don't see it that way. And you know what? That's ok. It's really ok for one person to like a game, and another not to like it. I mean, do you really think that someone who likes UT, will somehow be awakened by one of your posts, and decide that he doesn't like UT?

I really just don't get it. For instance, if I did not like a particular rock band, you wouldn't see me showing up on their forum to bash them. I wouldn't even visit that particualar forum, let alone post there daily.

Are you one of the Quake3 fans that come in here just to put down UT? That really baffles me. Personally, I'll buy Q3 when it comes out, and play the hell out of that game too. You know what... (and this might just really set you off...) I'll probably like both games! (*gasps* Blasphamy!)

I suppose when it comes right down to it, you just crave the attention. And rather than get noticed by using intelligent posts, it is easier (and quicker) to just flame away.

C'mon Pissbutt, enlighten me on this one.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

EASY_Target

Nov 27, 1999
Visit site
I don't entirely blame the end user here, the purchaser of UT..if you read the box it states minimum requirements needed to play this game, well when I saw that at the cash register ..I laughed to myself..I KNEW THE HORRIBLE TRUTH.. it was a bold faced lie.

Unfortunately a lot of people buying this game actually believe what it says on the box (silly, I know, isn't it?), you can't blame them when they come to this forum , maybe for the first time and ask for help, personally I think a lot of you experienced Unreal/UT folk and old time posters are being unneccessarily harsh on these "newbies".

Just for the record ..this is what it says on the box

CPU
Minimum : Pent I @ 200Mz - 32Mb Ram
Recommended: PentII @ 233/266 Mz- 64Mb Ram

PDC_WildWolf

Dec 2, 1999
Richmond,RI,United States
Hi guys. Im new to this forum. Not new to online gaming though. I just wanted to reply to this thread. I read thru everyones post. I have to say I am very picky when it comes to gaming. So if I have a problem running a game. Ex: Slowness/choppiness etc. I find out what it takes to run it and make sure I have it. For example I notice so people here saying that UT is running slow on a machine with 64 meg of ram. Welp like I said before Im picky about games and if those people with 64 meg of memory want to run this game smooth, then there gonna have to upgrade to atleast 96. I personally recommend 128. I know some people are saying to themself this guy is rediculous I run it fine with 64. Yup Im sure you do, but have you ever tried playing it with 128? Its night and day difference. Heres an example for you. I play UT and lots of other games every weekend at a local lan party. Most of the guys have 128 meg of memory. My machine is a P3 450 with 128 meg of sdram and a voodoo 3 3000. Now a friend of mine there runs a P2 300 with 64 meg of memory and a voodoo 3 2000. UT on his machine had pauses every time he picked up or switched a weapon. When he went into a room with lots going on he would also get frame loss. I mean enough to say to yourself "damn this chugs". We ran some tests on his system and the only thing that helped him out was putting an additional 32 more megs of memory. Then it was smooth as glass. Dont get me wrong guys UT will *run* with 64, but if you really want the best game play upgrade your memory to *atleast* 96. Again I personally recommend 128. For all you ogl guys out there PDC is in the UT CTF open also. So hopefully ill see some of you guys out there. I hope this cleared some confusion up. These are only my opinions.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
To be crystal clear... the first part of my response was directed to Helfgott who seemed like he had a legit question. The second was for the lamers.

If you DO have a legit question then it deserves a legit answer. So, any long time posters here will do well to give a question the benefit of the doubt.

On the other hand, if you just wanna whine and make outrageous claims, then this isn't the place. Go to a forum that supports whatever game you may choose.

Now Helfgott, what resolution do you use, and do you have the latest drivers for your card? Are the graphics settings set to their lowest? Have you used Advanced settings?

Just for the record, UT does run on the reccomended P2 233/ 64RAM. That's why the game is highly configurable ... to allow more people to use the software. The minimum sytem specs are laughable. I wonder if that wasn't put there by our good friends at GTInteractive to sell a few more games?

Grendels_Mother

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
As another example....

Specs: PII 300 (yep, it's old...)
176MB DRAM
Creative Labs Graphics Blaster
(TNT1 w/16 MB memory)
32x CD drive

Performance - runs well at 800x600 in D3D mode if I knock the detail levels to medium and only run 16-bit color. Otherwise, I run into some choppiness, especially when online.

One thing I did notice is that performance markedly improved when I adjusted the HUD settings to show less information in a smaller size - got that tip here, BTW...

One thing I have noticed is that the @#$@ thing is always pausing when it accesses the hard drive. Maybe my HD is slow, but it gets B A D at times - enough so that I shut down the box in disgust. Any thoughts?

Hoping to plug in a PII 450 soon - maybe get one more year out of the old nag...

bullet2.gif

Bless this lord thy hand grenade, that with it thou mayest blow thy enemies to tiny bits, in thy mercy...

[This message has been edited by Grendels_Mother (edited 12-02-1999).]

[This message has been edited by Grendels_Mother (edited 12-02-1999).]

Helfgott

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
Well this has certainly gotten choatic, anyway, I have a cable modem to those who think I have otherwise, and the network code is great, the FPS is fixed, it my mouse (got that new intellimouse) and it works awesomely now.. As for you Q3 people, Q3 doesn't even come close to the likes of UT, look at the porportions in Q3, a machine gun is about the size of the redeemer and there are numerous other setbacks that I care not discuss with you...And if you hate UT get off the forum...

Helfgott

Dec 1, 1999
Visit site
and d/l Nerf Arena and Wheel Of Time (both good, except Nerf Arena, so really only one is good, and the other is stupid crap, so one is good)

Zirnike

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
If it can't be expressed in figures, it is not science; it is opinion.;
"...what are the facts, and to how many decimal places?"; -Lazarus Long

Please people, everyone has a different conception of 'good' I think Q2, crusher demo, 30 FPS is fine. Some people think anything under 60 is unplayable.

We need framerates, and system specs, not 'It's slow' 'It runs fine' - that's useless... Two different people could have the exact same framerate, graphics quality, etc. and give 2 totally different answers.

I'll start. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

p2-300, 128MB ram, GeForce256, non-ddr. I get 13.26 frames in 800X600X16, and 13.07 at 1024X768X16. Latest drivers. I don't think that's right, as my roommate has a p2-300, 128, V2, and averages 21 at 640X480X16, and my rate doesn't increase at all.

Status
Not open for further replies.