FOV

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
FOV = Field Of Vision/View = the angle between the left- and right-most point you can still see on your screen

The UnrealEngine FOV setting is basically applied to a square screen, then the top and bottom part are cut off to match your aspect ratio. In other words, your vertical FOV is actually much smaller than your horizontal FOV on a standard aspect ratio. With higher aspect ratios (especially 16:9) you will probably want to use a higher FOV value to increase your effective vertical FOV angle.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Ah, that makes sense now and that's what I was thinking it was.:) But do they even have this setting in the original UT? I can't seem to find it in the UT.ini or User.ini.

Last edited:

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
Ah, that makes sense now and that's what I was thinking it was.:) But do they even have this setting in the original UT? I can't seem to find it in the UT.ini or User.ini.
You're not looking hard enough.

User.ini, [Engine.PlayerPawn]
DesiredFOV=90.000000

I think some Anticheat programs (UTDC?) might put a cap on this level, to 110 or 120 I think.

War_Master

May 27, 2005
I think that the bNoCheating=True set in GameInfo (Gametypes) disallows the use of FOV change by binds even without anti-cheats... I'm not sure but someone might have the correct info about it. Fov 90 is pretty much correct for UT and is what I have always used and got used to it deeply since many other shooting games feel the same as well.

I remember some people mentioning that it is better to increase the FOV to about 130 for HD screens so that the view feels more normal but I really don't know since I've never used one. I think some anticheats wont allow you to change the FOV while in game with a console command. They do that because many aimbots let you change FOV with a bind and it is also considered as an illegal tweak in some ways since most new players don't know about it.

The best way to set the FOV you desire is by trying it out in a singleplayer game and leave the one you like the most. I believe that it can be set between FOV 20 to FOV 130 max.

the command in your console to change it is...
FOV <#>

For example:
FOV 100

The more the value is, the closer it will look to your character and will make you see wider. The lower the valuse is, it will make you see as if you were zooming in.

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Yep, found it! That's what I get for scanning too quick.;) I'll set it to 100 as suggested in the link in my LCD thread in the Hardware... section. I also found something that said something about console commands to change it and the bNoCheating command, but I won't be doing it that way. I think most servers cap it at 100 as I understand it so I should be fine when I play online, but I could be wrong. If I get kicked from a bunch of servers, I'll know that I have to change it back to 90 for online play.:)

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
I personally always found FOV 90 suit best even on widescreen screens (currently running 1440x900, that's 16:10 aspect ratio).
Another quirk is that first person weapon models will slightly "bend" when you set your FOV over default 90.

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
never thought about that :eek: I'm using 1920x1080 which is I think 16:9
trying fov 100 now, I actually kinda like it

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
my friend gave me a texture awile back that removes the world so it's just that background instead

medor

Mar 15, 2009
A bind

#1) Le fov

Dans:
user.ini
section:
[Engine.Input]
Aliases[26]=(Command="fov 120 | set input Space FovNorm",Alias=FovGros)
Aliases[27]=(Command="fov 90 | set input Space FovGros",Alias=FovNorm)

Space=FovGros

quant vous apuiyez sur la touche espace votre fov change de suite

fov normal par default 90 fov 120

on se rend compte qu'on voit mieux sur les cotés donc c'est mieux pour du combat raproché.

Dans le cas grand espace en 90 et en 120

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
FOV 100 seems OK for Unreal, but I just tried my UT-GOTY on the widescreen with 1920x1200 and what I think was FOV 100 setting (I'll have to check my User.ini again tonight for sure) and the player did seem too low and I may have to play UT-GOTY at FOV 90 or even 1600x1200.....I'm not sure yet. I'll try and bring up the same map on both computers and try it.:)

Dang it.....I knew I forgot to do something last night...OK, tonight for sure.

Last edited:

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
I compared the UT games side-by-side between the old 4:3 aspect CRT with FOV at default 90 and the new 16:10 aspect LCD with 1920x1200 resolution native. Strangely enough the FOV 100 might look better, but I'll have to try again. I did try setting the fullscreen thing to 1600x1200 and FOV 90 but the game just streched the scene to fit the full screen. I tried setting the StartFullScreen=False, but the game just locked up. Any ideas on how to get it to run in 4:3 aspect at 1600x1200 with the sides black just to see how it looks. Do I need a UT profile in Nvidia control panel or something (although it looks like this won't help)? Does it have anything to do with Display/Manage Custom Resolutions?

Last edited:

xvlin

Feb 11, 2009
Well, I don't think you would need this, but in nvidia control panel theres an option called Nvidia scailng with fixed-aspect ratio. It's so the screen doesn't stretch, but with 1920x1200 it shouldn't matter. It's all preferences, but I feel that fov 110 is the best for me. Maybe it looks different on mine, or maybe not, should I screen shot me next to player to show how it looks?

also I wouldn't recommend using it, if you don't hide your weapon..looks weird
I hide weapon so it's no prob, but just throwing that out there

Last edited: