Curved surfaces

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Claymore

The Flying Dutchman
Dec 24, 1999
Utreg, Holland
www.xs4all.nl
Sometime last year there was a guy who compared Q3 to UT, and I fully agree with him. But there's one thing I'd like to say.

Some ppl might already know it, but in the comparrison Q3's curved surfaces were pointed out, and indeed they're really cool, but this technique is NOT new.
Several custom maps for Quake2 came out which supported These curved surfaces. They're really nothing more than shadows, they just Look rounded.
Q3 just uses more polygones for curves, and combined with the shadow techniques it looks very nice.
Someguy told me that the polygon count increases when you get closer to a surface/brush/curve. This might be true, but that's just the way a game is programmed, and it's called efficiency.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I thought they were bezier curves.

bullet2.gif

Yes, I know I'm full of $I-IiT - but I'm Godlike dammit!

hal{PuF}

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Uh...am I missing something here? UT allows curved surfaces too. Enable it in one of the .ini files inside the systems folder( I would say which file, but I'm at work and don't want to direct you to the wrong file). It is the one with the list of graphic drivers i.e. D3D, OpenGL, S3, and Voodoo. Also, in the advanced console command you can enable it in the "Display options" (I believe). I think we are talking about the same thing right? If not...disregard. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Yes, but does it do anything? I had it on for a little bit, but of course that was a while ago, before I knew everything about UT *choke* *sputter* *cough*. *raises his hand in the air* "Save your watches! The shìt's getting deep!"

bullet2.gif

You know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression.
nguid:453406

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
You're right proph. The problem is that UT's curved surfaces is nowhere near as efficient as q3's. Plus most mapmakers don't include them anyway.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

F

[FiS]Prophetus|PUF

Rooster, I noticed that certain objects (like buttons, rivets, screws and other things that should show depth) appeared more realistic. Of course the world detail would be set to high. Also, certain objects or designs on players appeared mor lifelike (viens for example). But, in the heat of battle...you really don't need it. I can see it's benefit for demos or pics...yet for playing it is pretty much worthless.

[This message has been edited by [FiS]Prophetus|PUF (edited 02-21-2000).]

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Cool, I'll think I'll turn it on. Right now, I never dip below 40fps at 1024x768, High everything (including 32 voice sound @44.1khz). Always looking to spice things up a bit.

bullet2.gif

You know your worth when your enemies praise your architecture of aggression.
nguid:453406