2004 Pipeswitching to UT3 - Help

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Slayed Alive

Hi Everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could possibly show me or point me in the right direction of getting info on how and where to pipeswitch weapons in the UT3 engine. I managed in the UT2k4 engine but being more of a gamer than coder I am struggling to work it all out. Thanks for taking time to read ;-)

Btw, great new site guys and soooo happy for UT3 :D

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
Bad news... you can't. It ruined my entire control setup. There are poor substitutes around that work via rebinding keys on use, but they have some pretty significant problems that real pipeswitching doesn't, such as the fact that if you don't have one it either won't switch to the other.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
I replaced my stock binds, with a dual bind. It's not pipe in that you can't switch back and forth on one key, but basically, it checks one, then defaults to the other.

Like instead of just a key for rockets...

key=Switchweapon 8

I do a key for flak > rockets.

key=Switchweapon 7| Switchweapon 8

It grabs rockets always if you have them, but flak if you don't.

Basically, just have to go into the input.ini, and replace the existing binds with the dual binds you want.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
I replaced my stock binds, with a dual bind. It's not pipe in that you can't switch back and forth on one key, but basically, it checks one, then defaults to the other.

Like instead of just a key for rockets...

key=Switchweapon 8

I do a key for flak > rockets.

key=Switchweapon 7| Switchweapon 8

It grabs rockets always if you have them, but flak if you don't.

Basically, just have to go into the input.ini, and replace the existing binds with the dual binds you want.

But uhh... what if you want so switch from rockets to flak? :(

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
No, you have another button for that.

Q=Switchweapon 8| Switchweapon 7
MWheelUp=Switchweapon 7| Switchweapon 8
MWheelDown=Switchweapon 2| Switchweapon 5| Switchweapon 6
A=Switchweapon 5
G=Switchweapon 1
V=SwitchtoBestWeapon
T=Switchweapon 4| Switchweapon 9
Z=Switchweapon 3

I only group the ones that fire similar, and I only group them not to pipe, but so I grab a backup weapon if I don't have the one I'm trying to pull. For me it's less about reducing binds, and more about always pulling a weapon when I try.

Kronos[X]

Apr 4, 2008
You can pipeswitch weapon in UT3, but its not the same as UT2004. I will do my best to explain how.

First off for any weapon you want to pipe, you must unbind that weapon if you have bound that weapon to a different key. If you haven't reconfigured your keys then you don't need to do anything. Now open the UTInput file and you should see [Engine.PlayerInput] after bEnableMouseSmoothing=true is where i inserted the pipeswitch weapon commands.

Here's what my link/stinger command looks like
Bindings=(Name="PipeX",Command="switchweapon 4 | setbind i PipeY")
Bindings=(Name="PipeY",Command="switchweapon 9 | setbind i PipeX")
Bindings=(Name="i",Command="PipeX")

(i) being the key used for link/stinger. now for every weapon you must change the PipeX and PipeY too a,b or c,d and so on.

Here's what a Rocket/Flak bind would look like
Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="switchweapon 7 | setbind o PipeD")
Bindings=(Name="PipeD",Command="switchweapon 8 | setbind o PipeC")
Bindings=(Name="o",Command="PipeC")

This does seem to work faster then the one Epic gave us for Demmer/AVRiL. On the other hand it doesn't work the same as UT2004, you'll see what I mean.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
With those binds like that, there will be instances where you have to push the button twice to get to a gun.

They should proabably look more like this:
Bindings=(Name="PipeC",Command="switchweapon 8| switchweapon 7 | setbind o PipeD")
Bindings=(Name="PipeD",Command="switchweapon 7| switchweapon 8 | setbind o PipeC")
Bindings=(Name="o",Command="PipeC")

UEngine just doesn't handle recursion very well, so I try to avoid it. Catch me in quake or HL on the other hand...

Plutonia_Experi

Jan 28, 2008
Sorry for the n00b question, but "pipeswitching" means that pressing and keeping pressed a button it switchs to another weapon and fires continuously, and when you release the button it switch back to the previous weapon?
I did this for the Link Gun in ONS, now I'm sorry if it can't be done in UT3.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
Pipeswitching is the ability of having two or more weapons bound to one key and being able to cycle through them with the press of the button.

I think it was called pipeswitching because you separated the weapons in the .ini with the pipe symbol: NumPad7=SwitchWeapon 5 | PipedSwitchWeapon 6 | PipedSwitchWeapon 7
I'm probably wrong though :) (as to why it's called pipeswitching)

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Ummz this | is a pipe character as far as Im aware :p

Oh dub said that :lol:

I are is this a ummz thread! Wont the envy mut add this?

Last edited:

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
Can't these be done using the Macro commands for the G11/G15, or does the game have to specifically support the keyboard? I remember something about this for UT2004, but I thought the G15 patch was only for updating player info on the LCD.

Last edited:

Slayed Alive

MiddleMouse=PipedSwitchWeapon 8 | PipedSwitchWeapon 5
RightMouse=AltFire
MouseWheelDown=PipedSwitchWeapon 6 | PipedSwitchWeapon 7 | PipedSwitchWeapon 3
MouseWheelUp=PipedSwitchWeapon 4 | PipedSwitchWeapon 9 | PipedSwitchWeapon 0 | PipedSwitchWeapon 2

There we go :) ut2k4