Anyone else have this in common?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GodFlesh_[DET]

Mar 29, 2000
Visit site
i have a p2 400,v3 300,194 megs ram,plenty of room on my HD.Recently i've been crashing every other game with this error flag as a result:
General protection fault!
History:FMemCashe::Create<-UGlideRenderDevise: /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gifownloadTexture<-(size=2x2,(0/0) <-FGlideTMU::Tick <-UGlideRenderDevice::Unlock <-UVeiwport::Repaint<-UWindowsClient::Tick <-ClientTick <-UGameEngine::Tick <-UpdateWorld <MainLoop
I've reinstalled windows,UT (v413)(barebones,no mutators or skins D/Led) and my voodoo driver.Also,i've run scandisk and defragged.Nothing in my machine is overclocked.Oh i even tried giving the Ut engine more ram(64megs).
This doesn't seem to be a common problem but im at my wits end and need some help.
Thx alot in advance for any helpful replies /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif I just wanna frag in peace again.

------------------
Void planets roll
Regardless of desolation

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
I was having that same exact problem a few weeks ago. The entire game is just gone, instantly with no warning, except for a large error window, but it doesn't crash the entire system. I'm even pretty sure that I was getting that same error message. It was happening every other game for a while. Then it just stopped. I didn't reconfigure anything!

I know this isn't really helpful, I'm no techie, but at least you know it isn't just you, and when the smart guys read this thread they may have a little more to work with.

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
You got me inspired Godflesh /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I went under "search forums" and typed in "General Protection" as my search term. There have been a bunch of posts on this exact subject. Most of them are in the troubleshooting forum, but the gang around here doesn't seem to strict about that kind of stuff. Anyway, lots of people have had the same (or very similar) problems. Try turning of the 3D Sound thingy. A lot of people said that worked. A bunch of people think its video card related (a conflict perhaps?) As you can tell, much of what I read was over my head. I suggest you check out the Troubleshooting forum, and the "search forums" thing.

GodFlesh_[DET]

Mar 29, 2000
Visit site
BOOM - thx alot for the tip and for going out of your way to find help for me and others /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif
p.s. i get fleeting computer problems too hehe

bullet2.gif

Void planets roll
Regardless of desolation

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
My pleasure GF /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Let me know if you find a fix. You never know when mine might start acting up again.

Mine may have stopped crashing simply because I've been spending more time on this forum and less fragging and boomming.

tgsteele

Jan 22, 2000
Visit site
When I first had UT not patched I was getting those errors. I turned off 3d sound and it was fixed. Had no errors up until I installed 413. Then I got them again. I fixed it by a clean install and installing it to 405b. The weird thing is I didn't have 3d sound in 413 so it has to be something different.

Try installing up to 405 and see how you go

Slayer[FOR]

Feb 28, 2000
Madison
Visit site
A friend of mine and myself included came across the same thing. He did a fresh reinstall and it went away. I on the other hand... I went and changed my cache purge fequency from 30 days(which I think is default) to 0 days and the problem seemed to clear itself out.

We think it mught be that some people's system's are not purging the caches when it is supposed to. And if you play frequently it seems to get worse quicker.

Just my 2 cents...

"What do you mean I have to be politically correct, I just shot him!!"