Player Location specs

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
After a lot of revisions redesigns etc.I am finally getting a map done but I have a quick question for u pros out there. How do u get the map to display the player position, example: kbind, I need backup will show the players position Red base, Red courtyard etc. Is it just a simple matter of naming the brush cos I don't think that worked when I tried it a while ago.
Any one willing to test my map in a few days would also be welcome to have look. It's a ctf with low grav insta gib consideration I call it X's and O's and it uses a few dues ex textures.
Thanx

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
You'll need to Specify a LocationString in the area's ZoneInfo.

Or if you need in-zone division then place LocatioIDs (Actor-Keypoint-LocationID) to the areas and set their radii to the needed value.

If you need the player's XYZ location (debugging?) then type in REPORT into the console...

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
ChisToth
That worked to a degree but no matter what I do I can only get one script to show for the entire map. I put 3 different info zones (with 3 different strings). I tried putting location id's near each one with radius set(to subdivide an area,even different values 100-400) I tried tagging and eventing each one differently to assign the individual values to an area (info zone) but all I get is the first location string coming each time.The first one I assigned RAMP MIDDLE comes up throughout the map but red base and blue base won't when the player is in those areas.
I had a look at face which has three info zones with different location strings red, blue base and astroid area with no locationids and it works there.Any thoughts on what I am doing wrong does placement of zone portals have anything to do with getting these strings to work properly?
Confused :(

Fuzzpilz

klkk
Jun 28, 2000
:noitacoL
I see your problem. You evidently do not know what zones are and what ZoneInfos do. When you make a level, you can partition it into different zones. You do this by sealing all openings between zones off with nonsolid portal sheets and then putting a ZoneInfo in each zone. There's probably a tutorial at UnrealEd.exe.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
jeez Fuzzpilz your assumption is just that, I am pretty sure I know how to place zone portals properly at least been doin it 4 quite some time now and they work fine that is why I can't figure out what is wrong. But I will have another look at the hand book ;)

ChrisToth.hu

Level Designer
Oct 2, 2000
Atlantis
I don't know what's the problem...this MUST work. Check the level in ZP view and check if you have different zones...you know, different colors...you can have 1 zoneinfo in each and each can have 1 loc this way. If you are sure that you've zoned up the level correctly but you can't see the different zones in the ZP view then that means that something is messed up.

Try rebuilding and/or changing the portal placement.

If you simply put in Zoneinfos into the zones you'll need to rebuild first before they would work.

If you can't figure it out then post the map so we could check it.

Bogdon

Sep 21, 2000
Rochester NY
Visit site
Found what I was doing wrong. I had forgotten some of the ed basics learned over 6 months ago ( zone portals worked but badly placed) to many revisions and redesigns I guess.Thanx Fuzzpilz for giving me the kick in the arse I needed it. Re learning some of the fundementals again, I wonder if I am the only amateur mapper who goes through this ;).