Inf's version of bunnyhopping

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Ok, I've found something that is starting to piss me off.

One of the things many of us Infers don't like about regular UT is the damn bunnyhopping, people jumping up and down all over the damn place. So the Inf team gave us stamina, and no more bunny hoppers (and there was much rejoicing)

But there is a new habit that some out there on the Inf servers have picked up...
I call it bunnyproning.

People bouncing up and down, not jumping but going from standing to prone back to standing in the blink of an eye.

Real fuc<b></b>king annoying.

I'd have put this in suggestions, but I bet the Inf team has already fixed this problem :D

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
Be careful before you condemn anyone. I've joined servers with incomplete or corrupted installs. On those servers, the regular walking animation is replaced with the standing and prone keyframes. It looks really weird, and sounds like what you are seeing. Are you sure this isn't what you are seeing?

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i've had lag cause that problem too. you get just the right amount of lag and you hit prone, you prone then find yourself standing. so what do you do you hit prone again.

Cpt.Cypher

I Go By Cypher Now
Apr 7, 2001
Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
No, it happens

Yes, this happens alot.
What happens is you end up in a gunfight and the person hits prone and in a flash hes on the ground blowing your knees out. Now thats not a bad idea, but there has to be some sort of delay for going down and then another for being able to fire. Not to long, but there needs to be some delay.

ArbSkynxnex

with co-conspirator, Kitty
Mar 11, 2001
Normally if i go prone in a CQB fire fight, its because I paniced and accidentally double tap the forward or back keys, there by throwing me to the ground and making me dead shortly thereafter. I have seen some of the whacked animation but only on like 1 or 2 servers.

Murphy

Have beer, will travel.
Jan 9, 2001
Heh, proning in CQB

I have been trying moving my prone button around so that I do not have what ArbSkynxnex describes happen to me. Every so often I goof, accidentally hit prone while another movement key is also active, making me a an easy (for CQB) target while being unable to return fire. Perhaps the animation could just roll me over and expose my belly while I'm at it...

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
I always use the prone button in combat... as soon as i ge contact i'll hit the dirt. It saved my ass many times. I actually have it set pretty close to my other keys so when i twitch i will press it. You can't have any faster reaction then involountary reaction.

I do believe that getting up off the ground should cost a little stamina and take a little time

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I agree with The_Fur on this one, it should take very little time to get down (for both realistic and gameplay reasons). But it should take a much greater amount of time to get back up.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I don't know. I think that diving to the ground on your stomach no less) with 50+ pounds of equipment on your back wouldn't be the safest idea. I agree the speed at which this could be done IRL would be very fast (especially with all that equipment, as you'd simply drop). However, maybe there should be reason (other than not accidentally throwing yourself over a cliff) to use the slower drop to the prone position (via double-tapping the BACK key).

Maybe throwing yourself to the ground should do a bit of damage, or eat up a chunk of stamina, as landing on the hard ground with all your weight plus your equipment could very likely wind you, or at least bruise you up.

Very raraely do I ever go prone in combat. I use it more when sniping or defending an area (or simply to act dead within a area of corpses :D ). I agree that this is a problem, and have encountered it myself (and it wasn't lag, as I quite often have sub-100 ping).

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
The backpack doesn't REALLY need a function (though it does help with the realism).

I just though of another possible fix for this issue. The prone key can be removed. And instead of double tapping to get to prone, the player should use the toggle crouch key like a 3-way toggle also including prone, as well as crouch), the same way the jump key is a three-way toggle to get out of prone.

DarkBls

Inf Ex-admin
Mar 5, 2000
France
HoD, but in this case how would you choose to go prone quikcly or slowly ?

I like the current key settings

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
I think it should take a while to get back up, and if you jump up quickly it should hit our stamina harder then regular jumping.

Just try lying on your stomach with a rifle and a 50lb pack, then stand up real fast.

/me tries it and...I feel faint :)

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i've done it in paintball, and it takes a bit to get to where you can do much, it causes a bit of a shock to your system, especially when you dive down the side of a creek in to the water.

but you can get up pretty quickly too. if your gonna run to you position, if you've got a sling, all you really need to do is pull one leg forward a bit then shift your wwight and your in the classic start position for sprinters.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
But Lord_Bunker, in paintball do you have a 50+ pound backpack on when you do that?

I like thewalkingman's idea that it should be:

walk -> crouch -> prone

This is what I was trying to get at with my last post (though I admit I worded it poorly).

attachment.php

Col.Sanders

Oct 12, 2000
I agree with Hand of Darkness: IRL prone is not extremely useful, except for maximum concealment and minimum maneuverability.

NotBillMurray

It's Suntory Time!
Mar 11, 2001
...and minimum target area.

Prone is the best possible choice if you are in an area of minimum cover and you begin taking fire. I use prone mainly when I am trading fire at range with a non M203 equipped opponent. Because we are at range, the reduced target cylinder really doesn't make it cheating (ie, they aren't trying to shoot my legs). Always a better choice than running in the open for cover you'll never reach.