Instant Replays?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
I was just playing DM-birkly (something like that) and i was sniping out of one of the many windows, and i started feeling really bad about the bots. i was using the psg, and taking clueless bots out with headshots from very difficult ranges ( the map is huge ). And i started thinking. It'd really suck if i was just moving from side a to side b and i got killed by a sniper that due to typical resolutions ( 800X600 ) are actually impossible to detect. it's not so much that i'd be annyoed with being killed, but i'd want to know what killed me ( so i didn't think it was a glitch )

and i thought hey it'd be very cool if when you were killed you'd get a replay of your death from the point of view of the fellow that killed you.

on one hand this would force snipers to keep on the move rather than camp out in a tower all day long but on the other it could unbalance the game tatically.

does anyone know if UT can handel replays, or want to voice their opinon on such a feature?

I think that it'd be best limited to when you lose your last life.. that way you can say " ah ha that's where you were you sneaky bastar'd " but you'd be dead so you couldn't do anything about it including talk with your remaining team mates... but at least it would reduce the annoyance factor esp to newcommers.

boom

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I think that would be a very bad move.

1) Realistically you can't see from the guy who killed you.
2) Standard Inf is 1 life standoff, so it wouldn't matter.

shot.jpg

CorsaiR

Jan 19, 2001
If you're playing at 800 by 600, you don't know the meaning of 'impossible to detect'. Try playing at 640 by 480 double pixels, or 400 by 300...

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
Why not complain because you can't aim accuratly in 3x1 px? It isn't Infiltration's fault you use bad video settings. Thats the point of minimum system requirements.

shot.jpg

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
i've gottat use 640*480 cause of a glitch with my moniter. and to a certain extent you could record a dmeo just type recdemo name in to the consol. the i think it's demostop to stop recording and playdemo name to play it back.

firetatanka.jpg

FEAR!

DEFkon

Shhh
Dec 23, 1999
Visit site
i don't think your getting what i'm say'n.. open up ya ears!! :p

It's NOT being killed by a sniper that's annoying. IT's not KNOWING WHY YOU died. did you buddy accidently frag you, did you walk on some ungodly part of the map that kills you ( ahem ), or some other game glitch ( like a UFS Unidentified flying sniper ) that by all accounts of the game shouldn't happen or was it a legitmate death? How do you know? In CS they have a little icon msg that says you were killed by XX with a XX gun. So it's not left to the imagination. I thought i'd be nice if INF went one step further and let you see how it played out after the fact. That way the next round you play you know that someone on the other team camps out in position X most of the time. OR you know that the other guy is cheating ( flying up to the top of the skybox and sniping down on you ect ect.)

This would occure after you died the last time, so it's not going to effect gameplay, it just FYI.

boom

BA Baracus

I pity the fool!
Oct 17, 2000
texas
www.giantsofscience.org
warning, completely biased opinion ahead

granted this is all just my own personal preference, but i like it the way it is, at first i missed the old 2.7x messages whenever one of my bots died or killed someone but eventually i grew to really like it.

first off, remember this is a *realism* mod. and i don't think anyone can argue that it's not more realistic this way. but most of all, i find that it makes me play more carefully/tactically not knowing what's out there.

i like the cat and mouse game of trying to find that sneaky little sniper, and the great satisfaction of coming up behind him while he's scoped and showing him my boom stick!

but again, just my preference the same as you have your preference. personally, i wouldn't want to see who killed me, if i don't know why i died, i should have been paying more attention.

mrtt4.jpg

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
can wait for 2.85. it would be so fun to try to sneak up behind a prone sniper and jump on him like the bots do before you knife him.

firetatanka.jpg

FEAR!

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
Why should a sniper or anyone be penalized by a instant replay giving away there position. Your work getting to the point where you hiden but have good target site. Then doing your job correctly only to have a replay giving that position away.

If the player that was killed respawns then they know right where you are. Or they tell there teammates where the shot that killed them came from.o

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Instant replay would be way over the top,

but a short message telling you what was the cause of your death would be nice.

No names would have to be shown, only the team-name. And you would only see your own messages, not those of your team or the enemy.

For example :
'You were killed by an enemy-soldier'
'You were the victim of friendly fire'

- Hindsight is always 20/20 -

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
JaFO, there really wouldn't be much of a point.

"You were shot by a member of the Blue team."

What would a message like this tell you that you didn't already know? Nothing!

This discussion was brought up way back when (the actual discussion was on whether they should tell you who killed you), and it was agreed upon that this is not only realistic, but made more sense, as knowing who killed you doesn't matter. IRL, if you get shot, you likely may not ever know who did it, and does it matter? NO!

page

Assistant Coordinator,
Contributing Editor &
Graphic Artist
REAL LIFE GAMING (RLG)

Neglous8

Nov 30, 2000
When you see the animation of your body dropping to the ground it wouldn't matter who killed you. Your dead. If it was by friendly fire you gonna get a message from a team member. "Oops sorry dude" dying from the enemy is expected, there the enemy don't need a message telling me what I would already know from my limp lifeless body. :)o

RogueLeader

Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I think you should get a message saying who killed you when you died. Since your dead it doesn't matter, but in some cases, i.e. bots that like to get a little jolly with the trigger finger while aiming at the back of your head, I wanna know who the bastard was that shot me, because I'm gunna recipricate the team killing by giving Raynor there a third eye.

shot.jpg