UT + D3D + Hercules 3d Prophet II MX + Detonator 3 Drivers

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[dEx]GT2k

I have that set up as stated in the topic title, but when I try to run UT, I get nothing but lock ups, and always at the same exact point, when I did have the intro movie set to run, it'd go fine in there, but as soon as I'd hit escape to get the menu to showup, I'd get the lockup, so I disabled the movie, and then tried it, and got the same results, it'd lock up as soon as it tried to generate the menu up top. I've tried different drivers, settings, and what not, but no luck so far. I'm able to run the game with OpenGL with satisfactory results, although I believe my fps should be higher than what it is (20-30 on average).

Any suggestions? thanks.

M0ldM^n

Oct 27, 2000
Visit site
When I changed to a new geforce2 card from a voodoo I had similar problems. I saved all my maps etc and then uninstalled UT completely from my system and then reinstalled fresh. It worked for me...

[dEx]GT2k

believe me, I've tried :)

heh, that was the first thing I tried when got the new card, matter of fact I tried it several times...

So I'm pretty much stuck with one option only, and that's OpenGL :/ But I was thinking, that maybe the poor fps was just a result of my hardware (other than the vid card, i'm stuck with that for a while):

AMD K6-2 500mhz
160 megs ram
Hercules 3D Prophet II MX
Audio Phantom AW724 pci sound card

but, if anyone else reads this with similar problems, do NOT get the new open gl and d3d renderers from epicgames, I decided to give that a try the other day, and it was worse than before in open gl (I wouldn't know about d3d), and, the game wouldn't exit without me having to reboot everytime.

slipstream3d

Jan 28, 2001
CANADA!
members.home.net
I have a similar performance problem in UT. I upgraded from a Voodoo3 3000 AGP to a NVidia Geforce 2 MX (Asus V7100 32MB) and I only get around 50 fps on an empty map at 800*600, in Direct3D or OpenGL. I got similar performance on my Voodoo3 but in every other game it's more than doubled.
UT wasn't installed during the upgrade, I added it after I put the Geforce 2 in.

[dEx]GT2k

heh, be happy you have 50 :)

what drivers are you using slipstream? maybe I'm just using the wrong ones.

and one more thing, I've seen in other threads when people are told to try out the loki drivers, now, that confuses me, are they speaking of loki as in lokigames (the linux version), or something else? and could those drivers possibly work on my system? (win me)

chuzo

Jan 28, 2001
Visit site
This one of my problems........ I own a 3D Prophet 2 MX upgraded from a BANSHEE. When I first installed everything worked find at 1024x768x32. After upgrading it to Guillemot's BIOS 3.11.00.08.00 the game makes "stops" of aprox. 1 second when I run, jump, turn.... I made every tweak possible without any result. And when i reinstalled UT......... I got the same problem that, and the game still make that stupid "stops".

grrrrrrr

Any idea?????

funkdubious

Dec 1, 1999
Orlando, FL, USA
Visit site
gt2k: i dunno who actually created the loki driver, but supposedly it makes the game look sweet...

i havent seen it myself though... the one time i tried it, i couldn't get it to work, but i didnt spend much time on it

Daddy Cool

Jan 29, 2001
Visit site
I also upgraded from a voodoo2 3000 AGP to a 3D Prophet 2 MX and had similar problems.

AMD K6-2 500 (VA 503+)
192Mb PC100
3D Prophet 2 MX
SB16 PCI

Everyting is *ok* if I use the hercules drivers that came with the driver CD (version 532). I get slowish frame rates (average 28fps at 1024*768*16 with medium textures) but if I changed to anything else wether it was from Hercules or Nvidia they all caused some sort of conflict with the card and as a result I got rates of about 8fps and distorted sound etc. And the performance was down in other games like Q3:A aswell although not as bad.

I tried everything from reinstalling Win98 4 times to trying every patch version of UT with every combination of drivers (phew that took me days!).

[dEx]GT2k

think I know the problem

my card (the 3d prophet II mx) needs agp 2.0, without it, the card may not function properly, my mobo has 1.0, so I'm gonna get that straightened out, and post my results here, although i might have to dig for this topic, as it may be a while before I can do anything about this.

slipstream3d

Jan 28, 2001
CANADA!
members.home.net
Whoops, sorry for not replying!

I'm using Detonator 6.31 of www.nvidia.com and UT 436. I tried the Loki OpenGL and got about 4 frames per second... at least it was better than OpenGL before where it got about a frame every 7 seconds :D I think my secondary vid card was conflicting (it's gone now, good riddance. I don't need the secondary monitor THAT much!)

[dEx]GT2k

heh..

thanks for the info, but I know the problem now...

it is the agp version that's causing this, that and my processor is holding it way back, I won't be able to upgrade my system for a while, so I'll have to put up with 20fps average in matches for a while (big deal), get a new mobo (with agp 2.0!) later on, at least a duron chip, maybe thunderbird 1gig+, and go up to ddr ram, 200mhz bus speed, this in all should fix all my probs, just now it's a $ problem...