Skullgirls

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
A fighter with excellent hand drawn sprites and anime girls with oversized tits. I imagine that is what is good about it.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
So it's an Arcana Heart 1/2/3 ripoff without the lolis?

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5KDpE4Vy0Ew[/M]

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
I probably should have an actual match video:
[m]http://youtu.be/WkiKwnJAdTE[/m]

What makes Skullgirls a good game, aside from the awesome art style and music?

Gameplay is actually fairly awesome and surprisingly considerate of what a fighting game should have. It's less Arcana Hearts and more Marvel vs. Capcom 2...except with girls. And possibly skulls.

It's not any one particular thing--if you don't like fighting games you won't like Skullgirls because Skullgirls is a fighting game, but a lot of little things just make the game SO DAMN GOOD. Here's a few of many cool things about the game.

• The game detects and lets players 'burst' out of infinite loops, stopping stupid crap like 100% combos without having to neuter spay character move sets.
  • You have variable team sizes between 1 and 3, with picking less characters making them stronger. For example, you can have one super-powerful grappler fighting a much weaker three-girl tag-team group.
  • Tons of thought was put into strong competitive play. Though it's very easy to execute commands (no pretzel joystick motions), there is all the depth you'd expect to find in this $15 downloadable title that you would a modern crazy fighting game and possibly more. Tag-ins, Alpha Counters, Delayed Hyper Cancels, Hit Confirm into a Super, etc.. Point being, Skullgirls is crazy amazing tournament-level playing stuff.
  • It's headed by a pro-tournament player (MikeZ of REAL SOVIET DAMAGE fame) and was built on heavy community feedback. This is about as close to 'made by fans for fans' as you'll get with fighting games.
  • REFERENCES EVERYWHERE. This should have a list of it's own. One character will take a six-shooter and yell 'GARBAGE DAY' when doing so. One character turns into a Moai head from Gradius and turns your playing field into a shoot-em-up.

Basically if you like fighting games and miss the days of crazy MvC2 and Guilty Gear style play, this is something to very much look into.

Last edited:

FuLLBLeeD

fart
Jan 23, 2008
Kansas
awwsmack.org
You forget the best part Trynant: custom assists! Unlike games like Marvel vs Capcom where you can only select from a predetermined list of assists, Skullgirls lets you input any normal or special move as an assist.

Also there is no comeback mechanics, making this the only fighting game this generation without them besides KOF13.

And there is a tutorial mode that actually teaches you how to play fighting games, and goes over stuff like high low mixups, cross ups, why not to do stupid shit on block (funkblast), etc.

I bought this on launch and haven't got that in depth with it yet. I like Ms. Fortune and Peacock so far. Once my summer break starts I'm going to be spending a lot more time with this game.

Tre`

Apr 10, 2008
Also there is no comeback mechanics, making this the only fighting game this generation without them besides KOF13.

And Virtua Fighter 5.

I'll probably get this game on PC just to support them and their desire for PS3/PC cross-platform play, but I don't think the game's particularly interesting and the art, while very well done (and well animated), is definitely not to my tastes.