Odd Win98SE issues...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
As some of you may know, I am now dual booting win98se and winxp. Everything is great and running just fine except for a really bothersome problem. My DVD-ROM drive is acting up under Win98. First off, Win98 detects it as a standard CD-ROM drive, which cant be good and then there's the main issue.

The main issue is that on occasion under win98 only (this doesnt happen under XP) my dvd rom will decide that it wants to eject whatever is in there, even if nothing is in there. I can be playing a game and I'll just get eject requests. If I try to eject a CD by pushing the button on my DVD-ROM, it doesnt open however, if I go into My Computer and select Eject, it works. Also, it likes to randomly run the autorun of whatever CD is in there. So I'll be doing something and the autorun of Need For Speed 3 will come up.

Anyone think of anything that could help? I also need to get my gameport working so I'll ask about that too.

I want to use my Craetive gameport on my SB Live for my MS Force Feedback Wheel. Windows 98 (yes, only 98 again) detects the gameport but it's not an available option under port in the Game Controller control panel. I checked microsoft's site and it said to run win98 in safe mode and then set the gameports I/O to a value of x200-x20F. So I tried to do this only to find that you can't set anything to a value of "x" and secondly it wont just let me set it to "200-20F" So what am I suppose to do there. For this reason, my force feedback doesnt work :(

If anyone can think of anything that could help, let me know, I'd really appreciate it.

EDIT: hmm, apparently this has been moved to the hardware/software forum. I doubt anyone comes here though :( oh well, if anyone does see this, help.

Last edited:

Warm Pudgy

null
Feb 18, 2001
it may be moved but it leaves a link to it in off topic:con:

only thing i can think of is to get the latest drivers for your dvd rom
and i wouldnt know a thing about your force feed back

shouldve gotten one thats usb

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Unless you are playing really ancient games that won't run under XP, I would suggest doing your gaming under XP. It's the supported platform, it's what drivers are optimized for, and it's what games are optimized for. It has really matured as a stable platform (not to say much for it's security, though) :)

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
well, a firmware upgrade fixed my DVD-ROM but now it detects it as a different version of the same DVD-ROM, no big deal so it now works correctly. If I could only fix this annoying gameport problem then I'd be set

what did they mean by "x200 - x20F"?

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
well, I actually fixed both of those problems myself \o/

DVD-ROM: upgraded the firmware despite it changing what drive I had (changed it to a different version of the same drive) and the problem was no more.

Gameport: I disabled the onboard gameport in the BIOS and then my creative gameport works perfectly and offers force feedback in my games. Nothing quite like racing on the boardwalk in NFS3 with force feedback on :D

so thank you all for the help :)