Virtual Museum

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

uNdErGR

Apr 17, 2006
Hello to all Unreal Tournament fans !

I would appreciate a little bit of help on a mod I am working.

I have designed a map of a "Virtual Museum" and now I would like to make a mod, that guides the visitors in the museum.

The idea is the following:
The user logins in the map. Of course, no weapons are available and no default weapon is used.
He starts visiting the museum. When he stops in front of a exhibit, a ZoneTrigger is triggered and it shows him the corresponding description about the item. (The descriptions for each exhibit are "hardcoded" into the map. I have created a class, that keeps this kind of information).

In each room, there is a switch present (connected to a trigger). When the user activates the switch, the bot (museum guide) is called. He approaches the player(visitor) and asks him how could he be helpfull.

Then the player can ask the bot predefined questions in some way. Ex.:
"Where can I find a exhibit of Leonardo Da Vinci?" and the bot must guide him to it.

I have read thw wiki and various tutorials and this is the way I am thinking to work:
I should create a new GAMETYPE and not a MUTATOR. My new GameType must extend the GameInfo Class and I must provide all the necessary classes so the bot can act as a "museum guide".

Is this correct?
Also, how can I control the bot's behaviour ? I don't want him to kill any people in there !

I am working with Unreal Tournament (99)

Thanks a lot

Hazard.ep

Oct 7, 2003
Actually projects like this are, what UnrealEngine2 Runtime was made for. You could use UE2 graphics and didn't have to worry about weapons and stuff. In the RunTime I could also help you with bot behavior, I've quite some experience here.

uNdErGR

Apr 17, 2006
I would like to use UnrealEngine 1.5 and not UnrealEngine2.
Also, I would like to use Unreal Scripting language.

Is this not possible ?

Which classes should I override ?

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
Of course it is possible to do it in UE1, but UE2 offers great improvements in terms of not only visual quality, but also AI scripting. If you still want to do it, you will have to write and compile UnrealScript code. With the UE2 (e.g. UE2 Runtime or UT2004) you could create your guide scripts using the existing AIScript features.
As an additional advantage, the UE2 Runtime is a free download, while UT is a commercial game.

PTGui

Mar 7, 2006
Wormbo said:
Of course it is possible to do it in UE1, but UE2 offers great improvements in terms of not only visual quality, but also AI scripting. If you still want to do it, you will have to write and compile UnrealScript code. With the UE2 (e.g. UE2 Runtime or UT2004) you could create your guide scripts using the existing AIScript features.
As an additional advantage, the UE2 Runtime is a free download, while UT is a commercial game.

UE2 Runtime is free download but is not to use completly freely. If you are developing something that you want to really use it not free. And actually only the demo of Runtime 2 is free, because de registered version is not free.

Any particular reason why you want to use that version uNdErGR? Because Wormbo is right saying that it's a lot easier for you that way.

uNdErGR

Apr 17, 2006
I don't have any particulary reason.

I just want to do something good and quick.
I would prefer programming in Unreal Scripting and not in C++.

What is your oppinion ??

What do you propose?

uNdErGR

Apr 17, 2006
Also, the digital museum map is already ready for Unreal Toutnament. Can I use it with Unreal Engine 2 ?

pospi

Jun 30, 2003
www.pospi.cjb.net
don't think theyre compatible but someone else might know something I don't.

The UE2 Runtime is free for personal and educational use I think, or something along those lines. Basically I think the deals is that if you don't plan on making any money out of it, you can use UE2R.

I would heartily recommend upgrading though, theres lots of things you can do with UE2 that you can't do with Unreal Engine 1.5.

uNdErGR

Apr 17, 2006
pospi said:
The UE2 Runtime is free for personal and educational use I think, or something along those lines. Basically I think the deals is that if you don't plan on making any money out of it, you can use UE2R.
For educational use it is!
It's for an assignment I have (for uni), I won't kame any money from it, I promise :p

PTGui

Mar 7, 2006
Then you can use the educational version (Demo) of Unreal 2 Runtime.

I think it's a way better choice than 1.5.

uNdErGR

Apr 17, 2006
PTGui said:
Then you can use the educational version (Demo) of Unreal 2 Runtime.
Ok, i 'll give it a try.

I have just downloaded the runtime.
Any tip for me to begin ?

What should I do first ? I am a little bit lost with all the tutorials and wikis that exist.