PC gaming dieing?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
"I'm going way out on a limb, but I think the PC is going to cease to be any kind of viable (gaming) platform within the next 18-24 months"
--Rob Dyer, president, Eidos

"It's gotten so bad with all the various non-standard hardware out there that way too much of PC development is now focused on compatibility management, testing, and making design decisions that will make the game less than it could be for the sake of catching customers with OEM video cards or whatever. It's a nightmare."
--Mike Wilson, CEO, Gathering of Developers

"PS2 is quite a contrast to the nightmarish lack of standards on the PC, and the need to support very old systems with weak CPUs and no minimal hardware acceleration.
Another key advantage (for consoles) is market size. A mega-hit console game can do well over three million units in the US alone, versus a ceiling of perhaps one million units on PC. Average titles for a hit console will also sell two to three times as much as those developed for the PC."
--Phil Steinmeyer, PopTop Software (a GOD affiliate)

"PC is an open and versatile development platform, but only a few gamers will want to spend so much money to play. It is also a nightmare for developers, as you are not sure of the hardware the final customer will have to play your game. It may look and feel great on one video card, and be terrible on another. Not to mention that Korean joysticks might create conflicts with your Bulgarian mouse when a Turkish video card is detected."
--David Cage, CEO, Quantic Dream

"PC games have done very well this year, and they've been very cutting edge, things like the advanced graphics and multiplayer. What we're going to see is that in the home, your TV, your set-top box, will have this rich game capability that's really just a standard thing -- and you'll be able to download over the Internet most of those new games."
--Bill Gates, ex-CEO, Microsoft

------------------
Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

[This message has been edited by Wingznut PEZ (edited 02-22-2000).]

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
you're nuts. PC gaming is going nowhere anytime soon. It's too profitable at the moment, and will remain to be so for as long as there are new games to be made.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
I'm nuts?

Not my quotes, Chryst. In no way am I suggesting that I believe/disbelive this theory. (Although, after seeing the Dreamcast, what the PS2 has in store, and MS's intents with their X-box... You can't help but wonder.)

I'm just throwing out a topic to discuss amongst yourselves. (I'm getting verclempt.)

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

[This message has been edited by Wingznut PEZ (edited 02-22-2000).]

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
I think we all know the truth. PC's will always have a place in gaming. Consoles are boring and limited. Not that they don't have some good games, they are just limited to what they can do.

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
True, Billy. But what these industry leaders are saying, is that the PC market is in trouble. There will always be hardcore PC gamers, but they are saying that the casual PC gamer will go to the new consoles.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
perhaps, but until the PC stops making money for game companies, I don't see that PC games are in any danger.
Ind I don't see PC games NOT making money.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM

BoBVila ]|[ Arena

Dec 2, 1999
Visit site
It all depends on how you define a "PC". Soon, we will see consoles becoming exactly like a PC but with only one configuration (I guess kind of like an iMac), and be much cheaper. As a result, we will be playing games on our "PC".

Look at X-Box. It's going to have PC parts (like an Athlon supposedly, and I think a HD). It will run all Windows software. Now which is it? A console or a PC? Both, really. Consoles are becoming more and more like PCs, and I believe eventually we will see people buying PC's for all the business stuff, while getting new consoles for games. Also high-end PC's will still be in the need because it is seen as a status symbol, such as fancy cars.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Uhh the main problem right now is that there are very few sucessful game companies. For every UT that is released ther are at least 5 flops. Often the good games are the ones that fall through the cracks. How many people actualy played SystemShock 1 when it first came out?
Look at Sierra and all the projects they cancled, or the multitude of developers that closed their doors last year. We are in trouble!!!!! The entire PC gaming comunity needs to sally fourth and take action.
Console gamers are our competition. If they bring in more profit, More developers will make console games. We cannot allow this. Do not buy console systems!!!
Buy console games only when they are ported to the PC!!!
Beat devout console gamers over the head with Atari 2600s!!!!
DO NOT PIRATE!!!!
Flood developers with pro-PC email!!!

The ultimate goal is convergence! Bring the TV, Gaming system, DVD player, and Telephone into the PC. Dont let it go the other way. PS2 Is our enemy, Dreamcast is our enemy, Web TV is our enemy!!!! The time to fight is now!!! One last rally to hold the line agains the night!!!

bullet2.gif

---Prof. Of Comic-Therory/Comedic-History
Ronnie Mervus will pay for his crimes!!!!
George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

Malsar

Dec 24, 1999
Canada
Visit site
I think the next logical step in console game development is an add-on piece of hardware for your PC. The PC is just becoming far too useful. I now watch movies and play video games on the same piece of electronic equipment (my PC). Either the PC will become the entertainment device of the future, or current entertainment devices will become PCs. I can't see it going any other way. PC's are simply capable of too much to be forced out of any industry.

bullet2.gif

"Learn about art Captain. When you understand a species' art, you understand that species"
-- Grand Admiral Thrawn

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
At what point does a console become a PC? What defines a PC?

If it can do everything a PC can now do.. doesn't that make it a PC?

bullet2.gif

"Every damn time I walk through that door, it's the same damn thing
That bitch bends over, and I forget my name."

nguid:453406

Guysmily

Nov 30, 1999
Chicago, Il, USA
Visit site
Every time a new console system is about to come out someone says that this is the end of pc gaming.

That's a load of crap. The Ps2 will look great, and have great games, but will not be able to compare to pc games.

I have never seen a state of the art console even compete with just an average pc.

bullet2.gif

Death awaits you all with big, nasty, pointy teeth.

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
Ok Wikznut... I am going to have to beat you over the head with an Atari 2600 now. Im sorry but dems da rules. This is gonna hurt me more than it will hurt you

bullet2.gif

George Lucas, Give us Star Wars DVD! Or I swear I'll kill every ewok there is!!!

*Liquid*

Jan 11, 2000
Virginia
skull.gif
Rooster raises an interesting question :"At what point does a console become a PC?". The answer to that question is:"now". With the introduction of the internet to console gaming, the line between console and computer has blurred significantly to the point where there is almost no difference between the two. We, as PC Gamers, may have to rethink our position on consoles and their limitations.
skull.gif

D66

Grey Pilgrim
Feb 2, 2000
Gondolin
Visit site
NEVER!!!! There is no room for compromise!!! I will fight against console domination to my deat!! Death I say!!! DEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAATTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

bullet2.gif

Wingznut PEZ

Nov 30, 1999
Portland, OR, USA
Visit site
Bring it on, D66!!!

I've got several cpu's, video cards, and sound cards (all past upgrades, just to keep up with the latest games), sharpened up real nice just like a throwing star.

*whoosh, thunk!*... You and your 2600 will never know what hit you.

bullet2.gif

Wingznut [PEZ]
ICQ #29598363

I love playing "The Devil's advocate."

tykeal

Dec 28, 1999
Tacoma, Wa, USA
www.bardicgrove.org
I once saw a definition of what "defines" a PC. It wasn't so much the hardware, but what it ran.

The basic points are:
1) It can store / load programs
2) It can be communicated with in a semi-intelligent manner (eg keyboard)
3) There is a word processing system available for it.
4) There is a spreadsheet system available for it.
5) It is capable of running some form of a database that isn't in a spreadsheet.
6) Data must be able to be dumped out of the system into a non-electronic format (printing for instance)

Now, personally I find a couple of these a bit wrong. For instance the IBM PC didn't come out with a spreadsheet system at all. It wasn't until VisiCalc (the first true killer app) came out that the idea of a spreadsheet program even existed. The word processor on the other hand was there right from the beginning.

So, for the settop boxes to become PC's by that definition set your going to be needing to see a word processor, a spreadsheet, and a database developed. I remember that there were rumors of allowing a HD on the N64, a keyboard and mouse and I think a printer even along with a modem. What became of all of that I don't know.

Most likely the x-box will be the more true PC of the settops in the forseeable future as MS Office might very easily run on it from the start *shudder*

bullet2.gif

I belch in your general direction.

Diving Mullah

Jan 11, 2000
Los Gatos, CA, USA
Visit site
Just because one CEO says something this stupid does not make it true.

we are talking about compatibility issues. What you guys forgot the pre-windows era!

Upper memory, lower memory, auto-exec, config.sys? It used to be so hard to a play a game on the DOS PC, but now everything is win 95/95 compatible, and games do run more easily on these platforms.

need to go talk to you soon

mullah

bullet2.gif

Kick Hard and Blow Bubbles! [:]O