Infiltration not necessarily an FPS

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Craetech

Jul 1, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Most of the time, I dont think of INF as a FPS or even a game. IMO, its a

"modern day infantry simulator"​

Not unlike flight simulators, they do not boast not stop action or something from a John Woo film, but face the "player" with the restrictions of RL. What SS has, have, and will do is provide the player with basic tools of an infantryman (or woman) as both a person, i.e. walking, crouching, prone, leaning, etc., as well as a weapon, i.e. equipment, rifle's fire where its pointed, manual recoil control, etc. What you do with these is up to you. That's where tactics comes into play, and this is more powerful than any weapon available. That, and lots of training of course! ;)

On the other hand, the player *is* seated in front of the monitor (usually. haha). Little "simulator" elements are therefore implemented to emulate the limitations of the computer hardware, i.e. HUD with stamina, bulk, weapons carried, etc.

Just my thoughts on INF: This is as real as it gets.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Another similar instance is Richard Burns Rally - it's much more of a simulation than rally game. The attention to detail is mostly what makes it so realistic. However, I wouldn't say Inf is 'as real as it gets' - that's just complacency. It probably is over most FPSs around at the moment, but it's no excuse not to look at even more details and areas of improvement.

But I'm sure the Inf team knows this, so take this post as just a plug of my favourite rally simulation ;).

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
inf is really mental. i like this. its about making decisions in regard of what you anticipate the ennemy to do , who is making decisions in regard of what he is expecting you to anticipate ect ect

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
Sorry kids, there's a long way to go before inf can ever be considered simulator.
It's first person. You shoot things. Aspects you would expect in a 'simulation' are usually skipped or ignored. Hence, an FPS.

NTKB

Banned
Aug 25, 2001
New Jersey, U.S.A.
Sadly, I gotta agree with Yurch. I wish to god I can curse and scream at him for speaking these things, but its all truth. Geo does make a good point, but yurchs is stronger.

CFA

The Cult Of Personalities
Apr 23, 2004
i like to refer to it as a RPG(role playing game) where we play roles of modern day and past day soldiers.filling the role of a soldier is really more exciting than running around like a madman taking on 6 people at a time.

Craetech

Jul 1, 2000
Kuala Lumpur
Amen!

I just wish INF gameplay and teamwork will be somewhat like Full Spectrum Warrior (which was in some way used by the US army).

Taque

Custom User Title
Dec 3, 2002
PARIS
www.mpclan.com
Well if you ever played flight sims geo, I'd like to think that Falcon 4.0 was a simulator as opposed to the Jane's games which were more arcadey. Sure, there were real elements in the Jane's games, but Falcon just took it 20 or 30 steps more. Hell, large parts of the manual for the actual Falcon were included in the one for the game. :p