Total Crash!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Bishop

I think I might be bleeding out of my ears!
I've spent nearly 150 hours on a new map and the editor suddenly wont let me edit.When I boot up my level I get the classic " GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT".It cant seem to open my level!!! I will give specific G.P.F info if anyone dares tackle this problem. I can't offer much in return except a test play of what I think is a hightened state of reality for Unreal.PLEASE HELP ME.Thanx.

SXDX

Nov 11, 1999
Visit site
If you can't figure out what's causing the editor to GPF, try opening up 'autoplay.unr', which should be a copy of your level from the last time you playtested it.

You *have* been playtesting it, right? /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
Hopefully you have been play testing it every now and then. If you did then open up the autosave.unr (like SXDX said). Then from there export it the level and import it into a new level.

Bishop

Thankyou for your prompt attention.
Yes I have play tested the world many times.
Im going to give you my problems in point form if you have time to read them:
1. I cannot open my level within the editor without being given a GPF.
2. I can open my level independantly, outside the editor but it crashes within a minute or so.
3. The GPF message is as follows:
GENERAL PROTECTION FAULT (Boy I hate those words)
History:URender::ClipBspSurf<-URender::OccludeBsp<-URender::OccludeFrame<-URender: /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gifrawworld<-UGameEngine: /~unreal/ubb/html/biggrin.gifraw<-UWindowsViewport::Repaint<-UWindowsClient::Tick&l t;-ClientTick<-UGameEngine::Tick<-UpdateWorld<-Mainloop
3.I dont know if that helps-Its all mumbo jummbo to me.
4. Because I can only access my world from within the game itself is it possible to export your world from within the game? (or was that what you were trying to tell me?) And if so how?
I'm uping the reward to a bag of mail ordered monkeys.Thanx for your patience.

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
oh, man. hehe. i had that happen to me about 6 months ago and a month ago. i couldn't fix it so i pretty much just started over. i know it sucks, but i haven't found a solution,yet

Bishop

Suicide seems like a definate option right now.All I can say is that it was a beautiful map that had lots of potential. I think I may have over-tasked the editor.I was going for tons of detail,I wanted a really,really real enviroment.I even had plug outlets on the walls,broken dishes, books flipped open to specific pages,base boards, door and window trim...The list goes on and on.@%%#@$#@#$#@#!!!!!Anyone who has Kavorkians number let me know.Later.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
I think what you did was completely kill the engine for that specific map. Just sounds like a lot of detail that's all. Really, though I don't think there is any hope, sorry.

Eliwar

-
Aug 14, 1999
Yep, that wa what did it to me. in the bathroom. I had every little detail. the soap, faucet and drain, correctly modeled, tooth brushes,a heat vent that was completely done (had the little strips of metal and the lever to let in more heat). I learned my lesson

Bishop

So...Having said all this, does anyone know how much detail is too much detail in Unreal? Does anyone know at what point the poly count is to high? I been using the editor for a year now but I want to raise the stakes a bit and create a more convincing level of detail. I'm sure this is a problem alot of proffesional designers face and if they stumble upon this forum maybe they can say a few words. Thanks for all the input guys! Its been refreshing.

Wanderer

Jul 7, 2000
One of the things CliffyB said, if you're working with UEd and the grid is set to 4, it's too much detail (unless it's collision hulls).

The max acceptable today is still close to 200 polys per scene and that's with no monsters (gotta remember everybody else not just your PC).

I think the max for any decorational scene before choking is 300 polys. Bear in mind that's on a Celeron 450 using a Savage4 card.

SP you can do about 150 poly a couple monsters and still be playable with no problems.

MP you really shouldn't exceed 100 poly's. After that point you're guaranteed to start killing someone elses PC.

zenbaby

Nov 10, 1999
Chestertown, Maryland, USA
If you are still having that ANNOYING GPF, I tryed every fix, patch and this and that. Nothing worked! Not until I installed Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 3!
It works most of the time...I still get the GPF error every now and again. Just try again and it'll start right up! Though I was considering throwing my copy of Unreal out the window before I stumbled upon the SP3 "kinda-fix". Good luck!