Why does UT only have TCP/IP network support?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The other networks are a lot easier to set up and find out what's wrong for people that only play every now and then and don't know everything about networks. Why doesn't Unreal or UT support the other stuff? Does it have something to do with the game? Is it not possible with this game? Or is it do difficult for Epic to write the network code for the other types? I hope they can add a patch to support other types sometime soon. I have a TCP/IP network, but since my friends have to swap modems and network cards everytime we play because they don't have enough slots, we have to spend an hour setting up his comp and restarting 40 times.

------------------
Ask the carney folk to get it, they're great climbers!

Lanik

Nov 27, 1999
Austin, TX USA
www.austinfd.com
Because TCP/IP is the best networking protocol there is. You can do everything that IPX does with it, it has a lower latency than IPX and the packets can vary in size.

Basically, there is no reason to support IPX in this day.

Finally, because one thing MS did right was create a very good networking architecture in DX (DirectInput) and TCP is fully supported there. That's the practical answer and why many gaming companies are doing it that way.

Taskmaster

Godlike - I like God
Nov 29, 1999
www.geocities.com
I'd like to see modem support - i.e. two players not requiring the Internet. I have a slow modem for starter, which I plan to upgrade very soon. But sometimes it is hard to find a server that has rrom for myself and my friend (CTF that is), since we both only have the demo.

That way the two of us could take on the bots in CTF and such, but without the ping overhead.

Just a thought.

[OF]candyman

Nov 24, 1999
OHIO
www.iamapervert.com
actually you can play modem to modem..it is a few steps but go here to find out about it...I play it and it works great
go here to learn how to set it up!!! http://www.unreality.dk/EzUnreal/ras.html
naturally you need to know what you are doing but it should work fine after you set it up right!!
It worked for me with unreal,....I have not tried in UT yet though..on my lan I had two people and one over the modem would join right in making it a 3 person game /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

My friend has two pci slots (old comp) and an ISA slot. The two pcis are taken by 2 voodoo IIs and the ISA is the modem. He also has an ISA network card. He is looking for an ISA network/modem in one card. But currently he has to take out his modem and put in the network card every time we play. I know how to set up a TCP network, but it's a hassle with all the restarting and such.

bullet2.gif

Ask the carney folk to get it, they're great climbers!

Status
Not open for further replies.