Preaching to the choir.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Wendy

Nov 10, 1999
Staten Island, NY
members.xoom.com
It's funny to me now, remembering how certain people used to say ID's games were so perfect. I know people have had problems with Unreal and UT (less so with UT). But these seem to be nothing compared to Q3. I got it for Xmas (wanted to see the pretty graphics).

Q3 out of the box = Steaming TURD

I was having problems, and I figure OK maybe my system is wierd. I went to the Q3world board and it was overflowing with problems. (That section was much busier than even this board) I fixed one problem (I couldn't see the menu.) But now I have a whopper: the game locks up my computer when online (every time within two minutes) How's that for good netcode? I thought it was only coming out when it was done! I found a post about this computer lockup, 83 replies! All different setups too. So in closing I only say what U all know:
UT has it all over Q3.

------------------
You walk the thin line between glory and despair, soon you shall cross over it.

HuFlungzeDung

Nov 24, 1999
Kanada
Visit site
LoL, Wendy! It's Quake3's advanced client prediction scheme: you're allowed to play online for a couple of minutes until the server gets a good sampling of how you move and how your lag is. Then, the rest of the game gets completed internally in the server, this is what you may perceive as a "lock-up". So, the entire game is played out, and you don't have the stress of controlling your character through all those mazes and rocket ambushes from nowhere, and you get the results when the game has been automatically played out: you lose! /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

deeter

Dec 8, 1999
Maryville, MO USA
Visit site
Wendy,

I hate to admit it, but you're right on the money. I've been an Id loyalist for years; took to Wolfenstein, Doom, Q1, and Q2 like like a crackhead to the pipe. I felt like the Q2 netcode was online gaming at it's best . . . so what the hell happened to Q3A?! The netcode in Arena blows big hairy chunks and I can't for the life of me figure out why.

It doesn't really matter anyway. I bought UT because it was out and it looked like it would be a while 'til Q3A came out. I figured it would tide me over . . . man was I ever wrong. I played UT every spare moment I had since I got it. I did pick up Q3A right after it came out and can honestly say I've played it 4 or 5 times and have gotten no satisfaction from any of those instances.

Maybe someone will code some good mods for Q3A and maybe 10 patches down the line, Id will resolve the choppy netcode problems and maybe someone will release some good ctf maps and maybe then Q3A will be worth playing online. Maybe then I'll play it, just to get my $50 worth out of the purchase. Until then, I'm just plain disappointed with Id and Q3A.

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
You've got it, Wendy, Q3 is a Half-Baked and sorry-@$$ attempt that shouldn't really be called a game. I've had similar problems in Q3(and tons more problems as well)and after beating Xaero, Q3 has sat collecting dust on my CD case while UT rules my system. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

I was also a hard-core id/quake fan(WHY won't those tokers make Doom3?)
and I was extremely disappointed. Whet gets me is people saying how Q3 has such great graphics. We all know slick graphics don't mean a thing if the game itself sucks.