Body Movement

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
I thought about some things:

Let the left-right axis of the mouse be fixed on turning your torso (just like in the mechwarrior-games) and with "a" & "d" turn your whole body around.

The turning-torso is fast and does not involve any foot-movement, the turning-everything would be slow and you would hear it.

When walking you could still use your mouse to turn around if the lower body automatically adjusts to the sight direction of the torso (this could even be a bit later and slower to simulate a more realistic turn-rate when in full running speed).

This is perhaps just a minor thing, but that is what really differentiates a weapon-mod from a whole new thrilling ego-shooter experience.

mute_dammit

Just mute, dammit!
Sep 11, 2001
Not all that hard to do in HL2 (easy for me to say), but yeah, not a fun way to control yer gun totin' avatar. Especially when there are extra controls for other axes being added. On top of that, constant-speed turning is about as unrealistic as instant turning. I can 180 pretty quickly. Free aim sort of addresses this problem, and yes, it helps differentiate Infiltration from all of the other new thrilling ego-shooter experiences.

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
It's actually not necessarily a bad idea, assuming you have a much more advanced aiming system that dynamically simulates skeletal structure and human movement. If you don't, it's just a silly waste of time (play Outwars some time, but don't say I didn't warn you). A much better interface would be to make it an optional function of holding down a mouse button (say, the aim button), with auto return when you let go.

Buddz

Jan 4, 2004
Oldenburg, Germany
I don't think it would be too complicated, you have the same commands you use for standard-ego-shooter; w-s-a-d and the mouse. Only the effect is different. You do away with strafing and get in turning your torso.
Turning the torso is only an idea, you could also control leaning instead of torso-turning, if thats more to your liking.
Perhaps the mechwarrior reference is causing problems; in MW you had several more things to consider (speed with 1-0, backward-forward, jumping, etc.) and I would not appreciate having the MW-Controls 1:1 converted to an ego-shooter (which would really be horribly complex).

yurch

Swinging the clue-by-four
May 21, 2001
USA, Maryland.
Visit site
It all boils down to what you want the controls to define. I see them as a method of specifying actions. To me, in order to justify a MW style control interface, it has to allow for something new that the old control 'face doesn't allow. I don't see anything too terribly useful coming from it, at first glance. Humans can turn and pivot pretty quickly, as opposed to those 40 ton bots. For prone movements, maybe. Shooting with a twisted torso is not a comfortable enough position to be worth specifically maintaining with most stances, and it's not too often the auto-control of such movements are going to be undesireable.

Mucking up the control for the express purpose of making things more difficult is pretty bad form. The immediate problem I see is that the player now has to constantly keep track of what direction his feet are pointed at, something that won't be readily apparent - especially at the speed they can rotate.

gal-z

May 20, 2003
Ramat-Hasharon, Israel
Visit site
I prefer keeping the strafing. If I want to shoot at 45deg to the side I will move forward+strafe. If I want 90deg I'll strafe. It's much more natural to control. Having turret-like controls is way too clumsy IMO (was pretty clumsy in battlezone 2 but at least that's with tanks - they're supposed to be clumsy).