[UT2004] The return of the Sniper Rifle

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Epic have bought the Sniper Rifle back to UT2004?

• Yes

Votes: 39 52.7%
  • No

Votes: 28 37.8%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 7 9.5%

• Total voters

Pope

Jan 21, 2000
Visit site
Aiming in UT2k3 is ridiculously easy when compared to UT99. In UT99 you couldn't hit squat with the sniper rifle, now if you're not carrying the LG you've got a serious disadvantage against anyone.

Yeah, if the SR was brought in and you could hit something as easily as you hit anything with any weapon in UT2k3 then it would be a joke, I agree. Everyone knows that weapon balance _isn't_ ut2k3's problem - whole lot of room for improvement elsewhere. :)

m&ms

Melts in your mouth, not in your hand.
Jul 13, 2003
in a bag....duh
Visit site
i think they should bring back the sniper rifle, just make it more like a hunting rifle.....a bolt action with 5 round capacity
pump off the five shots in about 4 seconds, but then take a good 5 seconds to reload the five rounds....thatd make it stick to its role as a sniper rifle because it wouldn't be practical close range :)
with this setup, i wouldn't see the need to put a trail behind the bullets....just a flash out of the end of the barrel

btw chainsaw monkey, what the heck kind of sniper rifle is that? ME WANT

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
ChainsawMonkey said:
Nothing wrong with a sniper rifle, in moderation :)
I want that mod. NOW!

Old sniper rifle = win.

Perhaps they will remove all the rubbish juggs, egyptians, and alien guys and replace them with nali cows, nali, and completely remodelled UT1 characters. And maybe we can have the player scale back to normal along with the music, and all the original ut maps remade for ut2003.

Doc_EDo

LEFT
Jan 10, 2002
They should change everything so when someone complains I can tell them something like they said to me: "Weapons are fine as they are. If you dont like ut2004 play ut2003". :lol:

Sekhmet

the Destroyer
Oct 16, 2001
Memphis, Egypt
www.carpeimperium.com
UT1's sniper is off too at certain angles though.

And the UT sniper fits in the game because the other weapons are so powerful too, which creates a balance. Minigun and pulse can take down a sniper very quickly for example, as can the other weapons. Good snipers hardly spam the gun by holding the button anyway..

Anyway, I've never had trouble with the LtG being off the crosshair :). Maybe it's just you, I use the dot, maybe try that..

Last edited:

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I'm assuming that they'll reduce the rate of fire for the UT2004 SR, and we already know it's a mutator. So, what's the big deal?

I rarely use the LG scope, but there's nothing good about it. Limited vision, scan lines, reflects light far too much.

If the other gametypes need a scoped gun, the LG isn't a good weapon for it.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
Why does alot of poeple think the sniper rifle will automatic be the same from UT? All the "spam" weapons had their spamness removed from UT2k3 and I don't how the UT sniper rifle was spammy, only the rate of fire was a bit high. IMO the lightning gun is too slow, almost two seconds between firing (1.8 to be exact), I like the rate of fire in the classic mutator better. What will be the different between the lightning gun and sniper rifle? I'm not sure, but it sounds like it will be a mutator.

Then again, the sinper rifle does seem kind of outdated compaired to the other weapons, if it was made a little bit more high-tech (unless you count the lightning gun).

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
UT Sniper? Ew....

If they are going to "bring back" anything, it should be the U1 SR. That was a cool looking gun.

The UT Sniper rifle was spammy, and that game had balance at a 110+ ping. Anything sub 100ms, and the balance went out the window, along with the projectile weapons. Hitscan then became king, queen, and jack.

As a muty, sure, whatever. As long as it's not "standard", then I'm fine with it. Be really cool if with it on, it gave a client side option of that or the LTG. I'd take the LTG for personal reasons, but I doubt they'll "port" the weapon exactly, even in muty form.

Gonna stick with my "I'll trust Epic" stance.

Morba

PotNoodler :x
Feb 5, 2002
On A Cider Farm :E~
Visit site
the old sniper rifle was a joke.

all lpbs would do is hold down fire and spam (yes spam, that is when you dont take finger off fire...) like mad.
it was a mental melee weapon and a joke in the wrong hands.
Its pretty much like the new shock primary, the rate of fire is a joke imo. should be slowed down :/

sharpfish

never really gone away
Apr 10, 2002
U.K
www.realityfakers.com
well I detest the LG but that just an opinion, I love sniper rifles in any game and 2k3 lost more than it gained by removing it. The LG is fine in theory but when I use (and I understand it takes a good user) it just feels like playing insta-gib on a high lag server thanks to the built in delay - I HATE unresponsive games and this `feeling` is created on purpose... a high speed battling game such as this should not have slowly recharging guns. IT should be INSTANT and maybe reduced in power, keep the lightning effect etc.. its just the delay that drives me up the wall (similar to a wall jump) ;)

Sharpfish

Raffi_B

Administrator
Oct 27, 2002
USA
Heres what I think:
NO, I dont want the UT99 sniper rifle
YES, I want a sniper rifle (not lightning gun)
The ut99 sniper rifle was sick... the refire rate made it more of a .... gun with a high refire rate than a sniper. although i disapprove of using clips and reloading, I would like to see something that makes it have little use close range.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
DeRailer said:
Double Assault Rifle > Double enforcers :lol:

Dunno if you can have double Assault Rifles. Anyone know if it's possible?
I know for sure that I never been able to pick one up.