Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Don't forget the Nitron nerf!

In my opinion they seem too weak now, especially for chasing. Then again, the amount of speed that a single nitron gave you before was maybe a little high. I could reach 220km/h with just two nitrons, lightweight and a little slope. When I started using thrust pack and rage, it became insane.

Now it's hard to even reach 200 I feel, and that is rarely enough to catch anybody.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
You can reach 200 without using Nitrons or perks, just by using the thrust pack. You can't get over around 240 without however - but I find you'll seldom catch up with someone going that fast from a standing start either.

Edit: Been looking at the ranks since it's taking ages to get through gold, the curve is really wierd:

It takes approximately:
6000XP to get to 5
40,000XP to get to 10 (silver)
230,000XP to get to 20
420,000 to get to 25 (gold)
685,000 to get to 30
995,000 to get to 35 (platinum)
1,350,000 to get to 40
1,770,000 to get to 45 (obsidian)
2,250,000 to get to 50

Silver -> Gold takes 11 times longer than Bronze -> Silver.
Gold -> Platinum takes 2.5 times longer than Silver-> Gold.
Platinum->Obsidian takes 1.8 times longer than Gold -> Platinum.
Obsidian -> 50 takes 1.3 times longer than Platinum -> Obsidian.

The sharpest increase in the amount of XP required to get to the next level is actually between levels 23 (32,000) and 24 (37,000), where this is an increase of 15%. 49 (2,150,000) and 50 (2,250,000) is only an increase of 4.5%. You need to literally earn the same amount of XP again to get from 25 to 35 (100% increase), but only half as much again to get from 35 to 45 (50% increase).

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
You can reach 200 without using Nitrons or perks, just by using the thrust pack. You can't get over around 240 without however - but I find you'll seldom catch up with someone going that fast from a standing start either.

Back to front is going to be hard, but front to back is usually easy.

Last edited:

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Returns on thrust sharply diminish at 150. Two nitrons, with a thrust hardly gets you to 200 anymore.

It forces you to use lightweight, with which a decent initial drop, one thrust, and one LSF will get you well beyond 200, of course, without regen.

I don't mind the impulse increase, but I feel because of their "conc" nature, they should still give as much impluse (just not more any more) as the SF/thump weapon. Especially considering how needed lightweight is now, since everyone is faster basically from these changes. Also the timer on lightweight needs to be double, not triple for regen, 30s is eons in this game. Especially when your chasing objectives with 8 different potentially auto wielding classes to put a bullet in you.

Currently chasing with lightweight safefall.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Are you guys suggesting soldier is a better capper at this time?

Also, what are your thoughts on both Light / Medium twinfusers?
From what I saw, it is a little improvement for chasing as a pathfinder, or taking down aggressive Shrikes.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
It's easier to land shots because of the hitbox increase, and overall damage on the split twinfusor clip, is a bit more than a single spinfusor disc, with similar reload. If you land both shots, you do more damage, but you have to land both shots.

I've only really put any time into the LTF.

Where the twinfusor suffers, is in lining up shots. If you go for a MA, you aren't firing at fastest RoF. If you aren't basically "dumping the clip" you aren't maximizing DPS. Obviously, regular spinfusors suffer from this too, but I feel it's worse with the twinfusors. Since the first round pushes the target, you have to wait until it resolves to line up the next shot, which diminishes your DPS. This time is spend reloading with regular spinfusors.

Even landing 4 ma's in a row on a heavy, I feel like I'm doing less over all DPS. It's very frustrating to be able to land 4 non-lethal MA's in a row.

They are great for stand clearing, especially against awesome HoFs like me, who spread their mines out. I seemed to get more flag grab kills with it, than I ever did with the SSF.

Flag running with it took some adjusting. You actually can doubletap your disc jumps, and get more out of them than a regular SSF disc jump, so it's not too tough. Otherwise, you just have to disc jump twice as often. That said, I figured that out fast, where as I still feel I need to learn how to duel with it. I think the DSF will remain a superior dueling weapon.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Yeah I figured the "punch" effect would make the weapon a -little- useless. The Duel Spinfuser is 880 on direct hit, which is pretty damn hard to beat on the light TF.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The DSF is the better anti-player weapon, but the Twinfusor is vastly superior when it comes to clearing the stand. I'm using the LAR a lot now, since you can give heavies a hard time with it and it's a great defence weapon when returning from a borked flag cap,

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
So many VGS kids past gold it nearly hurts my feelings.

Is there a limit of players you can mute? They need to add a mute button from the UI.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
You're on the "World of Warcraft" I-must-play-this-game-because-I-monthly-paid-for-it addiction. :)

Main reason why I never go with monthly gaming content/feature/access anymore.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Pretty much. Only have one more twinfusor to finish leveling, and have come to the conclusion they are inferior in every way. Even the heavy one inside sucks. The only thing I can think to do now, to get any descent DPS out of them, is to literally hold fire, and get good at predicting how the first will hit, and adjust the second ahead of time. I couldn't beat a terrible LMG JUG 1v1, and was having serious trouble with some mediocre heavies indoors, the likes of which I usually trounce in droves.

I bought upgrades for the falcon so I didn't have to grind it, which is the last weapon I needed to own. Two more days of leveling this twinfusor, and I should have everything mastered (until the next content pack of course) but with 20 days left on my boost, I should have a savings ready for whatever, minus the 94k I'll probably spend in all the new loadout slots :S

This game would be terrible for a new player to grind out all the stuff.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The Light Twinfusor isn't great for combat unless you're expecting to land both shots, but it's the better weapon elsewhere; it clears the stand twice as effectively and does more damage to base assets (1370 vs 1056 DSF) and vehicles (1370 tank /1854 shrike vs 1056 tank / 1056 shrike DSF). Wouldn't really use either of the other two much though.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Even those two niches are against non-mobile targets which really exemplify the problem: Lining up shots on moving targets with a "grace" weapon is the real challenge, and by doubling that challenge and splitting the damage, you do more harm than good.

The HTF, Throw discs, and Quickdraw make for easy turret destruction, but again, extremely handicap his dueling capabilities.

As little as I frag with my capping loadout, I could see going LTF with my VAF PTH, but any other loadout, no. Clear the stand, use it as a GTFAway from me weapon, but that's about it. If they actually gave you proper FlagDefender accolade while holding the flag, then I'd quickly drop it for a DSF.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
AEnubis, you mentioned getting Falcon upgrades. I'm currently wondering if I should get the weapon. I'm using the default Nova Blaster, and I'm alright with the 350 DMG. It's a little tricky to land some shots on people, but it definitively gives me a fighting chance on heavies.

The Falcon is mostly good against lighter classes I'm assuming? The hit Ratio must be definitively higher than the default Nova. But what about the DPS?

I thought about going with the Nova MX version, but my experience with pistol variants have been terrible so far to say the least *cough*Arctic SN7*cough*

So $7.49 unlocks just about everything for Raider: http://store.steampowered.com/app/17096?snr=1_41_4__42
Special price ends in a week

Lol that's why there's suddenly so many raider skins and Plasma/NJ around... I still best them everytime indoor with soldier Thumper/Spinfuser combo. The problem is dealing with one outdoors that's using NJ, 2 projectile weapons against one SMG. Not too good.

Pretty much. Only have one more twinfusor to finish leveling, and have come to the conclusion they are inferior in every way.

I'm mostly playing Sentinel lately, this Jugg comes right at me and unloads 2 Twinfuser on me, I don't know if they were direct hits or not, but I had easily 1/3 of my HP left.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
Yeah, better vs lighter classes. It's also no slouch vs heavier classes like every other auto, which is the problem. It's a straight upgrade, that drastically reduced TTK for the SEN in CQC, and forces anyone to kill him very quickly.