so i got Xbox live now...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My biggest complaint with XBox Live is that downloadable content should be FREE (like the UC patch) and less than 1% of all servers were LIVE servers and not community servers. IMO, the only reason to HAVE Live is for fast servers (which there aren't) and the buddy list.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
It's free...as long as you paid for Live :p IMO it should be free and SEPERATE from Live. Right now, they are using d/l'able content to attract new customers that won't use the service for anything else.

Duffman!

May 29, 2004
Ill add ya.

My tag is DUFFKING

My games:

C-S, UC, SC:pT, RTCW, Ninja Gaiden, Rainbow 6, Ghost Recon, XII, Project Gotham Racing 2

MeStinkBAD

Lurking where you least suspect...
Dec 26, 2000
Tucson, Arizona
You know whatg I've been doing for the past 14 hours? Working on my PC trying to a "fresh" Windows install without loosing any data. It's been two years since I last installed Windows... and it finally gave out. Why, because Windows is sh*t.

And I can't beleive you honestly think six bucks a month is a ton of cash. If I were chraging someone $50 an hour for the work I've done on my PC, I'd be up $700. And I probably am halfway done. Right this moment Windows is installing itself, but not to the correct drive. Makes me want to scream.

Xbox live isn't anywhere near perfect, but it's evolving. Things like clan support and the like will be added. And not everything works with PC games. The stats server, for example, has been down for months and now appears to be partly up. Why such a long wait? Well because unlike most "PC" net games, the stats server is run by Atari (or a sub contractor). Most gaming servers are hosted by gamers. Many exploit fixes are fixed by people who play the game.

Peregrine

Death from above
Jan 16, 2001
Lake Erie Shoreline
www.gaihope.net
Most gaming servers are hosted on dedicated servers.

$6/month ISN'T a lot of money, no, but every little bit adds up. $40-$50 for braodband every month + $6-8/month for Xbhox Live, another $12 for HBO, my cable/internet bill is already $109? And what do I get for my $6?
Not enough, imo.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I agree. I won't pay for play for the MMORPGs for exactly the same reason. It's not alot of money, but there's just not enough incentive to pay it.

UncleThursday

teh suxx0r
Sep 6, 2004
Hell, AKA New Jersey
www.gamesarefun.com
Clayeth said:
That's too bad, because as soon as they start losing money on it they'll have to restructure it and drop the fee, then it would be free for everyone and it would have about 5x as many users. Not only that, but there would also be the possibility that multi-platform titles could be compatible with one another, so people with Madden for the PS2 could play against people with Madden on the Xbox.

What do you mean as soon as it "starts" losing money? XBL has been losing money since day 1, as has the Xbox (to the tune of hundreds of millions of dollars per quarter in losses).

In fact, Microsoft only makes money on two divisions: Office and Windows. EVERYTHING else they lose money on, except MSN made a profit for one whole quarter then again went into the money pit.

Microsoft is content to charge people money for XBL as long as no other service comes out that's free to make people wise up. Imagine how few people would stay with Xbox Live if Sony or Nintendo (or both) decided to give the same services as XBL, but make them free? Only the most die hard Xbox fanboy would stay with XBL then. If Sony or Nintendo (or both) do this, THEN you'll see Microisoft have to cave in on charging people to play online.