SHOULD WE KEEP THE LIGHTNING GUN?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Should Lightning Gun Stay?

• YES!!!

Votes: 126 71.2%
  • NO!

Votes: 51 28.8%

• Total voters

Xans_bodyguard

Xan's Personal Bodyguard
Feb 10, 2006
Minnesota.
LG....or SR.... I'd like to keep em both, but the sniper rifles my fav. the only problem i have with it in 2k4 is the smoke that gets in the way of your vision. the lightning gun has to charge up a few extra seconds, leaving you open to a lucky shot from a bot. I do like the lightning gun though. i'd like them both in 2k7.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
-AEnubis- said:
"F" them both, give us something new.
They tried that once, the community sh*t all over it and basically wanted more of the same, so we got it.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
When did they try that? I think you're refering to something in a slightly different context...

...and why should there have to be something definate? It is the same group of guys that concieved your beloved LtG. Suddenly we don't trust their creative output?

I just have faith, that if they don't do cSR or LtG it will be something cool.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
Well I remember VERY WELL all the BITCHING that went on in 2k3 about the LG when it replaced the orginal SR, and now we are all crying when they take it away, MUYDM is on the face of all epic staff at the moment for sure

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
HardcorexxX said:
Well I remember VERY WELL all the BITCHING that went on in 2k3 about the LG when it replaced the orginal SR, and now we are all crying when they take it away, MUYDM is on the face of all epic staff at the moment for sure

Sure everyone bitched when the UT99 sniper was taken away - I can't see ANYBODY crying about losing the POS UT2k4 sniper though...

Hazel.H

Jan 15, 2004
Yes, because it reveals the location of the sniper. However I think it depends on the map and the weapon placement - maybe you could have both as an option for mappers like in 2k4.

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
What about a gun that's damage deteriates over distance

Keep the LG just make it scale from 120 HS 70 Close range 55 Long range??

Or something like it

MonsOlympus

May 27, 2004
Didnt one of the interviews say the necris loose the rocket launcher over the grapple and hoverboards. hmm! Maybe this is only refering to a fortress style gamemode.

I dunno guys the way I see it a game shouldnt be about balancing the weapons as it doesnt matter how balanced you make it there are people who can only play a certain style. Im kinda an all rounder okay at all classes but a master of none, which is perfect for dm but different gamemodes require different strategies.

I like the lightning gun, I like the sniper, put them in one big map, take them both out, dont put them in small maps. Making them a projectile weapons is a good option to remove the problem with unfair camping. I like a bit of camping but when someone stays in a position for more than 5 mins its kinda unfair, Ive seen people play bf2 and they'll sit ontop of a hill most of the time and just play one handed. They may see this as fun, I really dont see the point maybe if your no good at other classes then this is the way to go but still a game should be about fairplay above all.

Gamemode is the biggest issue here I think, snipers are less effective in dm matches with more than 2 players because a player gets gunned down infront of you, you more than likely know where the shot came from. Snipers make a great contribution to team games but its too noob friendly, there needs to be more level of skill involved with snipers as its soo thin atm. Like wind, traversing large distances, breathing, leading etc there is alot of depth to that class that just gets over looked there is a reason why all infantry arnt snipers hey.

Now I could go on alot more here but I'll leave it at that, as long as a team doesnt get sniper rifles and grappling hooks Im happy. I trust epic to bring us a good game ;)

P.S - One last thing I forgot to mention, sound radius.... Sniper rifles would be very loud I imagine.

Last edited:

HardcorexxX

(.)(.)
Jan 31, 2006
The real reason to keep the LG is b/c of the nice tiwching the corpses make after you kill someone with it :2thumb:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Predcaliber said:
When the lightning gun was introduced in UT2k3, it was one of those many reasons to play the original UT again, Sniper rifle return, and LG out and neeeever return ;)
Cuz we all love lame overpowered too fast reloading guns instead of more balanced and fair weapons...

JohnDoe641

Killer Fools Pro
Staff member
Nov 8, 2000
N.J.
www.zombo.com
Well he did use a winky smiley brizz. He may be, and I hope he is, kidding.

Anyone who prefered the spamtastic sniper from 99 over the slower but more rewarding ltg needs to work on thier hitscan. They'd probably appreciate it more if they were able to hit anything.

BeMyMonkey

Village Idiot
Apr 16, 2004
canadiansushi.surf.to
Sir_Brizz said:
Cuz we all love lame overpowered too fast reloading guns instead of more balanced and fair weapons...

JohnDoe641 said:
Well he did use a winky smiley brizz. He may be, and I hope he is, kidding.

Anyone who prefered the spamtastic sniper from 99 over the slower but more rewarding ltg needs to work on thier hitscan. They'd probably appreciate it more if they were able to hit anything.

Heeeeeey, I actually looooooved the sniper rifle from UT99... I really like the lightning gun too, but there was just something about the old sniper - you could take on a guy with a flak cannon face to face at close range with that thing - far harder to do in ut2k4 if the other guy has any skill at all... The thing you have to remember is that in UT99 ALL the weapons were ridiculously overpowered, not just the sniper rifle...

-=AG=-

Apr 3, 2005
LG rules, and everyone knows it :), can you get a multi kill with one SR shot? Dont think so..hahahahha

I emailed Mark a few days ago about the changes they made, and the mutators they took off. Hes sent it to the systems programmers. But I dought it's going to change the outcome. If they take this off IM GOING ALL THE WAY BACK TO MY OLD UT2K3, with fast weapon switching, boosting, (proper boosting), not gay 2k4 boosting :) WITH INVASION :) AND LOW GRAV :p

Hell, I dont even play ut2k4 these days much anyways, so it wont hurt to go back to the one and only. UT2K3..who needs cars and plans and mantas and **** eh :)

Maxx

Bite Me
Dec 19, 2003
JaFO said:
That's the #1 reason for wanting to eliminate the sniperrifle-class of weapons ... if you won't use it for sniping at all then what reason is there to keep it ?
All 'you' really seem to want is an insta-gib rifle ...
No, InstaGib is "one shot one kill" wherever you hit your opponent, with the LG you must be good enough to hit the head that make things more challengeing.
As mentioned above I like to have some CTF-flags with good positions for snipping, it just adds some tactical flare.
There is truly a long range rifle needed for the "UT-Feeling" and tactics but it shouldn`t be so strong as classic UT`s SR, the visible lightning and longer reloading phase robs a little bit of the advantages of a sniper.