AMD Athlon or Intel Pentium

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WildWing

Sep 16, 2001
New York City
Visit site
I'm hearing all this good stuff about AMD newest sysytems will have dual processor support and will be much better than any Intel Pentium class systems... And that Intel won't be making any dual preocessor support systems because the "RAM bus" type of RAM the "Intel P4 montherboard" uses will equate for a dual processor? I'd just like to know what you guys say about this, where do your loyalties lie, who's band waggon are you jumping off of or staying on and why?

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
The dual AMD solution is rock stable, and uber fast.

The single AMD solution is rock stable, and uber fast, tho not as uber fast as the dual setup.
The p4 solution is slow and ****ty, unless you get the newest "northwood" procs, with RAMBUS.

Then it competes with AMD's performance. Clock for clock, the Athlon is simply faster.

Hourences

Aug 29, 2000
Belgium/Holland/Sweden
www.Hourences.com
got a brand new cpu now, amd xp 1800+, runs good, i like it, i bought it cause it was much cheaper then the equal fast p4 2.0-2.2 ghz, and this cou is a tiny bit faster then the p4 so amd for me, only bad thing imo is that it gets a bit hot, 55 degree celcius idle here :\ but thats normal for an amd

SludgeX

Jul 9, 2001
Chicagoland, IL
Visit site
This thread is gonna be trouble...:hmm:

My suggestion is, do as much research as possible on the subject and decide for yourself which processor(s) will best suit your needs. Both companies make excellent dual CPU systems, and you can't go wrong using either brand.

&

"Sp!ke"

AMD Sux, Intel Rox.

Serious answer: Intels are a LOT more stable, faster, WAY more OC able(you can clock a 2,2 up to 3,7..), but it comes at a price...
AMD: For people who think that they are 1337 h/-\x0rz...or for people who like cheap, slow(compared to Intel), amazingly unstable at times, heat generating chips....their Duron range is vastly superior to the Intel Celereon range, that i must admit...

Euphoric Beaver

impeccably groomed
Apr 19, 2001
Great Britain
www.euphoric-beaver.me.uk
I've heard alot about the AMD raping the Pentium but the tests I've seen don't really confirm this. The results really aren't that big. If your buying it by itself then you should proberly buy the AMD, though watch the temp. But if your getting the full new juicey PC works then either is fine.

&

"Sp!ke"

"Well, any credibility this thread might of had has now officially been shot to pieces."

Credibility? Didnt you see that last LOOONG thread on the AMd vs Intel debate? Me said Intel better AND PROVED IT WITH MANY MANY FUCKING BENCHMARKS! Just none of you people were able too accept it and got it closed....:rolleyes:
The only valid argument the AMD crowd managed to make was: "If we underclock the P4 down too AMDs level then the Amd would be better" ....:rolleyes:

Ciced: In the last thread you seemed to be offended because I called you something based on you being an AOL user and it seemd that you took it seriously, I didnt get time to apologize in that thread before is got closed, it was just a joke... ;) sorry

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
/me laughs hysterically at Sp!ke.

Ok, seriously now Spi!ke.....PUT THE BONG AWAY!

Originally posted by "Sp!ke"
AMD Sux, Intel Rox.

Serious answer: Intels are a LOT more stable, faster, WAY more OC able(you can clock a 2,2 up to 3,7..), but it comes at a price...
AMD: For people who think that they are 1337 h/-\x0rz...or for people who like cheap, slow(compared to Intel), amazingly unstable at times, heat generating chips....their Duron range is vastly superior to the Intel Celereon range, that i must admit...

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I believe my Texas Instruments ti-83+ calculator uses a pentium 4 and it's a slow processor trust me, the screen blurs when there is motion and does not respond too fast when doing complex mathematical operations, or drawing graphs.

Give it up Intelboys. The benchmarks all over the net prove AMD's XP processors are just as fast and even faster than the Pentium 4's that have a faster clock speed. That's because AMD is built more efficient and they don't need an insane clock speed to get performance. Yeah that's right bish. What now.

&

"Sp!ke"

IMG0004006

Is this the test youre talking about? guess not since it crushes the Athlon....

Loibisch

The Odd Member
Jan 3, 2000
Germany
www.carpeimperium.com
lol spike, Q3A is about the only test that the intel is better in.

Let me link some:
image005.gif

This is the Q3A test...as yo ucan easily see the P4 2,2GHz outperforms the AMD Athlon XP 2000+...which is actually running at 1666MHz, that's over half a gigahertz lower than the Intel.
Still it manages to be faster than the P4 2GHz.

Now the same test at 1024x768
image006.gif

The difference is negligible (sp?). The Athlon 2000+ is now much closer to the Intel 2,2GHz (which is - I want to stress it again - 533MHz faster than the AMD chip). And it leaves the 2GHz Intel behind. The difference is under 5%...for the best "bang per buck" you can definitely go with an AMD.

Q3A is Intels strong point...now for the rest.
image007.gif

Athlon 2000+ (1,66GHz) outperforms Intel 2,2GHz...straight.

Same test at DX8 and 32bit...http://www6.tomshardware.com/cpu/02q1/020107/images/image008.gif
Difference is about 1%...not even worth mentioning...

More tests available here at Tom's Hardware

The P4 might be faster...but it's too little (if at all) to justify the hefty price tag you pay for CPU, RAM and MoBo.

Last edited:

Lynxx

Jul 2, 2000
Visit site
even an idiot like me knows that quake isn't *all* about the cpu alone. can U please get many many more benchmarks to compare? thanks. :)

/edit
it took me a few minutes to read the string. thanks for the info.

/edit2
so sorry, Loibisch, I was talking to Sp!ke. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
&

"Sp!ke"

memory.gif

Faster at memory...

sysmark.gif

Faster at sysmark...

3dmark.gif

AT GAMES TOO!!?!?!? WHAT A SUPRISE!!:rolleyes:

Now who would have thought, the P4 is proven to outperform the XPs in almost every benchmark avaliable!!

Btw. does anyone actually see the images, I dont think Gamespot allows you too link their pics...Link: http://gamespot.com/gshw/stories/flat/0,12880,2837299-3,00.html

And the OC possiblities are very good too, thanks to the 0,13micron thinghy

ZenPirate

Living Legend (and moderator)
Nov 21, 2000
New York
There are reviews of both products that gie cinflicting results,so debating is pointless.Personally,cost is my number one factor.How much does that 2.0 pentium 4 setup cost,with RAM compared to the fastest AMD system? Prolly about double,and considering it'll be obsolete in six months anyway,why spend all that money?By the way,I still feel AMD's are better performers than P4's.

Fomhoire

Internet Addict
Dec 24, 2000
Sacramento, CA
Visit site
Spike, those memory bandwidth comparisons are of the i850 and the KT266A chipsets, not the processors.

Aside from that...the Athlons still outperform the P4's

Originally posted by "Sp!ke"
memory.gif

Faster at memory...

sysmark.gif

Faster at sysmark...

3dmark.gif

AT GAMES TOO!!?!?!? WHAT A SUPRISE!!:rolleyes:

Now who would have thought, the P4 is proven to outperform the XPs in almost every benchmark avaliable!!

Btw. does anyone actually see the images, I dont think Gamespot allows you too link their pics...Link: http://gamespot.com/gshw/stories/flat/0,12880,2837299-3,00.html

And the OC possiblities are very good too, thanks to the 0,13micron thinghy