Help: Sound Card suggestion.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
My SB Live VALUE (yes, i know its leet). Is starting to die. When i play MP3's at skips and ****. Not my HDD's, and not my CPU. **** i was playing INF and blarring music before fine.

So should I get a

SB Live 5.1
Guillemot Hercules GameSurround Fortissimo III 7.1
VOYETRA TURTLE BEACH SANTA CRUZ

im trying not to spend over 40-50 dolla. Im poor and don't need anything fancy for my 2 speakers. IM leaning towards the Guillemot.

edit: might, no never mind its not winamp... its doing it in WMP too!

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
I was going to recommend the FIII. I had a TBSC, but I decided to try something new, and so far, I think my FIII is way better.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I have the SB Audigy Gamer.

It was working beautifully until one day it decided not to like the driver that it had been using perfectly for about a year...I guess it got bored with it. I had to revert back to the previous driver to get things working again. If it does it again I'll try buying it flowers and chocolates.

Feb 26, 2001
England
If the sound is skipping its not a problem with the sound card. If it is cutting out it might be though. It might well be a software / driver problem. But it might be an idea to replace that old card anyway if you have the cash lying around.

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
I haven't used Creative cards since I had a SB 128 PCI. My current card is a Hercules GTXP and it works fine, thank you. If I buy a new cheap sound card for my spare PC soon I'll buy one of the Guillemot/Hercules cards. Probably the Gamesurround Muse LT. Seen it for 18.80 €.

CrappyChan

Come on snow!
Mar 3, 2001
yah thats what im sayin, it the drivers or the card. I mean the damn thing has to be re-installed every so often beacuse it will just stop working...

RogueLeader

Tama-chan says, "aurf aurf aurf!"
Oct 19, 2000
Indiana. Kill me please.
I'd of recommended the Santa Cruz but I hear the Guillemot is very good too. They are as good as any Creative Labs card. And you can get one OEM from NewEgg very cheap.

Definitely do NOT get anything from Creative Labs ever, especially the Audigy or Audigy 2. I have an OEM Audigy and it is a ROYAL BITCH to install drivers. Even when they are installed it sometimes ****s up and you have to install them again. Once after installing drivers I had to reinstall Windows because it blue screened on boot. Furthermore, Creative Labs bars you from installing drivers from anything but the CD. All of their driver releases are only updates. You cannot use them unless you installed drivers from the original CD.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
RogueLeader said:
Furthermore, Creative Labs bars you from installing drivers from anything but the CD. All of their driver releases are only updates. You cannot use them unless you installed drivers from the original CD.

Are your sure? Because when my Audigy's driver decided to go on strike, I removed it, and installed the last driver that I downloaded from the creative website, i.e. I didn't have to get out the cd.

Maybe I just don't understand what you are saying.

TheShiningWizard

Jun 26, 2000
I've been using the FIII for a few days now, and I love it. My Klipsch PM5.1s sound better than ever before. The bass sounds cleaner, and the individual speaker volume adjustments have really come in handy, for those times when I use my computer from a recliner that shifts me to the left of my desk. Also, this card seems to put out much more volume (for lack of a technical term) in comparison to my old TBSC. No number of driver updates or reinstallations would get my TBSC to really crank up. When I put in the FIII, I had the master volume on the lowest notch, and it was as loud as my TBSC on the 7th notch.

I haven't played any games with it yet, though (I haven't been gaming much, lately). From what I've read, it's a great card for gaming (though not as good as a functioning Audigy2) but I can't say, for myself.

TheShiningWizard

Jun 26, 2000
Think of the upgrades as "patches" for the drivers that come on the CD, as opposed to standalone drivers.

Philophobos

May 11, 2001
Visit site
RogueLeader said:
You removed the update and intalled another update. You can't install the updates without first having installed from the CD.

Yeesh. Thanks for the heads up. I hope I don't have to format and reinstall anytime soon, because I'll be damned if I know where my driver CD is.