UE3 - UT3 Add custom NormalMap to Material

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Hi all

I have a problem when I try to add a normalmap: if I add a custom normalmap (made with Crazybump, see screenshot1) to my package, it cannot be cooked (editor crash) :confused:

With Crazybump, I open my image, convert to normalmap, export to BMP and TGA, import to UPK package and put into the material (see screenshot3). When importing (I've tryed both BMP and TGA) I've tryed with the predeterminated options and with this (see screenshot2):
- CompressionNoAlpha
- TC_NormalMap
- DeferCompression (the editor deactivates this option when I save the package)

At this point, the editor works and the in-game test works well. The problem comes here, when I try to cook the map: UT3 crash (see screenshot4)

What I'm doing bad?? :(
Why UT3 doesn't want to cook my NormalMaps?? :mad:

Please help :rolleyes:

Attachments

• screenshot1.jpg
    screenshot1.jpg
    120.7 KB · Views: 15
  • screenshot2.jpg
    screenshot2.jpg
    227.8 KB · Views: 11
  • screenshot3.jpg
    screenshot3.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 11
  • screenshot4.jpg
    screenshot4.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:

aipash

Jul 16, 2009
have you tried building on any other computer? could just be your computer not handling this well. Question tho, could you not just use a bump map for this? The normal just seems like extra work.

try cooking with the log window open. maybe it says something there.
The log files and log window don't reveal nothing special. The cooking utility simply crash :confused:

----------------------------------

OK, I'm trying a new thing.
I've noticed that the problem is on the editor's cache and this file:
My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\GlobalPersistentCookerData.upk

If I delete all this files, the editor still crashing with all the normalmaps added to the package, BUT if I add only one normalmap (the same as the first post) with this files deleted now it works!

Now I'm going to add one by one all the normalmaps, by cooking every time.
I will tell you how it works :D

Cr4zyB4st4rd

I make awesome ©
Aug 8, 2008
P'Boro, UK
Wrong file to delete.

Go to
Code:
My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC

And delete the 4 LocalShaderCache upk files 3 being -PC and one possibly being -PS3 in the file name. If you haven't cooked for PS3 there may only be three files.

Remove those and re-cook.

Wrong file to delete.

Go to
Code:
My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC

And delete the 4 LocalShaderCache upk files 3 being -PC and one possibly being -PS3 in the file name. If you haven't cooked for PS3 there may only be three files.

Remove those and re-cook.
No, i have already try it. That files aren't the problem.

--------------------------

Now is fixed
As I supposed, the problem was on the file:
My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\GlobalPersistentCookerData.upk

I've deleted that file and added one by one with recooking every time all the mapfiles. At 3th of 4th the editor crash again, then I delete again that file and I contiune adding. Now all the Normalmaps are on package and the Editor cooks the map without any problem.
Why this? Don't know, but it's solved by this way :D

Thanks for your help :rolleyes:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
yeah I had this problem too, sometimes it work and sometimes it didn't, so my solution was to embed to my map file.