No Keyboard/Mouse = Bad Gameplay?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

icest0rm

Ready for a cold one?
Feb 16, 2001
Antarctica
www.frostcloud.com
I come from the school of FPS gamers who use the keyboard and mouse to control the player. I'm still getting used to controlling Halo with the Xbox control pad. Halo is fun, but with a keyboard/mouse it would rock. Now, I greatly fear that a great game like Unreal Championship will suck if I can't at least use a mouse. I mean, getting fragged just because I can't aim or move fast enough will suck so bad. Anybody have the same fears or is it just me?

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
keyboard and mouse is the best control method for FPS gaming IMHO
don't know if there's a keyboard and mouse available or coming soon for the x-box, i'd expect there will ne

Syri

Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
hmm, i can't believe ms would leave out a mouse and keyboard, when everything else about it is soooooo pc!
besides, the ps2 has keyboard and mouse, so ms would be shooting themselves in the foot by not having them

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
Originally posted by [RSU]D-Stroya
hmm, i can't believe ms would leave out a mouse and keyboard, when everything else about it is soooooo pc!
besides, the ps2 has keyboard and mouse, so ms would be shooting themselves in the foot by not having them

the guys behind the xbox stated that they wont be making any mice or keyboards because they want the system to be a console and not a computer. UC is being designed as a console game made to be played with a pad. Its being balanced for joypad play.

Syri

Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
ok, so ms really do like shooting their own feet!
either that, or they'll come up with some weird custom controller that is some kind of odd joypad and trackball merger, and sell it for £50

eRacer

Driving for a Living
Nov 26, 2001
MN
Visit site
Well, the control did work pretty well for Halo. I'd say with the improvements that Pancho talked about in the dev journal (before they took it down :mad::() it will be very playable.

The only thing I don't like about the controls in Halo is when you're in the middle of a cluster F of a shootout and want to spin 180 degrees and shoot behind you, it just takes too long. Pancho already said there will be more than one turning speed depending on how the player moves the analog stick.

I do know I hate trying to be steady with the left control stick while pulling the left trigger is hard, nothing like aiming with a mouse.

Syri

Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
no matter what tweaks anyone makes to a game, you can't beat the instant reflex aim offered with a mouse. not to mention looking up and down

[IsP]KaRnAgE

You Can Be My Wingman
Jul 24, 2001
The Highway to the Danger Zone
well they got scared because early in the xbox development everyone was calling it a PC or PC hybrid. They really wanted success in japan and they knew that xbox had to be nothing less (or more) than a gaming console. The DVD thing i guess they felt was one of those "might as well" things to do, but they really want to make you want an xbox rather than a pc. By making a mouse/keyboard a normal part of xbox gaming, you are making it a gaming pc rather than an old fashioned console. They need that old fashioned console aura about them if they are going to do well in japan.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I have been playing alot of Halo on my Xbox and the controls arent bad. Although I could do way better on a keyboard and mouse. And I do hope one is released on the Xbox. but I dont think their will be any problems playing UC on a Xbox with just a gamepad.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
I've been playing Halo a lot too, both off and online.

The controls feel totally normal now, and I've hit and seen others hit people in mid-air, etc. Once you get the feel for it, you can definately excel in the game.

I agree that control would be better with a mouse/keyboard, but I think that Bungie did an excellent job of perfecting the controls for the Xbox.

-I_AM{skullface}

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Same here skullface. but if the Xbox ever has a keyboard and mouse ill be the first to buy it. if your good with a gamepad then your own with a keyboard and mouse. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I think they need a Controller with a Trackball in one side of it... it would fix alot fo the aiming problems.

J. Speed

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 21, 2001
USA
Visit site
I agree w/ you 100% IceStorm. Trying to move and shoot a target
w/ an XBOX sometimes can be troubling compared to using a mouse.

Im to a point now where I think that UC deserves better than an XBOX controller... like a PC port. If it does make it to the PC the only thing I'll miss from the XBOX is the rumble feedback from weapon recoil. explosions and rounds hitting....Thats one thing that rocks on the Box.

T.Dizzle

Jan 21, 2004
Um i happen to be a classic gamer. been playing doom since i was 6. But i must say that the gamepad is quite remarkable. It has precision aiming and it is easy to control. I have both UC and Halo and i must say that halos aiming is more precise because the game lets you control the sensitivity at the very beginning of the game. and you can fine tune it at any part of the game.

i don't think MS is shooting itself in the foot at all and i also think that they have designed the Xbox to handle FPSs 100%.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
tool said:
That was tried once, it didnt work.

dunno why I never saw this.

I think it would work fine, with sensitivity tweaking of course :)