GROUND BRANCH - BFS 2.0

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
You have your mind made up I see, but there is one thing that I hate to see in forums and it's quotes like that and the one where you say "...groups like the ACE developers regularly release huge updates like clockwork".

Those drive me nuts every time I see similar comments about "well if a mod can do it" crap. You refer to MODS and not games made form the ground up. Mods are built on top of an EXISTING GAME and already have the majority of systems they need in place.

That is a fair criticism I'll give you that. But given what I've seen in the past with ground branch there does not seem to be a reason for the project to be so sparse. The basic gist of what I'm saying is that their pitch isn't working and unfortunately their crossing their arms and turning their noses up and blaming the lack of a budget.

When someone says my presentation is lackluster because of a lack of money, it says they are not resourceful. It sucks but that's the truth. I'm now concerned about their leadership more than the tech demo which is 50% of what you're investing in with indie projects.

Last edited:

jsonedecker

Jun 14, 2008
Well look at my user name, I am the "Leadership". We are a team, but I am the Captain of the ship..... John Sonedecker.

I'm not sure why you get the sense that we are "crossing our arms and turning our noses up and blaming lack of budget". We have been working on the game as best we can to this point. People need to eat and take care of their families. We aren't a couple guys in an apartment eating noodles and working 20 hours a day. The slow pace however, is a direct result of the lack of budget and I have been very open and clear about that. Again, my argument that mods work on top of a finished game stands.

You like to read into things a lot I see. Everyone can have an opinion but one fact that has come out of this so far is very few people have said there is a problem with our pitch. I have received way more comments about the positive pitch and presentation than I have seen criticizing it. Yes our numbers are low, but I attribute that to 2 things.....
1) We haven't hit the main media until now (by design due to E3) and
2) The "realism" community is notoriously skeptical, nitpicky and hard to please no matter what you show them. They always want more, and Kickstarter might not be the best medium for overly skeptical people.

Like I said, you have your mind made up, but please don't question my ability to do the very thing I have built a very solid 15 year career on.

chuckus

Can't stop the bum rush.
Sep 23, 2001
Visit site
I don't know how I didn't realize I was replying to you. I thought you were psych.

Well my mind isn't made up. The reason I'm sticking around arguing this is I'm looking for something to seal the deal for me to pony up. And I'm having a hard time seeing it. It's early days yet. I apologize for insulting you but given that the kickstarter campaign is not just a fund raiser but, from what I can understand, an important vote of confidence on the viability of your project, I'm looking for solutions rather than blaming the nitpickiness of the tac shooter community. You know all gamers, not just realism gamers, are nitpicky and snotty about games but they pony up when they see something they like. They don't seem to like your campaign despite your project having more meat to it than any other project save for BIS and ARMA 3. It's an impressive state of affairs but it means nothing if you can't get funded. That's why I'm concerned.

GB and BFS has all the elements in place except for the pitch which is an unusual and quite frankly deadly situation for a company of any type.

I hope you guys make the moves you need to make to get this things off the ground. I'll mull it over for a little while longer.

Last edited:

tomcat ha

Feb 2, 2002
Visit site
paypal doesnt like this stuff.
and i think the problem with pledges is that a lot of the tactical community is in europe and not all of us have credit cards.

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
paypal doesnt like this stuff.
and i think the problem with pledges is that a lot of the tactical community is in europe and not all of us have credit cards.

What ??? Oh you mean "us in europe who are under 16"...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
New stuff!

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rS5fuz-Z4fs&feature=player_embedded[/m]

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1UOtnlwyjg&feature=player_embedded[/m]

Weapon and Character customization is really advanced. Should make any INF gamer love it.

weaponcustomization.jpg

charactercustomization.jpg

Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Hey Guys,

nice to see something is coming along ... and Psychomorph hasn't lost his enthusiasm in the last decade ;)

Sorry to hear about Beppos "burnout" although not in this thread.

Was anybody around here actually able to test this pre-alpha stuff?

Damn, I miss good old INF days. I guess all the ideas Beppo coding INF 3.0 or something alike was mostly wishfull thinking. He must be in his 40s, having wife and kids, not the circumstances where you put all your efforts and spare time in coding a project for free... Has he posted in the last years?

ant75

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
Jan 11, 2001
Paris
Now our only hope lies in Beppo's kids. May they learn to code quickly.

Anybody knows what happened to yurch btw ?

edit : hey nuke, nice to see you're haunting this place too ;)

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
Hey Ant, yeah still haunting, nice to see you.

this place feels like trapped in time. Lots of good memories for me but also kind of sad to come back here and see how much time has passed and how everyone is still waiting for a worthy succeeder.

I wonder if any game has ever had a more loyal community...

Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Hey Guys,

nice to see something is coming along ... and Psychomorph hasn't lost his enthusiasm in the last decade ;)

Sorry to hear about Beppos "burnout" although not in this thread.

Was anybody around here actually able to test this pre-alpha stuff?

Damn, I miss good old INF days. I guess all the ideas Beppo coding INF 3.0 or something alike was mostly wishfull thinking. He must be in his 40s, having wife and kids, not the circumstances where you put all your efforts and spare time in coding a project for free... Has he posted in the last years?

Hey Nuke. GB is coming along, but not in a way where you can make predictions. I am still enthusiastic, but I switched from active enthusiasm to "may be there at some point in time" enthusiasm. But I still have faith, more faith than to see INF3.

Beppo is actually still checking this forums, so if you write him a PM, he may answer at some point. I see he is still attached to the whole story here, which is cool.

Hey Ant, yeah still haunting, nice to see you.

this place feels like trapped in time. Lots of good memories for me but also kind of sad to come back here and see how much time has passed and how everyone is still waiting for a worthy succeeder.

I wonder if any game has ever had a more loyal community...

Given the fact that this was just some guy's mod, the community that arose is impressive. To me, given the fact that it is just some guy's mod, the amount of quality and design is impressive. Shame this thing kind of died off. Especially in current times where this kind of games do not exist anymore (not as mods, not as retail games), INF would have filled a void. I guess ArmA kind of fills the void as much as it can, but there are still some open corners. Project Reality is not to forget, too, but we are kind of talking about full scale combat, INF was different.

I also feel that this site is like conserved in time. Like a message in the bottle. If I visit it, it's like the games we had in INF are not that far away in the past. Let's hope BU doesn't shut it's gates anytime soon.

I would love to play INF still. I actually wanted to play it the entire weekend, but nobody really does so there was no point. I kind of miss the old school, unmodded TDM/DTAS times. Game was simpler back then and more pure and raw.

Ahh well. Meet you in another ten years Nuke. Same time same place hopefully. :D

Last edited: