Epic Games To Show UE4 Sneek Peek At GDC

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

akstylish

Keyboard Crasha
Jan 22, 2008
And Epic hasn't sold out eh? Quit being a fanboy and wait till we actually see what UE4 has to offer. For all we know UE4 might just be a console optimized version of the UE3 Samaritan tech demo.

Exactly why I'm not excited about this. At all.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
Hm, what if the game that will be the flagship for the UE4 is actually an HD remake of UT?

I can't decide whether that would blow really hard or be super awesome.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I found this on Kotaku today...

Browser based gaming

The New Face of Browser-Based Gaming, Courtesy of Unreal Engine 3

Epic Games likes to show off at the Game Developers Conference.

They just did.

They wanted to show how their Unreal Engine running in Flash. In a web browser.

So they showed us Epic Citadel the tech demo used to show off Epic's Unreal Engine 3 on the iPhone and iPad. It looked great. And it was in a browser.

"This isn't your father's Farmville," Epic's Mark Rein said, "this is immersive, 3D, beautiful environments."

Next, he showed Dungeon Defenders, running in Flash, running full-screen. It looked like the Steam and Xbox 360 versions.

And then?

Unreal Tournament III. They showed this before during an Adobe Event, but wanted to make sure we saw that it is, as Rein said, "the game you expect."

The point of all this? To say that the kind of Unreal Engine games that you see on PC, console or iOS could show up in a browser, and it will look like the screens you see here.

Rein said UTIII is not an actual product. Just something to show. A small taste of things to come, proving that Flash is a technology that can enable console-quality experiences in your web browser.

What's next? Remember that stunning Samaritan demo from GDC 2011? "Our longterm goal is to be able to do Samaritan in Flash."

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
Kotaku are about six/seven months behind the times - this has been known about for a while.

I've already stressed that this shit is effectively useless. Content sizes for UE3 based games are quite large - there's a reason why they're installed. You don't want to have to download a few hundred megs of data every time you log into a flash game that doesn't already have it cached. Even Quake Live installs all that stuff on your machine in advance.

toniglandyl

internal data fragmentation : 62203480%
Jan 20, 2006
diceedge.blogspot.com

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
The card was Kepler - it's not really news though, when Samaritan was shown last year it was already expected (and mentioned when shown) that the demo was to be optimised to run on a single consumer graphics card.

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
I think that kepler might be a good upgrade from my 8800GT. :)

heck yeah.
I was waiting for those cards to drop in order to get a big discount on a 500 series card but, if it performs this much better I'll just fork out the extra dough for the new kid.

Of course, some of that performance must be due to optimization, so maybe it runs well on "two" 580's now.
I don't know. It would probably still be cheaper to get one badass card.

Mozi

Zer0 as a number
Apr 12, 2002
In the Borderlands..
www.mozidesign.com
I've now heard from two people that Epic's not-for-press demo of the Unreal Engine 4 is astounding. It's too bad we in the media can't see this tech yet, as it appears to be the very stuff of next-gen gaming consoles.

From Epic designer Quinn DelHoyo's twitter posts. Taken from Kotaku originally.