Impossibility or reality?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Nemephosis

Earning my Infrequent Flier miles
Aug 10, 2000
I had a good idea for a mod, although with my 1337 mod skills, ie none, I can't do anything like that.. sooo, I was wondering...

anyone with modding skills and nothing to do: Could this be done?

How about where you can cause damage to the terrain? ie you see a large tower some %^$&^%^ is sniping from. So you take out the Mini and chip that tower away with it. Suddenly the tower collapses!

Now wouldn't that be cool?

My question(s): Can it be made into a mod? And if so, who would like to take on this task?

Or, if a mod can't be done, how about a map that can be damaged?

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Technically the UT engine already supports this kinda stuff. I've already seen a few maps where you can "blow up stuff". In Deus Ex(UT engine game) you can plant mines on specific walls whereupon they explode into tiny fragments.

This works great for doors and collapsable walls. However entire buildings, mountains, towers gets a little more complicated. You'd have to drop the ceiling down and anything on it. I THINK it's feasible but it wouldn't be real easy.

Personally I'd rather see something like this in Unreal 2. This way it will be part of the engine and not a mod that we have to download and is filled with bugs no one cares to fix. ;)

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Sounds good

That sounds like a good idea but I bet the entire UT engine would need reworking to account for the physics of actually giving the terrain mass, etc. I imagine you are awaiting Volition's release of Red Faction? It appears to be in a similar vein to UT, well more like it's a FPS game, but it will have fully destructable terrain.

Wish I was good at creating mods too as I've got ideas I want to implement. However Starfleet Command 2 currently has much of my attention. :D

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
wow, people so rarely reply to my threads that you can imagine my surprise when I see 2 replies to one I made, and so quickly! :)

Yeah the destructible terrain is the kind of thing I wanted but in UT. See not all of us have the $$$ to blow on games all the time. :)

Oh well... it was only a thought (maybe more like a wish.) :D

Thanks guys!

AmigaOne|BuF

Masterful
Sep 14, 2000
Lansing, Michigan
Hmm...

Ya know,

Maybe if you post your interest over at ModSquad http://www.planetunreal.com/modsquad/ they will have an answer on how to do it? Or perhaps someone there who can? I still haven't gotten around to even creating the textures for the Star Trek mods I wanna do. Oh well.. life is short and too much of it is spent working! What's wrong with that picture huh? :D

Hey! I think this post put me into Masterful! Thanks Nightmare!

Do_Or_Die

Aug 1, 2000
Sweeney mentioned this

I remember reading an interview of Tim Sweeney where he mentioned having truly collapsable and transformable terrain/architecture would be a great accomplishment in future games. So it's definitely a goal that they have, something where like you have a huge battle around a building and eventually the building just collapses from all the damage it takes. But I think the items that are collapsable in the games right now are hard on the engine. Because it's usually a small crate (like in Unreal and HL) or a door or something, it doesn't really matter. But if you were to blow it up to huge proportions like the towers in Face, it would take a huge hit on framerates. I'm not really sure that that is true but I believe that's the way it is right now. But don't be surprised if you see this in an upcoming game. Actually, I think Red Faction from Volition (I think that's the company's name) is already doing this kind of thing, where you can use dynamite to change the shape of the levels, something like that. It would be very cool though. Especially if your enemies were somehow trapped in the building hehe.

Nemephosis

Aug 10, 2000
gee Amiga, glad I could help. :)

I think I will post it... I mean someone has to know how to do it! :D

Tetris L

Smartass
Feb 15, 2000
Germany
cleaned.beyondunreal.com
A mutator won't help if the map isn't made for it. Like Kokensu said ... the Unreal engine already supports it. You may remember in Unreal Classic singleplayer you could often blow-up things. But the map has to be made for it and it must be pre-defined which things are destructable and which aren't by the map-maker.

I have a link to an unrealed tutorial for making such maps, but the link is b0rked. :(

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
As already said the maps must be made for it. It's possible in a smaller scale if you set mover for it (UnrealEd). But each mover can only have one set of keyframes, which limits the possiblities of it. You'd also have to build all things with movers only :eek: