more retarded people blaming video games

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

spineblaZe

VFX Extraordinaire
Apr 8, 2003
MN
Visit site
Riiiight. Ok, if your kid kills someone because they saw it in a video game (or movie or tv or comic book or whatever) you are either:

A: a terrible parent or
B: your kid is just seriously deranged and/or satan.

Neither of these makes the video game responsible. Fvck people are dumb. Reading about people like this makes my head hurt. Maybe that is why I hate the news. Jon Stewart is cool though. Ok now I am OT.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
:tup: spine...this has been proven hundreds of times by the top psychological minds. People believe otherwise becauseof the news media that says dumb things like "the youths were said to be acting out scenes from a video game they played often called quake" for a school shooting.

Anyone in their right mind knows you cannot find quake weapons in the real world nor act out a quake-esque scene in the real world. It wouldn't work at all. The kid would have to be seriously messed up to think that is what they were doing.

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
Well, uh, if your family had been blown to bits by some kid, a kid that WAS doing it because he'd been inspired, then you would be looking for someone to blame, methinks. Stupid people giving games a bad name, not really stupid people that say games are causing people to go out and kill, even if it is a tiny minority.

Swift Viper

Long live Xmas Xan Mark III(By Hyrulian)
And how many times has Grand Theft Auto 3 (or Vie City) been blamed!?

This is getting old fast, I heard so many stories about kids/teens going out to do these kind of things because of a game. The game is not the problem, they are, the kids/teens already had problems before they played the game.
Family members of those killed in video game-related shooting sprees say it is time to take Grand Theft Auto off the market, before more lives are lost.
Actually, it should be more like:

"It is time for parents to stop their children from playing these games before more lives are lost due to know not knowing the different between the real world and the gaming world."

My question is, why do they always try to emulate (sp?) shooting in games and why is it always video games? I don't hear stories about people trying to emulate cartoons and stuff. [sarcasm]Yeah, now you might as well ban G rated cartoons because kids could try those things and get killed :rolleyes: .[/sarcasm] Another thing, video games can't make you more skillful at real life stuff (most of the time), because I'm very good at skate boarding games like Tony Hawk's Pro Skater, but when I tryed it in real life, I could hardly stand on the board, let alone move around and jump and do tricks. Another thing, the rating, M = 17+ and it is suppose to be for people who can handly it and know the different between a game and real life. Now I know a lot of underaged people play T and M rated games (like me), but most of us can handly it. Need I go on?

Stuff like this really gets to my skin, if all the fun games (another thing, the fun games also gets targeted) get banned because of the 1% people lamers that do these kind of things, I'm going to be one very unhappy gamer :mad: :tdown: :stick: :shake: .

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
If 1% of gamers went around shooting people and being lame then, I think there would be a bloody good reason to take the games off of the market.

Do you need to play a game to teach you how to aim a gun and pull the trigger? I think not. I think these kids knew what they were doing and were having a laugh, they didn't intend to kill anyone (according to the article) but were just, you know, shooting at cars going past to be an annoyance. They probably knew what they were doing, and there probably is no doubt that it was the game's fault.

Now, the question is, was it the game makers fault? No, I wouldn't have said so. Many humans are violent in nature and need some sort of violent outlet, games are an excellent way of doing this without harming anyone/thing. These games have brought some fun to many, many people without causing them to go off and shoot other people.

There are some really stupid people out there that really don't consider the consequences of what they are doing though, or simply don't have any concept of the consequences until it has happened.

Metakill

Inhumane
Feb 18, 2000
Redwood City, CA USA
What kind of (un-)conscientious parents would let their teenage kids run around with shotguns, for crying out loud. I don't care if its Compton or Kansas, ALL TEENAGERS ARE INSANE!!! Hell, if somebody had given me a shotgun when I was fifteen, I'd probably have blown some of my classmates away too.

IMO, parents should be held responsible for any crimes their kids commit using guns that THEY MADE AVAILABLE TO THEM. Even if the kids go free in a few years, at least the victims' families can know that somebody's paying for being stupid.

Of course, the article doesn't mention where the guns came from (naturally). If the parents had nothing to do with it, I suppose its not their fault if their kids are little Dahmers.

Lewis

May 1, 2003
ok wtf?! if the game has a high age rating (Uk its 18) then why were the kids playing the game in the first place? some people are so dumb

Assymilator

No idea what to put here.
Feb 18, 2001
It's Not Atlanta, GA
"We want to send a message with a huge verdict to Sony and TAKE2interactive and the entire video game industry that if they're going to continue to market adult-rated games to children with these horrific consequence, then we're going to take their blood money from them and send a message to their boards that they have to stop this practice or there will be other suits on behalf of other people, killed by these games," Thompson said.
Well, ****, I better go out and burn my copy of Knights of the Old Republic before a lightsaber errupts from the case and tries to smite me.

Daedalus

I don't even...
May 24, 2001
Pittsburgh
www.beyondunreal.com
gee...doesnt this seem familiar. I cant stand these ****ing suits against games. If the kids had parents that werent ****ING RETARDS and told them that what's in a game is NOT REAL LIFE. Maybe this **** wouldnt happen. Instead of blaming the parents, they just decided to use the good ol' scapegoat that is video games. :mad:

Swift Viper

iridium said:
If 1% of gamers went around shooting people and being lame then, I think there would be a bloody good reason to take the games off of the market.

Do you need to play a game to teach you how to aim a gun and pull the trigger? I think not. I think these kids knew what they were doing and were having a laugh, they didn't intend to kill anyone (according to the article) but were just, you know, shooting at cars going past to be an annoyance. They probably knew what they were doing, and there probably is no doubt that it was the game's fault.
Games do NOT teach you how to shoot or aim a gun, your more likely to learn from a toy gun and even then it would be much different. I'm not blamming toy guns or anything and I used a gun, so I would not know. Ok, so it is less then 1% of gamers doing this, but we still hear these stories every once in a while. It was not the game fault, but their own. Think about this, for the other people that done these kind of actions, do they feel sad after shooting the first person? I think not, they just shoot the next person and if they really cared, they would not do this at all. If the games were banned, think of all the 99% of the gamers that would be mad and of all the stuff that would be going on. In other words, less then 1% is not that much at all compared to the other 99% that don't do these kind of things. Besides, I wish people would stop picking on GTA, the game is so much fun to play, fun is the whole point of games. And btw I did read the whole post, I just did not qoute it.

Now, the grand question, how did they get the guns *ding ding ding*? If I ever have kids, I'll make sure I watch them and make sure they don't do this stuff. I could go on and on, but I'll save it for later.

Last edited:

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
Swift Viper said:
Games do NOT teach you how to shoot or aim a gun.

Uh, yeah, that is exactly what I said, if you read carefully.

I was just pointing out that 1% of the population runs somewhere in the millions..

1% of 50,000,000 = 500,000 ...

My point is (and I didn't make this so well), that these kids were definately inspired by the game. This, in the eyes of the people/families of people that were injured/killed, makes it the games fault.

Swift Viper

iridium said:
Uh, yeah, that is exactly what I said, if you read carefully.

I was just pointing out that 1% of the population runs somewhere in the millions..

1% of 50,000,000 = 500,000 ...

My point is (and I didn't make this so well), that these kids were definately inspired by the game. This, in the eyes of the people/families of people that were injured/killed, makes it the games fault.
Your only saying that they were inspired by the game and that the people and families of those who would injured or killed sees it as the games fault, but you don't say anything on how exactly kids learn how to hold the gun, aim it and other stuff. You can easily be inspired by say a skate boarding game, but it won't teach you how to skate board. It does not tell you how to do the tricks besides what buttons to press. Same thing goes for guns, it does not tell you how to hold the gun, how to handly recoil and how to reload it and all that. I'm reading it carefully, but tell me exactly how it tells them how to shoot a gun. They could easily get that off TV and movies too and again, playing a skateboarding game does not teach you how to skateboard, because I tryed it and could hardly stand on the board, yet alone do all the other stuff. If they did got on a skateboard after being inspired by the skating game and ride it well, then they must already had some skills in it. Same goes for shooting. Now, I'm not trying to make what I said sound like a flame or rant. Out of the 1%, remember that all 500,000 of those people don't play video games and a lot of them are adults.

Last edited:

iridium

... loves Mr. Lamppost
Dec 11, 2000
UK
I never at one point said it taught them how to hold a gun, I was saying they could quite easily learn to hold, aim, and fire a gun from elsewhere.

I must say that skateboarding probably doesn't compare to learning to aim and fire a gun. Sure, you might not be able to aim it accurately over a long distance, but I can't exactly imagine it being that hard even with no experiance to hit something a short distance away.

And who knows how long they'd been sat there shooting at cars? maybe they had already missed 50 cars beforehand.

I've played GTA3 myself, good, amusing game.. I'm not against it myself personally, I'm just trying to explain to you that the people we should be bitching at shouldn't be the people suing rockstar games, we should be bitching at the idiots that think it'd be a laugh to shoot up people's cars, thinking it might be amusing, not even stopping to think they might shoot someone (which may or may not have been their intention, but I doubt it.)

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
The kids in that news article never even said anything about being inspired by GTA anyways. They most likely did it because their parents werent responsible, so sue the parents.

Ooh well though, this has been talked about to death, people have attempted to sue video game developers over and over again, and guess what? Not a single person sueing has won. Violent video games arent going to be banned, they are going to continue to be sold to anyone who has the money to buy them. There is no way you can prevent underaged kids from buying or playing M rated games. The parents can just buy them, or better yet the kid can just buy the game over the internet.

Parents might aswell just give up now, and face the fact that they have to be responsible for their kids. A lawsuit isnt going to change anything, being an actual parent is.

Last edited:

TossMonkey

brown bread?
Sep 4, 2001
Great Britain.
quakeguy.tumblr.com
Anyone can make up this kind of ****, here let me show you mine.

--------------------------
"Increase in law suits against video game violence has also shown a correlation with an increase in illiteracy.
Gavin Edgington, 7-9-2003.

These are the recent findings of a collaborative effort between top gaming website gamesindustry.biz and the British Council, who have reported a marginal increase in illiterate parents that file for law suits against the video game industry.

18.jpg
icon_ao.gif

When most parents where questioned outside the pending courtcases what these signs meant, none of them had a clue. The recent study could also be interpreted differently, are these people really illiterate? Or just plain stupid?

We went into the streets to ask the public what they thought on the subject matter, not surprisingly the majority of the public (over 86%) said that these "concerned parents" were "dumbasses" and "smacktards".

Indeed.

We couldn't get any correspondance from the parents in question over the recent study, because of the confidentialty over the court cases. But we were lucky enough to speak to a couple people from the Industry.

"I'd like to say that these people are dumbasses, and of course smacktards." - A very handsome CliffyB at Epic.

"These people should be removed from the genepool, or atleast from civilised society where I don't have to deal with them." - The wise PR man Todd Hollenstead from Id.

The research is being carried out in the hopes that the problem can be isolated and solved, and prevented in the future so that the next generation of parents will not become "smacktards".

The research at the moment looks to be conclusive, but will still continue to help further understand the scale of the problem at hand."
-----------------------------

Hopefully people will stop using the entertainment industry as a scapegoat and learn that the only reason their kids are murderous little bastards are because they couldn't exercise any self control and stop little jimmy from playing "Grand Theft Murder Everyone With An M16 While Pissing On Your Neighbors" even though it had a huge 18 certificate on the front of the box.

this story is complete fiction.

Last edited: