Need help with my cable modum cable

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Feb 4, 2000
Visit site
My cat landed on my computer cable and now the connection is loose :( I lose my web connection and I have to jiggle the cable to make it come back on.

So I bought a cable that looks like what I need. But it didn't work. The package said RJ45 Cat. 5.

What I need has phone jack looking connectors, but thicker. So how do I know which one I need? The idiots at the store can't help me.

SimplyCosmic

ERGO. VIS A VIS. CONCORDANTLY.
Dec 25, 1999
Northeast Ohio
www.simplycosmic.net
That's an RJ45 connection (standard Catagory 5 cable) alright.

One thing to check is whether or not he sold you a straight patch cable or crossover cable (which reverses some of the wires in order to allow to hubs and whatnot to be connected together).

Feb 4, 2000
Visit site
Well, I have @Home. And the modum is several years old.

On the package of the cable that did not work, it says, "Computer Network Cable: 3.65m 8-conductor (4 twisted pair) cable with rj45 modular plugs, cat 5. Radio Shack 278-792" That's everything on the package.

Feb 4, 2000
Visit site
When I replace the cable, do I have to turn the modum and computer off first?

All I can really tell you about the modum itself is that its made my Motorola, and the box is gray. I got it a few years ago.

No Soup For You

I got your PM right HERE!
Well the first thing they give to the chatoic retard apes that provide tech support for @home and AT&T is a list that says:

Tell customer to:
1) power down cable modem
2) press invisible reset button on modem
3) unplug modem from wall
4) wait patiently for some random period of time (listen for impatient breathing sounds, cursing, and/or signs of an apparent seizure)
5) tell customer "OK - that ought to do it".
6) goto 1

So you should probably try that and reboot a few times for good measure - I'm serious - this stuff is like Voodoo!

Wait...on second thought tell that dumb cat to fix it or there will be no more Tender Vittles

Da RicK

Stubid newpie
Apr 26, 2001
Next to Santa
Originally posted by Sapphire Nights
Well, I have @Home. And the modum is several years old.

On the package of the cable that did not work, it says, "Computer Network Cable: 3.65m 8-conductor (4 twisted pair) cable with rj45 modular plugs, cat 5. Radio Shack 278-792" That's everything on the package.

So that would be twisted.. or in other words cross-over
get a cable that 1-on-1 (patch cable)

like SC said