Pauses during gameplay!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jearay

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
Does any one else has pauses during the game? It feels like if it was a hard disk swap but I don't think it is because my virtual memory is at 256mb. Other than this its very smooth when I play.

I have a PII 400, 128 RAM, V3 3000 and PCI128 sound card.

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
What resolution do you play at? Try this in UT "advanced options/advanced/game engine settings", change the "game engine cache" from the default of 4MB to at least 20MB. This should reduce any hard drive hitching.

What you said about having 256MB of virtual memory so you aren't swapping to disk makes no sense at all. That 256MB of virtual memory *is* disk space.

If you turned virtual memory off, then you wouldn't get any swapping (of course UT would crash immediately...).

I have run UT with 128, 256 and 512 MB of RAM. The only time I didn't get an occasional hitch was at 512MB.

IGP.PiXel

Nov 10, 1999
members.home.net
If it's pauses when you play online, I read somewhere that whenever a new player joins the game, everyone pauses for a split second as they connect (and apparantly this was a deliberate thing implemented by the programmers).

Voyd-

Nov 24, 1999
Visit site
yes god dammit, i also get those pauses. it has nothing to do with my machine becuase in the demo it never hitched ONCE in all the times i played it. i have 128mb of ram and i put the cachesizemegs at 64.

ive seen many people complain about this so its not just a coincidence. its sumthin in UT 400, plain and simple. note that this hitching in question only happens during the first game on a server, and happens randomly. player entering sometimes pauses it but not always. all other games on that same server are smooth as silk. anyways thats how it is for me.

Jearay

Nov 30, 1999
Visit site
Thanx for your help RW. I put 40m of cache and the gameplay is just amazing. No more pauses and much better framerate, actually I never had framerate that good before.

Status
Not open for further replies.