Some more breakable glass problems...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Ok, so I managed to get my breakable glass to break and I have a building with nineteen windows on it that can break. The first time I break all the windows there are no problems everything looks great. When I break the windows a second time (I have it so they come back after 30 seconds...) the breaking glass effect on some of them happens "twenty feet" away from the window. Any ideas what is going on here?

i-spie

Jun 28, 2000
Toronto
Visit site
You have plenty windows there G-Man.......my guess is that you duplicated the first one and perhaps added the rest using the same brush. This works fine except you must watch out for a few things...

1. Make sure that you don't cause "double actor class" errors....to find this out, click on each mover seperatly and make sure that when you select its properties, it says that you have "one" brush selected. Sometimes for reasons unknown to me, the brush or mover, playerstart will duplicate itself when you try to make a copy...ineffect producing 3 copies. If you find this problem has happened just select delete, and the count will go to "one" brush selected....press "rebuild"

Also checkout the samething for your exploding glass actors....it happens to them too sometimes when you duplicate them.

2. If everything is clear there, make sure that none of them share the same "tag" name. You could check each one or go ino "overhead" view and make sure each glass mover has only on red line to it....if it has two, fix it.

3. Make sure that the "exploding glass" actor is not inside you glass brush. Place it next to or infront of your mover...this has happened to me and it screwed eveything up. Never place these types of actors inside of anything...they always should be hanging free. Besides, if your "glass" actor is inside or infront of the glass mover, you won't notice any differance.......

Hope this helps........Cheers!

hey, i-spie. good tips. i'll have a look at them myself. sadly, i couldnt open or import that glass demo you sent me. my Ued hasnt been able to import things for a while (there's an thread about that somewhere), so i'll just have to re-read what youve said and follow instructions very, very carefully.

- P

i-spie

Jun 28, 2000
Toronto
Visit site
Sorry to hear that Phrag....I'll try sending it to you uncompressed...maybe that was the problem. Just double click on the Unreal icon and it should load like any other map...good luck!

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
i-spie maybe you could help me with this:

I've decided I have too many "windows" that are breakable. I say "windows" because in I haven't made them translucent, I've just used a window texture on a sheet with a collision hull behind it. Sooo, I've decided to cut back on the number of breakable windows. I want, however, to make the breakable and unbreakable windows to be different i.e. I want the breakable ones to stand out so that you know which windows are breakable and which ones aren't. I'm going to have all my windows (breakable and unbreakable) unlit so I can't use that feature? Can you think of another way to make the breakable "windows" stick out? Thanks.

[Edited by G-Man on 08-01-2000 at 03:28 PM]

i-spie

Jun 28, 2000
Toronto
Visit site
I too would have suggested using the "unlit" feature but, all I can think of is scaling the texture for the glass bigger or smaller (whatever looks best :) ) This should make them stand out, but still blend in with the rest.

Or you could slightly change the color of your lighting around the windows that are breakable (high brightness, low radius) so that the surounding structure will glow a different hue.

An excellent color lighting tute:

http://www.unrealized.com/leveldesign/tutorials.html?id=921627015

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Ok, Ok, you must be sick of hearing from me now on this subject but here is my latest dilema. I've managed to get several of the breakable windows to work PUUUUURFECTLY, but now some of them when I do a complete rebuild are invisible from one side, however if I just do a geometry rebuild they are fine. They are ctrl-w copies of other windows that work fine but for some reason the decide they want to be invisible from one side. They all have unique tabs and meet all the required criteria as mentioned above. How would rebuilding the lighting make the window invisible from one side? Any ideas?

i-spie

Jun 28, 2000
Toronto
Visit site
I had this exact problem too, and as far I could tell, it came from doing the duplicate stuff. I also could not reverse that effect no matter what I tried (And I tried plenty :()

Once in a while, if I deleted the mover AND the subtracted brush that I used to make the hole in the first place...then rebuilt...saved....Exited the editor...then launched everything anew.....then putting everthing back in order (sub-brush, then mover) that worked.

If that didn't work then I ended having to make my brush for the mover all over again...I know, that sucks but thats all that worked for me.

One thing I do now if thing go screwy for no apparent reason...I delete the screwed up brush, rebuild, save and then relaunch the editor. For some reason this seems to work for me.

If you want, I can take a look at your windows...just send me the file.

G-Man

Mar 11, 2000
Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Visit site
Thanks i-spie. To check out my map you'll have to download my texture pack as well. You can download the map file and texture file in zip format from here:

http://www.driveway.com/share?sid=de6034b1.9a0f3&name=Uploaded+Files

***MAKE SURE YOU DOWNLOAD VER. 1.05*** (if it's not there now it should be there in a few minutes, I'm uploading as I write!)

To load the map you'll have to go into UT and eliminate all bots from practice matches, make sure you have an enforcer to blow up the windows and a translocator to hop up into one of the buildings as I haven't put an elevator in it yet. Then close UT and double click on the map file.

Make sure you take a look underground as well :)!