Performance woes - Q3A runs smoother than UT...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

[TC]GunSlinger

Jan 30, 2000
Perth, WA, Australia
Visit site
Here are my system specs

Cel466 (not o/c'd)
V3-2000 (o/c'd to 170MHz)
128MB RAM
SB PCI64 soundcard
AI6NE LX motherboard (with 2x AGP slot)
Windows 98SE
Directx 7.0a
latest drivers for everything (except my V3 - using the december drivers, yet to try the new ones)

I'm running UT at 1024x768, with all details at max, and the game totally chugs whenever there is more than 2 or 3 ppl on screen. I've tweaked the game via the advanced options, but to get it running smoothly it looks quite plain. I've got all the latest drivers for everything except for the v3, as there were new drivers released a few days ago. I'm running under Glide mode, with 3D sound enabled (the PCI64 supports EAX).

I've actually found Q3A runs better than UT, which is really surprising....so I'm thinking I've got something installed wrongly or some setting wrong. What can I do to get better fps?

thanks in advance.

[TC]GunSlinger

Jan 30, 2000
Perth, WA, Australia
Visit site
Come on, theres gotta be someone that can help me. According to Epic, a P2-266 is fast enough. From the system requirements, my PC should be running it smooth as.

God damn I hate how software companies lie through their teeth about system requirements!!! Serves them right when ppl pirate their games....

lunarize

Feb 5, 2000
Visit site
I have the same problem, but I have an Nvidia GeForce256 DDR (Guillemot 3D Prophet DDR DVI). If there are more than a few people on the screen at once, I get serious slowdowns to about 5fps. I play it at 1024x768x32 with max detail settings. Its really annoying and I've done everything (including replacing the video card) and can't get it to perform nearly as well as any other game I throw at my system. I was actually thinking about getting a cheaper Voodoo3 so I could use Glide and not have to deal with the damn slowdowns....

Here's what I have:

PIII 500
512MB RAM
22GB IBM Deskstar 7200rpm
SBLive Value
Guillemot 3D Prophet DDR-DVI
Detonator 3.72 drivers and 405b patch (plus a special patch given to me by Guillemot and the experimental d3ddrv.dll from GT interactive).
DirectX7.0a

CHRYSt

You can't help that. We're all mad here.
Jan 14, 2000
www.crawlspaceradio.com
uhhhh...Epic never said it would run on a system like that with all the gfx all the way up. Run at 640x480, or 800x600, with everything on medium (trust me, you won't notice the texture difference)and you should be fine.

bullet2.gif

"Where's the BACTINE?! Some of this blood is MINE!!" -- JTHM