Manual or automatic?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Just had my first drive in an auto-transmission car (Volvo 850). It feels very strange after learning to drive in a manual, especially when it starts going without me putting my foot on the accelerator. I guess I'll get to like it more, especially if I start making longer journeys - cruise control is very handy for those long, boring motorways (just got to remember to stay awake ;)) - I scared myself when going uphill I couldn't find the gas pedal, just to remember that I'd put cruise control on and it was floored ;).

I guess if you want to get the best acceleration you'd use manual, but after driving a 1984 Nissan Bluebird 1.6LX, it goes a lot better anyway ;). Who else has driven an auto car, and what are your general thoughts?

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
When I'm on four wheels, I like automatic. When I'm on two, I prefer manual, though those 650cc automatic scooters look like a lot of fun.

When I'm not on a motorcycle, it's either because of the weather, or because I want to be temporarily spoiled (at the expense of gas mileage and performance), and being spoiled means I don't have to bloody shift :p

Last edited:

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
First impressions would be the same as yours, Crowze. As you, i learned to drive on manuals, but here in Canada i got t drive an automatic car once o r twice. At first it felt weird and i thought i was out of control, but i got used to it quickly and it didn't feel so bad after all. Just this strange feeling of advancing without touching anything :)

Nightmare

Only human
Sep 23, 2001
Finland
Visit site
I've managed to try an automatic a few times, but wouldn't change to one. Manual gives you more control. Not to mention lower fuel consumption and cheaper spare parts...

Perhaps I'd change my mind about it if I had a need for a luxurious touring car. ATM I collect less than 3000km a month, mostly city driving.

Vega-don

arreté pour detention de tomate prohibée
Mar 17, 2003
Paris suburbs
Visit site
i drove a manual car for 3years and now i drive an auto for 6months.

i def prefer the automatic car because its more practical , less tiring.
not to mention when you are waiting at a stoplight ,and then the light goes green , you can start faster than those people in the bmw's :D

and you can do many more things while driving, for exemple eating hamburgers or kebabs , :2thumb: reading a map,drinking water ,smoking (for those who smoke) , being on phone (wich is forbidden ) ect :lol:

having a BJ while driving

Last edited:

UncleOsmov

The beauty of AWD!
Mar 20, 2002
Chicaaago
Automatic transmissions are the devil
Amen to that! :D
I learned to drive on an automatic and its quite boring and slow.
Ever since I got my WRX, I've only driven manual unless I have to drive my parents' cars, which isn't often. It is clearly more fun. The only way it is more tiring is if you're driving a sports car, otherwise the clutch really isn't that hard to use.

not to mention when you are waiting at a stoplight ,and then the light goes green , you can start faster than those people in the bmw's
Are you kidding? If a guy is paying attention to when a light is turning green and he is driving manual, he will always out accelerate an automatic of equal power.:p

novak

Oct 22, 2003
Visit site
The first car(s) I ever drove were my parent's cars and they were both automatics so driving one isn't a problem for me. The two cars I own, an Opel Calibra and a brand new Honda Civic Type-R, are both are both on the sportier side so automatic transmission would be a bit akward. Manual just gives you more control.

Last edited:

w00p

Windows at its best
In November, I'll be driving a '77 mobylette
lookaround.gif

I don't even think it has gears... :p

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
Vega-don said:
and you can do many more things while driving, for exemple eating hamburgers or kebabs , :2thumb: reading a map,drinking water ,smoking (for those who smoke) , being on phone (wich is forbidden ) ect :lol:

You know... you could be driving when you're behind the wheel instead of worrying about getting road head while stuffing food in your mouth while puffing a cigarette whilst telling your mother all about the experience.

It's generally a good idea to pay attention to driving when you're in charge of a 1 and a half ton vehicle travelling at 50 miles an hour.

ThunderChunky

L337 Cube H@X0®
Jul 1, 2000
And you may like automatic transmissions now. But just you wait until they kick your mother and rape your dog.

We'll see who's laughing then.

ragingsamster

oldfartis nongratis
Jun 4, 2001
Washington
Visit site
I drive a manual - 5 spd, the traffic makes it suck: push in clutch, let out clutch shift up , shift down, over and over, again and again. Manuals rock when you have that winding country road, but stop and go traffic makes it suck my will to live! My next car will be an automatic (prolly be a truck)

Shrap

Beaver
Oct 29, 2000
Manual all the way ! Only downside is traffic though. And being stopped at a redlight in a 45 degree "pente". Now I have some trouble with that sometimes ;)

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
I like manuals, but can't drive em anymore (Left knee is "No longer origional equipment")

So now what I drive has a 455 Olds, coupled to a squishy TH 400. Sheer torque, and big cubes go a long way to make the pain of not being able to double declutch as noticeable.

Meplat-

DamienW

I'm no stranger to sarcasm, sir
Feb 4, 2001
Bayonne, France
ShrapNL said:
Manual all the way ! Only downside is traffic though. And being stopped at a redlight in a 45 degree "pente". Now I have some trouble with that sometimes ;)

Frein à main, Shrap. Le frein à main est ton ami ;)

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
DamienW said:
Frein à main, Shrap. Le frein à main est ton ami ;)
frog.gif

Ribbit. Ribbit ribbit. Ribbit, ribbit; ribbit ribbit ribbit. Ribbit--ribbit ribbit. Ribbit.

:p

Last edited:

mute_dammit

Just mute, dammit!
Sep 11, 2001
I prefer the feeling of driving a car to that of sitting in a well-powered easy chair. Just avoid stop 'n go traffic as much as possible.

Crowze said:
You learned to drive in an automatic? Over here, if you take the test in an automatic, you aren't liscensed to drive a manual (IIRC).
Over here, if you can read the road signs (particularly those that tell at what speed your car should be weaving uncontrollably down the highway) you can get a license to drive basically anything with 4 wheels. Some of the more fascist states might require a driving exam in which actual driving takes place, but not Texas, no sir!

Don said:
the one i drive accelerates very fast.its got 117 horses.and the car is light.
:con: Unless you're talking 500 kg, I just can't see that. On the other hand, if your neighbors all ride unicycles while eating baguettes....