Tribes: Ascend

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Also their understanding of physics is screwy. I'm fine with inheritance, but strafing should not throw your projectile off target by 20ft when the target is 50ft away

Actually it should, that is exactly how inheritance works. The problem with the game is that it does not have 100% inheritance, but 50%. What you are suggesting is an inaccurate representation of real world physics.

Maybe they should hire AngelMapper to fix their **** for them, at the very least they'd end up with a competent mapper
Oh yes, the maps suck, and there isn't enough.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
What is vector addition

50% inheritance:

iUDWvl5NKKfmx.gif

Projectile moves through the side of the barrel of the gun.

100% inheritance:

ibuQnbrS2nW6sP.gif

Projectile follows perfectly, like it should.

This is also why you can throw things around inside a moving car, without things flying off backwards. One could argue that 50% is a simulation of air resistance, but that is a very lazy and inaccurate solution. Air drag wouldn't apply inside a gun, and how much it affects a projectile would gradually rise, not just put an instant reduction on its speed.

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Matchmaking is very hard to do yes, but then I've never seen an FPS game attempt it. I imagine they will have to base it off of personal stats. Their accolade system will serve as a great way to figure out how much good a person is doing for a team, although there needs to be made a few adjustments, like returning a flag at a bad time. Killing people also has to be a little less rewarding. A pathfinder spending the entire game killing people in the enemy base isn't really doing anything good, because people respawn in 5 seconds, right next to where they died nearly.

To be fair, nearly all other games use 0% inheritance, except for some rare circumstances, like when flying helicopters and jets in games like Battlefield. No weapons in Quake or Unreal used it.

Tribes uses the inheritance system, because otherwise fighting at high velocities would pretty much be impossible. Most of the older games in the series also used 50%, which is basically why they are also doing it in T:A, even though there is large amount of people arguing for 100% in the community.

New trailer for the game:

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pjyUy5f3VIw[/M]

Last edited:

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
CoD has matchmaking... every FPS on consoles has matchmaking.

I wouldn't be surprised if that stuff works off of their ranks/levels, and not how good they actually are. StarCraft II, LoL and WoW all work with ELO ratings, that use fairly elaborate systems to figure out how good a player and his team is.

dc

Aug 17, 2005
Just started playing this game a day or so before open beta. I love it. Playing with some old Fourth and Notorious guys from 2k4 and having a ton of fun so far.

Ingame: dczZz

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
So I finally played this for the first time last night after being in the beta for months.

And I'm happy to say it is actually quite good and extremely fun. Skiing is awesome, probably the best of any Tribes game. The Spinfuser is a real joy to use. Jetpack doesn't feel gimped and weak. I'll be playing more of this.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
To be fair, nearly all other games use 0% inheritance, except for some rare circumstances, like when flying helicopters and jets in games like Battlefield. No weapons in Quake or Unreal used it.

Ah true, but it's kind of a weird compromise to only go half way, either do the whole thing or nothing! >< I'm sure it's easy to get used to any way it or any game is set up, but still, weird choice.

I'm down to try the game now though since Brizz says it's fun and I recently uninstalled LoL and made myself quit, for various reasons. :lol:

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Problem is I think HiRez's definition of "inheritance" is a bit off, even at 50%
Even just strafing the discs seem to be affected much more than 50% of your strafing speed

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
Problem is I think HiRez's definition of "inheritance" is a bit off, even at 50%
Even just strafing the discs seem to be affected much more than 50% of your strafing speed

Nah, it does indeed inherit 50% of your speed when strafing. Some people have suggested that inheritance should be turned off at walking velocities, although compensating for the inheritance even at that speed doesn't take that much getting used to, really.

When private servers come out, we can turn on 100% inheritance, if we want. I'm probably going to stick to those servers.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Read about Release date due today.
Downloaded the game.
Played the game - noticed there was something up with the framerates/mouse smoothness.
Google'ed it up - nothing relevant.
Came to the conclusion I was the only player on this planet getting trash framerates (30 fps-ish) on any settings running on Core i7 / GTX 570.
Said fuck it.
And now I am posting this on BUF - what a shame.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I've had nothing but framerate issues with T:A and I(as well as many others) have brought it up many times
I've even had framerates dip to near slideshow while inside tunnels

HiRez just sucks ass at optimizing, both their coders and their mappers

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Wait.. so that's it? Assuming 75% of the PC gamers actually downloading and trying this game have lower specs than mine, everyone is stuck playing a game meant to run on 60 FPS (and to be 100% honest, looks old tech for the frame bang) on ~30 FPS?

No.. that can't be?

EDIT: Here's me again with Google search. I see ini Tweaks for people running on card like the 6800 GT. I mean, I get that. Why would I want my game to look like shit when I use a GTX 570? I even get 40 FPS in the menus, FPS increases by ~10 when I tone down the settings to lowest.

Last edited: